[comp.dcom.telecom] 800 "Out-of-Band" Announcements

"DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN)" <DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu> (08/16/90)

Hi!

Quick question:

Why do you get the recording: "Your call can not be completed as
dialed..."  when you call a working/valid Canadian 800 number that
doesn't serve the US, while if you call a working/valid US number from
the US, but which doesn't serve your band/area code/whatever, you will
get the message: "You have dialed an 800 number which can not be
reached from your calling area."

Wouldn't it make more sense for AT&T to extend that "out of area"
message to Canadian 800 numbers as well, so that US callers will
realize that they must dial direct to Canada, rather than fall under
the impression that the firm in Canada which they are trying to
contact no longer exists?

Just wondering...

Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

[Moderator's Note: I think you will find the recordings vary from one
office to another as to their precise wording. Someone who set up the
recordings on your end simply was not consistent with the verbiage
used in other areas. I don't think there is any special intent behind
the version you hear versus what Canadians hear in reverse.  PT]

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (08/17/90)

In article <10915@accuvax.nwu.edu> DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu)
(DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN) writes:

>Why do you get the recording: "Your call can not be completed as
>dialed..."  when you call a working/valid Canadian 800 number that
>doesn't serve the US, while if you call a working/valid US number from
>the US, but which doesn't serve your band/area code/whatever, you will
>get the message: "You have dialed an 800 number which can not be
>reached from your calling area."

>Wouldn't it make more sense for AT&T to extend that "out of area"

>[Moderator's Note: I think you will find the recordings vary from one
>office to another as to their precise wording. Someone who set up the
>recordings on your end simply was not consistent with the verbiage
>used in other areas. I don't think there is any special intent behind
>the version you hear versus what Canadians hear in reverse.  PT]

What Pat says is true but that doesn't really explain the difference
that the poster refers to.  First this is not an AT&T issue.  The
screening of 800 happens in the end offices (operating companies) and
not in AT&Ts LD network (or any other carrier's network, for that
matter).

The difference has to do with the traditional "banding" of wats calls
and the fact that Canada does not have a "band" in that scheme.
BELLCORE keeps us updated on new 800 codes and advises us which band
they belong in IF THE CODES ARE ASSIGNED TO AT&T FOR U.S. USE.  There
is no such mechanism to keep us updated on Canadian codes that are
used only within Canada so as far as we are concerned (in the U.S.)
those codes are simply unassigned as opposed to being "out-of-band".
I agree with you that the out-of-band announcement would probably be
better but there doesn't seem to be any practical way to administer
it, partly because of the communication problem between countries and
partly because there really isn't a band for Canada.  Not a defense of
the situation, just an explanation.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

Linc Madison <rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu> (08/23/90)

Two years ago, I was in western Canada, and placed a couple of calls
to the 800 number for the ATM-locator service on my ATM network.  They
use the same 800 number for calls from anywhere in the US/Canada.

 From Vancouver, B.C., the calls completed fine, but then when I tried
 from Victoria, B.C., I got a recording that NNX-XXXX is not a working
number.  I didn't get a chance to look up to see where the particular
prefix was located, but it seemed that the mapping of the 800 number
to a POTS line was very specific, or else the switch on the island was
out of date in its database.

Linc Madison   =   linc@tongue1.berkeley.edu