[comp.dcom.telecom] SIT Tone Sequences

CTC Wang Labs <0004248165@mcimail.com> (08/24/90)

Some time ago, there were several inqueries and comments concerning
SIT tones (the do-da-dee tones) and their uses:

In Digest dated 18 July, Kenny Crudup <lotus!kcrudup@uunet.uu.net>
writes:

> In article <9798@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>
> writes:

> >Does this give anyone any ideas about saving money when checking your
> >messages on your machine or voice mail? Oops, did I say that?

> Don't worry. Beat you to it. What *I* need are frequencies....
> ($10 bucks says the mod ices this note....)

> [Moderator's Note: You lose. I don't know what kind of 'frequencies'
> you are seeking, but they all are of public record at the FCC. Could
> you be more specific in your request, please?   PT]

I suspect that the following is what Kenny is looking for:

Special Information Tones (SIT Codes) are used by some telephone
companies for automating various reporting and network observation
operations.  They are special coded tone sequences transmitted at the
beginning of network advisory recorded announcements.

There are four sequences defined:

Seq  Symb  Catagory                 Announcements

 1    NC   Trunk Blockage           No Circuit, emergency.
 2    IC   Customer Irregularity    Vacant Number, AIS, CENTREX Number
                                    Change and Non-Working Station, Access
                                    Code Not Dialed/Dialed in Error,
                                    Manual Intercept Operator.
 3    VC   Vacant Code              Vacant Code.
 4    RO   Equipment Irregularity   Reorder Announcement.

The tone sequences are coded as follows:

Seq    First Tone/Duration    Second Tone/Duration    Third Tone/Duration

 1     985.2 Hz / 380 msec    1428.5 Hz / 380 msec    1776.7 Hz / 380 msec
 2     913.8 Hz / 274 msec    1370.6 Hz / 274 msec    1776.7 Hz / 380 msec
 3     985.2 Hz / 380 msec    1370.6 Hz / 274 msec    1776.7 Hz / 380 msec
 4     913.8 Hz / 274 msec    1428.5 Hz / 380 msec    1776.7 Hz / 380 msec

Note that these tones are defined for 'advisory messages' and are not
(usually) used for billing or supervisory purposes.

P.S.  Kenny:  Did you ever pay off our esteemed Moderator??   dab

Dave Bonney      <bonney@office.wang.com>      MCIMail: 422-4552