[comp.dcom.telecom] What is a "Cable Address"?

DJB@scri1.scri.fsu.edu (08/15/90)

Thanks for the interesting articles on TELEX/TWX in the past few
weeks.  Can anyone explain what a "cable address" is?  For example,
the cable address for the Gibraltar Broadcasting Corp. is
"Broadcasts."  If I wanted to send a cable to them, how would I do it,
how would it get there, what would they receive it on, what role does
the address play, who keeps track of the address, etc.

Davie Brightbill

[Moderator's Note: Cable addresses are nothing more than shorthand for
the entire telex address. They were devised many years ago by Western
Union as a sort of precurser to what we call 'speed dial' today, or
'abbreviated dialing'. Except, you really did not dial anything. You
merely passed the cable address to the Western Union agent/operator,
who had a lookup table of addresses versus telex numbers. They were
used as advertising gimmicks, and ways to easily remember long
numbers. Although 'cablegrams' were sent out of the United States and
'telegrams' were sent domestically, they were the same difference, and
anyone could have a 'cable address' if they paid Western Union to list
it in their tables of same. 'Cable addresses' tended toward to be
easy to remember words and phrases. A few I remember still were
'University' (for the U of Chicago); 'Beacon Hill' (I forget who owned
it); 'TribTower' (Chicago Tribune); and 'Symphony' (The Chicago Symphony
Orchestra). This was all 1950/60-ish stuff. I did not know they were
still making them available. I guess any telex carrier can do it.  In
your example, you would call Western Union and tell the operator to
send a message to the cable address "Broadcasts". That is, *IF* s/he
even knows what you are talking about! :)  PAT]

Lars Poulsen <lars@spectrum.cmc.com> (08/16/90)

In article <10932@accuvax.nwu.edu> DJB@scri1.scri.fsu.edu writes:

>   ...  Can anyone explain what a "cable address" is?  ...

>[Moderator's Note: Cable addresses are nothing more than shorthand for
>the entire telex address. They were devised many years ago by Western
>Union as a sort of precurser to what we call 'speed dial' today, or
>'abbreviated dialing'. Except, you really did not dial anything. You
>merely passed the cable address to the Western Union agent/operator,
>who had a lookup table of addresses versus telex numbers. ...]

Before FAX, there was TELEX (TWX), and before TELEX there was
TELEGRAPH.  In the original incarnation, telegraph was an "express
mail service", where you took your (short) letter down to the railway
station[*]; the telegraph operator sent the message in morse code down
the line, until it wound up in the destination city, where it would
get transcribed on paper and be delivered by messenger.

In order to deliver the message, it needed to contain the destination
street address. Since the messages were charged by the word, this
could be quite a significant fraction of the cost, as well as being
cumbersome and error prone. Thus began the practice of registering
one-word "cable addresses", such as "Tribune, Chicago". I.e. the
address would be just one word besides the destination city name.
Since this produced less revenue for the cable carrier, they charged
for registering the address.

When TELEX was introduced, it was first used as an update to the
implementation of the telegraph system. TTYs operated on
point-to-point lines, and operators carried punched tapes across the
room for the next hop of the journey of the message. This was faster
than morse code, and required less operator training. Later, automated
circuit switches (imported from the telephone world) allowed
end-to-end connections, for the duration of the message, and allowed
the wire carriers to lease terminals to subscribers for installation
on their premises, similar to telephones. This must have happened in
the 1940's or thereabouts.  While the storefront small-user service
remained unchanged, it was at that point merely an emulation of the
old user interface; the whole system ran internally on dial-up TELEX
service.

When I lived in Denmark until ten years ago, the post office still
offered telegram service, complete with messenger delivery. You could
also phone in telegraph messages, and they would be charged on your
phone bill, in the same manner as operator-assisted long-distance
telephone calls. There was a SEPARATE service offered by the phone
company, called "phono-telex" which was cheaper, for submitting
messages to telex subscribers; i.e. there was no messenger involved.

