[comp.dcom.telecom] The LAW vs. Telephone Access Devices

annala%neuro.usc.edu@usc.edu (A J Annala) (08/14/90)

I do some data communications technician type contracting work from
time to time (e.g. installing modems, analog line testing, protocol
analysis, etc).  There have been notes on the network about police
confiscating equipment of the type I often use in my work.  These
devices include ATT Craft Test Set, Progressive Electronics 200B
Inductive Amplifier, Dracon D814 Impact Tool, and a Progressive 77M
Tone Generator.  The police claim is that such devices are telephone
access devices which should not be in the hands of the public.  I am
curious about whether any other technical people have been challenged
by the police and what answer has satisfied them to go away without
hassle.

All of these devices can be purchased over the counter or by mail at
very reasonable prices from Graybar Electric Company, 210 S. Anderson
Street, Los Angeles, CA 90033 (213)265-7000.  In this context it
appears to be to be completely ludicrous to claim these tools must not
be found in the possession of members of the public.  They are
ordinary tools.

AJ

TERRY@spcvxb.bitnet (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (08/15/90)

In article <10844@accuvax.nwu.edu>, annala%neuro.usc.edu@usc.edu (A J
Annala) writes:

> The police claim is that such devices are telephone
> access devices which should not be in the hands of the public.  I am
> curious about whether any other technical people have been challenged
> by the police and what answer has satisfied them to go away without
> hassle.

  Well, it *should* depend on where you are/what you're doing with
them.  If you're up on a pole in a parking lot in the middle of the
night, they should be more suspicious than if you're working in an
office in the middle of the night.

  It is always helpful to have the name and number of the person who
authorized your doing the work handy. I was installing for a customer
who had the misfortune to move his office during the great NJ phone
strike. Since he couldn't get any service orders through, and I
informed him of the probable backlog once the strike was over, we
decided to run our own poles and cable since it was all on his
property.

  I had a few inquisitive looks from the local police when I was up on
the poles, since there was a *lot* of vandalism in the area (things
like a pedastal terminal being pulled out of the ground by a pickup
truck). In fact, one of the customer's building feeds (500 pr) was
cut, and a *very* over-worked manager showed up to splice it. I wound
up splicing it while the manager got a well-deserved rest, since I was
about 4x faster.

  So, it depends on the situation. Even a simple screwdriver could be
considered burglar's tools in the right situation - but if you indeed
have business in the area, it shouldn't be a problem.

        Terry Kennedy           Operations Manager, Academic Computing
                                (& part-time freelance installer)
        terry@spcvxa.bitnet     St. Peter's College, US
        terry@spcvxa.spc.edu    (201) 915-9381

Jim Budler <jimb@silvlis.com> (08/15/90)

Annala) writes:

>I do some data communications technician type contracting work from
>time to time (e.g. installing modems, analog line testing, protocol
>analysis, etc).  There have been notes on the network about police
>confiscating equipment of the type I often use in my work.  These

[list of telecom devices deleted]

>Tone Generator.  The police claim is that such devices are telephone
>access devices which should not be in the hands of the public.  I am
>curious about whether any other technical people have been challenged
>by the police and what answer has satisfied them to go away without
>hassle.

>All of these devices can be purchased over the counter or by mail at

[locations deleted for brevity]

>appears to be to be completely ludicrous to claim these tools must not
>be found in the possession of members of the public.  They are
>ordinary tools.

Go down to your local hardware store. Buy a product called "Wonder
Bar", or for that matter any of the similar high tensile steel *flat*
crowbars.

They are *very* useful tools around the home.

*Don't* be caught carrying one of them at night behind someone else's
home.  The police call it a jemmy, and it is probable cause for arrest
on suspicion of burglary.

You can buy hollow point ammunition in any sporting goods store, but
the practical difference between a hollow point cartridge and a
"dum-dum" cartridge is none. And a "dum-dum" is illegal.

The police *understand* how to determine realistically whether you are
a burglar or a homeowner. They haven't a clue how to determine the
same with the type of instruments you described. So they turned to the
"experts", such as ATT and BellSouth.

I think it was prudent on their part to go to experts. What is
unfortunate is that they appear to have picked "experts" who have
vested interests, and are willing to exercise them. The "police" have
gotten burnt by BellSouth, and may be in the process of getting burnt
by ATT. One hopes they learn from it.

One point of view about this. If you were a policeman, and wanted to
contact someone in a phone company, who would you call? Right, the
*security guy*. Back in the old Marx Brothers movies, they were called
"House Dicks".

So now we have the police calling up their *security guy* at the phone
company and saying "How can I identify a burgler?"

Do you think they would get the same answer as they would get from Pat
Townson, Gene Spafford, or even Robert Morris (take your pick of jr.
or sr.)? I don't.

Oops, sorry. Too long. But I own a "Wonder Bar", a couple handguns,
and I recently bought over the counter some hollow point cartridges,
and now wonder if these are "dum-dums" in police terms. I have to
assume that since the "Wonder Bar" never leaves home, the pistols are
at home or at the range, or in between, that I only have to worry
during the "in between".

Sigh.

Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6061
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

GSM@icf.hrb.com (Gary S. Mayhew) (08/21/90)

Annala) writes:

> The police claim is that such devices are telephone
> access devices which should not be in the hands of the public.  I am
> curious about whether any other technical people have been challenged
> by the police and what answer has satisfied them to go away without
> hassle.

>>In this context it appears to be to be completely ludicrous to
>>claim these tools must not be found in the possession of members
>>of the public.  They are ordinary tools.

Here in the rolling green hills of central Pennsylvania, I seriously
doubt if any of the ``LOCAL'' police forces would even know what the
purpose of such tools constituted. However, in answer to your comment,
I believe that a very sraight-forward declaration of purpose would
seffice. I dabble into PBX installations on the side and would be
***stunned*** if stopped by the local authorities and questioned as to
"why I carry such equipment?".

Gary S. Mayhew   		Internet:	GSM@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    		Bitnet:	        GSM%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
State College, PA. USA 		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!gsm
(814) 238-4311; 237-6345 {DID}; 234-7720{FAX}