[comp.dcom.telecom] Home Intercom Custom Calling Service

Dan.Birchall@samba.acs.unc.edu (08/09/90)

Just saw on the news here (Philadelphia) where Bell of PA. is now
going to offer a new custom calling service, Home Intercom...  Service
is aimed toward elderly, handicapped, and people with several phones
on the same line.  From a phone with the service, you can dial your
own number, and other phones on the line will give a distinctive ring.
Price is the usual two bucks and change per month.

Hoping that NJ Bell will also implement such a thing, since we have two
multi-phone lines here at home.

mingo@uunet.uu.net (Charles Hawkins Mingo) (08/20/90)

In article <10651@accuvax.nwu.edu> Dan.Birchall@samba.acs.unc.edu
writes:

>Just saw on the news here (Philadelphia) where Bell of PA. is now
>going to offer a new custom calling service, Home Intercom...  Service
>is aimed toward elderly, handicapped, and people with several phones
>on the same line.  From a phone with the service, you can dial your
>own number, and other phones on the line will give a distinctive ring.
>Price is the usual two bucks and change per month.

When I was growing up in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada we could do this
too.  The exchange (902/423-xxxx) dated from the early fifties, did
not allow touch-tone, and apparantly had this feature to accomodate
party line customers who wished to call one another (according to the
phone book, where I first discovered this).

Anyway, one dialed 41091, hung up, and the phones rang with a double
length ring.  You waited until the ringing stopped (meaning someone
else had answered the phone), and picked up yourself.

I had used this feature as recently as April 1988 (when I was
convalescing at home with a broken leg); however, when I tried it in
August 1989, after the exchange went digital, it worked no more.

Plus ca change, plus le meme chose.

Charlie Mingo			Internet: mingo@well.sf.ca.us
2209 Washington Circle #2	CI$:  71340,2152
Washington, DC  20037		AT&T:  202/785-2089