[comp.dcom.telecom] Teletype Marked "Crypto" and Other Found Treasures

Daniel Birchall <SHAG@mercury.bitnet> (08/15/90)

My father and I recently acquired (read: took from a pile of trash
marked "free") a teletype machine.  I don't know much about such
machines, and as far as I am concerned, there is nothing special about
this one. Personally, I didn't want to get it.  :)  However, on the
stand (under the keyboard part) someone labeled it (with a black
marker, evidently) CRYPTO.  Does that mean that this machine will put
out encrypted transmissions?  Or was it used by some department that
had 'crypto' level clearances?  Any guesses?

Well, my father looked through the stuff we trashpicked, and we have a
few questions [I am presuming that telecommunications includes radio
frequency] one of the widgets is a CV-89A/URA-8A "Frequency Shift
Converter" ... what the heck is that? :) Also, there was an RCA AR-88
Receiver, 540 KC to 32 MC ... Final question, who is or was W2VZM?

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) (08/17/90)

  Sounds like a pile of surplus government equipment from one of the
services. The CV-89A is a device for converting levels (in this case,
the current loop from the teletype) into a pair of tones for
transmission.  It most likely does the inverse function also. In
short, it is a modem.

  The AR-88 is a general coverage shortwave receiver.

  W2VZM is an amateur radio call. There is a server that is
telnet'able that could provide you with the 'who' behind the call.

Dave Ritchie N4DJS

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (08/17/90)

In <10923@accuvax.nwu.edu> Daniel Birchall <SHAG@mercury.bitnet>
writes:

>My father and I recently acquired (read: took from a pile of trash
>marked "free") a teletype machine.

>[marked] CRYPTO.  Does that mean that this machine will put
>out encrypted transmissions?  Or was it used by some department that
>had 'crypto' level clearances?  Any guesses?

>one of the widgets is a CV-89A/URA-8A "Frequency Shift
>Converter" ... what the heck is that? :) Also, there was an RCA AR-88
>Receiver, 540 KC to 32 MC ... Final question, who is or was W2VZM?

Ah, old memories!  Sounds to me like you picked up the NON-crypto part
of an old radio-teletype set.  The CV-89 converted the frequency-shift
keying into marks and spaces for the teletype machine.  From the
"Crypto" part, at least the table, if not the whole set, at one time
was hooked through a cryptographic device.  (I guess another
explanation would be an offline crypto unit.  I certainly spent many
an hour repairing them).

Your final question, W2VZM is an amateur call sign.  I'll leave it for
the hams in the group to explain if there was anything special about
it.

riddle@hoss.unl.edu
riddle@crchpux.unl.edu
mike.riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org
Sysop on 1:285/27 @ Fidonet

Gabe Wiener <gabe@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu> (08/17/90)

In article <10953@accuvax.nwu.edu> riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H.
Riddle) writes:

>Your final question, W2VZM is an amateur call sign.  I'll leave it for
>the hams in the group to explain if there was anything special about
>it.

I checked the North American directory and there is no W2VZM currently
issued.  The license may have lapsed.  I suppose that you could dig
back to older Callbooks if you wanted to find out whose set it was.

Gabe Wiener - Columbia Univ.     "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings
gabe@ctr.columbia.edu             to be seriously considered as a means of
gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu       communication. The device is inherently of
72355.1226@compuserve.com         no value to us."  -Western Union memo, 1877

A note from a reader sent to someone else (with a copy to me) noted
that it was now a Silent Key.  PAT]

thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu (Thomas Lapp) (08/19/90)

> I checked the North American directory and there is no W2VZM currently
> issued.  The license may have lapsed.  I suppose that you could dig
> back to older Callbooks if you wanted to find out whose set it was.

> A note from a reader sent to someone else (with a copy to me) noted
> that it was now a Silent Key.  PAT]

I've heard the term, but do most readers know that a Silent Key is an
amateur operator who has died?

tom

internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas
Location     : Newark, DE, USA

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu> (08/24/90)

Riddle) writes:

> Your final question, W2VZM is an amateur call sign.  I'll leave it for
> the hams in the group to explain if there was anything special about
> it.

Nothing special about W2VZM.  It is not listed in my 1990 Callbook,
but I have an old 1963 Callbook, and it shows Joseph G. McGettigan of
1880 N. 42nd St, Pensauken, NJ as the holder of W2VZM.  You probably
inherited some RTTY gear from a ham who passed on.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA   Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544    Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or,  tad@ssc.UUCP