[comp.dcom.telecom] Billing of Multi-Lines

la063249@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (08/13/90)

>[Moderator's Note: My two lines are both BILLED on the first line. I
>get one bill each month, with long distance charges from the second
>line appended on a separate page. When I tried the ANI number just now
>from the second line, it read me the second, or calling number. Maybe
>'billing number' is a local matter, depending on how your local telco
>chooses to handle it. Maybe in my case I have two 'billing numbers'
>with both bills shown on one monthly statement. I think there are some
>semantics used here to define 'billing' and 'calling' numbers.  PAT]

Here is Southern Bell Land ... There are two ways to have lines billed
together.. The first way is that they set up two separate accounts and
put a 'pointer' on the second line that says to print billing info
with the first.  This cause AT&T reachout billing to show up on only
one line.

The second is when you have one account with two numbers. This is how
your account should be set up for calling plans to show up on both
lines. It took Southern Bell and AT&T four months to figure this out.

I assume this affect the ANI information ... not sure.

Bill

[Moderator's Note: I get the 'benefits' of Reach Out America on both
lines for a single fee. All LD charges go through ROA even though they
are shown on my bill as 'calls from xxx-xxxx' (meaning my second
line).  PAT]

Rich Sims <rich@pro-exchange.cts.com> (08/17/90)

>> [Moderator's Note: My two lines are both BILLED on the first line. I
>> get one bill each month, with long distance charges from the second
>> line appended on a separate page.

> Here is Southern Bell Land ... There are two ways to have lines billed
> together.. The first way is that they set up two separate accounts and
> put a 'pointer' on the second line that says to print billing info
> with the first.  This cause AT&T reachout billing to show up on only
> one line.

> The second is when you have one account with two numbers.

> [Moderator's Note: I get the 'benefits' of Reach Out America on both
> lines for a single fee. All LD charges go through ROA ....

I'm about as deep into "Southern Bell Land" as you can get (South
Florida), and my billing operates precisely as described in the
Moderator's Notes.

I have two lines that are separate accounts, but BILLED to one line
for convenience.  When I started up ROA, I gave AT&T the second number
(the non-billing one) but have the ROA rates on both lines.  Each bill
shows a full breakdown of all ROA-eligible calls, grouped by number,
and a "total" ROA charge which includes all eligible calls made on
either line.

According to the folks at AT&T, the criteria is purely the "billing"
arrangement.  From discussions with them, it seems that I could apply
the ROA rates to any number of lines for a single fee, as long as they
are all BILLED to a single number.  That obviously works out in my
favor, but is a bit surprising, since the billing arrangements are not
made with AT&T, but with the local telco.

I did notice several occasions where calls made on the first line were
charged at the standard rate, but I *always* received a "credit" on
the next month's bill for the difference between the actual charge and
the charge that should have been applied using ROA rates.  At least, I
assume it was the correct difference, I never bothered to figure it
out.  The impressive thing (to me) was that I got the correction and
credit from AT&T automatically, I have NEVER had to call and question
the bill!

This hasn't happened for quite a long time now, though, so perhaps
they have a different system for figuring it all out these days.

My other lines are also billed to a single number, not the same as the
first two I mentioned, and are not included in the ROA plan.  In the
summer months, this results in a monthly "reminder" from AT&T that I
could be saving money by using ROA on those lines.  I have never felt
the need to do this, but I'm curious as to what happens if I simply
call Southern Bell and arrange to have ALL the lines billed to the
same number as the first two.  I am fairly certain that's not EXACTLY
what AT&T has in mind with those reminders, though!  :-)

la063249@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (08/19/90)

Stuff from me and Moderator deleted.

The Moderator must have both the numbers as part of the same ACCOUNT.

 >I have two lines that are separate accounts, but BILLED to one line
 >for convenience.  When I started up ROA, I gave AT&T the second number
 >(the non-billing one) but have the ROA rates on both lines.  Each bill
 >shows a full breakdown of all ROA-eligible calls, grouped by number,
 >and a "total" ROA charge which includes all eligible calls made on
 >either line.

Are you sure they are separate accounts?

>According to the folks at AT&T, the criteria is purely the "billing"
>arrangement.  From discussions with them, it seems that I could apply
>the ROA rates to any number of lines for a single fee, as long as they
>are all BILLED to a single number.  That obviously works out in my
>favor, but is a bit surprising, since the billing arrangements are not
>made with AT&T, but with the local telco.