By the 1970's, old fashioned telegrams were only used for formal
greetings to formal parties, such as weddings, confirmations,
anniversaries, cityhood anniversaries, ship launchings, party
congresses etc. For such occasions, the Postal Service offered formal
"celebration forms" with art prints in various styles. I recently
heard that the old fashioned telegraph service has now been completely
abandoned, but at the same time souvenir covers are now offered as a
delivery option for special delivery fax messages.

The more things change, the more we get to appreciate the funny ways
in which history survives.

[*] The railways needed telegraphs for co-ordinating operations; it was
natural that they should try to make a business out of excess capacity.
But as the telegraph business grew, it apparently was spun off. I often
wonder if the "Western Union" company is not really a railway company
that has stopped running trains. Pat, do you have a piece on the history
of WU ?

/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

[Moderator's Note: There were numerous small telegraph companies all
over the United States in the 1860-80 period. A group of investors
began buying them up, using a lot of the same tricks -- uh, excuse me,
I mean 'business techniques' -- Ted Vail would use a half century
later to grab up hundreds of tiny telcos everywhere for his 'one way
of doing things' Bell Telephone System. It was this merger, or 'union'
of many telegraph companies, all of whom would be sharing their lines
and facilities which led to the organization we call Western Union
Telegraph Co. The fact that there were few competitors left in the
United States attested to their success in monopolizing the market.
Just as Ted Vail and his pals began an agressive effort to grab as
much as possible once the patents on the telephone expired -- which
forced them to deal with competitors -- so Samuel Morse and his
partners wasted no time once Mr. Morse's patent was due to expire.
By the time the telephone was invented, Western Union was already a
huge organization.  Unlike Alex Bell's first message on the telephone,
("Watson! Come here, I want you."), the first telegraph message from
Samuel Morse to an associate was "What Hath God Wrought?"  Indeed.  PAT]

WANCHO@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (Frank J. Wancho) (08/18/90)

Hmm.  I was under the now probably mistaken impression that cablegrams
had a slightly different connotation from telegrams.  Cablegrams were
a special category of telegrams that sent to overseas destinations via
undersea cable, rather than simply by wire (or wireless).  Thus, a
large corporation, such as a shipping firm, might have had two
addresses, one for telegrams, and one for cablegrams, i.e., a cable
address.

Frank

[Moderator's Note: The main difference, I think, was that 'cablegrams'
were telegrams going to overseas destinations on the cable. But a
network address via the cable was not a cable address. As per messages
in recent issues, a cable address was simply an abbreviated form of
the address for any subscriber who wanted to pay extra for the ease in
addressing and/or advertising value of the phrase.  PAT]

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (08/20/90)

In article <10932@accuvax.nwu.edu>, The Moderator writes (in a note):

>Orchestra). This was all 1950/60-ish stuff. I did not know they were
>still making them available. I guess any telex carrier can do it.  In
>your example, you would call Western Union and tell the operator to
>send a message to the cable address "Broadcasts". That is, *IF* s/he
>even knows what you are talking about! :)  PAT]

Cable addresses are alive and well.  To contact a friend of mine in
Western Samoa, for instance, the procedure is to either cable UNDEVPRO
APIA (the U.N. Development Program office in Apia, the capital of
W.S.), or failing that, to cable AGGIES APIA (Aggie Grey's Hotel in
Apia).  I'm not quite sure what "failing that" means in this context,
unless it means that the UNDEVPRO machine is off-line or busted -- not
unlikely in W.S. conditions.

cowan@marob.masa.com			(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)
			e'osai ko sarji la lojban

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Tad Cook) (08/24/90)

> Unlike Alex Bell's first message on the telephone,
> ("Watson! Come here, I want you."), the first telegraph message from
> Samuel Morse to an associate was "What Hath God Wrought?"  Indeed.  PAT]

Well, not really.  Any "first" telegraph message is lost in antiquity.
S.F.B. Morse sent "What hath God Wrought?" when he demonstrated the
telegraph before members of Congress, when he was seeking backing for
his invention from the U.S. government.

Tad Cook    Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544   Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or,  tad@ssc.UUCP