[comp.dcom.telecom] 800 Bypass

roy@cs.umn.edu> (08/21/90)

contact!djcl@uunet.uu.net (woody) writes:

> Are there any numbers out there that allow access to 800 numbers by
> bypassing zone restrictions?

Several years ago, when I still lived in Kenai, Alaska, I used GCI as
my LD carrier. In most cases, I could dial 800-numbers through GCI and
pay for a Seattle call (~0.15/min off-peak). As time went on, more and
more 800-numbers became available from Alaska, and I had less use for
this feature. Eventually, Alascom began offering access to nearly all
wide-zone 800's, as they became more competitive.

It's interesting to note that Kenai-Seattle is ~2800 miles.
Kenai-Anchorage is only 160 miles by road and 60 by air, yet a
Kenai-ANC call was 0.10/min off-peak. You don't even want to _know_
what Tymnet (via Alaskanet) cost!

Roy M. Silvernail | roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu | (tiny Telecom .sig :-)