Well as in all companies sometimes AT&T (The Atlanta GA offfice for
sure) doesnt know what the H*LL they are talking about half of the
time. THey usually give different answers to the same questions.  Only
if they are the SAME account!! As I stated in a previous posting.

>I did notice several occasions where calls made on the first line were
>charged at the standard rate, but I *always* received a "credit" on
>the next month's bill for the difference between the actual charge and
>the charge that should have been applied using ROA rates.  At least, I
>assume it was the correct difference, I never bothered to figure it
>out.  The impressive thing (to me) was that I got the correction and
>credit from AT&T automatically, I have NEVER had to call and question
>the bill!

The reason you always received credit automatically is because a AT&T
representative checked your charges monthly and submitted the credit
manually.

You state that calls on the first line use to be charged at regular
rate and then credit the next moth.  Well that was because the phone
numbers where set up with separate accounts. For example my account
number is 407 676 xxxx 321 while the first number is 407 676 xxxx and
the second is 407 952 xxxx ..  When they were separte accounts the 407
952 xxxx line was account # 407 952 xxxx 453.

>This hasn't happened for quite a long time now, though, so perhaps
>they have a different system for figuring it all out these days.

Yeah because Southern Bell as transfered both numbers to ONE account.

(In the month that things became okay did you have a lot of credits
and charges on the Sothern Bell part? Things like credit for service
removed month xx to month uu?)

>the need to do this, but I'm curious as to what happens if I simply
>call Southern Bell and arrange to have ALL the lines billed to the
>same number as the first two.  I am fairly certain that's not EXACTLY
>what AT&T has in mind with those reminders, though!  :-)

Those calls will still be billed at regular rates and all your charges
will be printed on the same bill.

I will be happy to discuss this in email with anyone who would like.

Bill Huttig
la063249@zach.fit.edu

lars@spectrum.cmc.com (Lars Poulsen) (08/21/90)

[From PAT:]

In article <11043@accuvax.nwu.edu> Bill Huttig <la063249@zach.fit.edu>
writes:

>The Moderator must have both the numbers as part of the same ACCOUNT.
>Are you sure they are separate accounts?

I must confess to a lack of understanding; if the two lines are billed
to the same number, and the charges appear together on one bill, how
can that not be one account ? How do you define the word "account" ?

In my use of the word "account", I would use the term to define a
subscriber record, for which a bill is written, and for which a
running total of amounts due is kept. I.e. you may have two accounts
in the same name, with separate "customer" records in the accounting
database, and for which separate bills are issued (probably on
different billing cycles). Or you may have one combined account,
aggregating the billing for several different lines, possibly with
enough itemization to permit tracing each charge to the line from
which it was incurred.

Is there a defined use of the word "account" in telco contexts, that
is different from this?

Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

Bill Huttig <la063249@zach.fit.edu> (08/23/90)

In article <11113@accuvax.nwu.edu> lars@spectrum.cmc.com (Lars
Poulsen) writes:

[Stuff PAT and I wrote about his phone billing deleted.]

>I must confess to a lack of understanding; if the two lines are billed
>to the same number, and the charges appear together on one bill, how
>can that not be one account ? How do you define the word "account" ?

[Lars definition deleted]

A account is a file on the BOC's computer giving a account # (which is
the billing number plus three digits ... the three digits are the time
the account was opened.  (Don't ask me what they do between 10-1 :))
It also contains the address and other info about the customer.
Associated with the account can be one or more phone numbers.

Now if you have two or more accounts and recive one bill then the
other accounts have a field that says 'take all charges and forward
them to account NPA NNX XXXX xxx for billing ... it normally
calculates the charges before the transfer of charges. (It appears to
do that).

I hope that clarifies things.

Bill

[Moderator's Note: Actually, the three digits are the RAO,  or
Regional Accounting Office code. At least they were prior to the
tragedy. I can't imagine them being used now for 'the time the account
was opened'.   PAT]

la063249@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (08/24/90)

>[Moderator's Note: Actually, the three digits are the RAO,  or
>Regional Accounting Office code. At least they were prior to the
>tragedy. I can't imagine them being used now for 'the time the account
>was opened'.   PAT]

Nope they are time account was opened for years here at Southern Bell
according to the lady that told me about it. There are actually more
numbers ...

For example my current account is 407-676-xxxx 321 3147 but on the
payment part under the date is:    CP 0514 R07 046267

The R07 is the RAO and the 3147 is the central office I think, but the
321 is the time the account was opened.