[comp.dcom.telecom] System 75 Abbreviated Dialing

lawrence@cs.ucla.edu (Lawrence Roney) (07/26/90)

Your system administrator should be able to pull up form:

	abbreviated personal xxxx   <--- your extension here

On the console they should be able to enter # and * symbols in the
provided field.  E-Mail me for further info as to save net bandwidth.

Lawrence Roney - Santa Monica College Telecommunications Department
N6YFN 		 1900 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405-1628 Mail
UUCP: uunet!ucla-cs!smcnet!lawrence Internet: lawrence@smc.edu

David Ptasnik <davep@u.washington.edu> (08/23/90)

In article 7629 of comp.dcom.telecom, GREEN@wharton.upenn.edu (Scott
D. Green) writes:

>Does anyone out there in PBX-land know how to program a # or * into a
>S75 Abbreviated Dial (1-button speeddial) string?  In a normal dial

Sorry that it has taken so long to reply to this, but I just attended
an AT&T System 75 training course.  You cannot send a # in any way
from a 75.  Hard to believe but true.  It cannot be dialed manually,
and it cannot be embedded in a speed dialing string.  AT&T doesn't use
it, so it must not be important to them.  At least, neither the AT&T
instructor, nor any of the eight class members could get it to do it.
This is with the latest software available for the switch.  Coming
from a Key System background, I found the limitations on this switch
very disconcerting.  I thought PBX's were supposed to provide more
user functions, not fewer.

davep@u.washington.edu

[Moderator's Note: So if I use a bank by phone service, a digital
display pager, or dial international calls and would prefer to time
myself out with an octothorpe on the end I am high and dry with a
System 75, eh?  Marvelous.   PAT]

faunt@cisco.com (Doug Faunt N6TQS 415-688-8269) (08/24/90)

Sorry, this is incorrect.  We have a System 75 here, and the "#" is
used with the Octel Voicemail system, and works just fine, manually.
There are also "#"'s in the system abbreviated dialing strings, and
that function also works. We're running V1R3.

klb@pegasus.att.com (Kevin L. Blatter) (08/24/90)

In article <11251@accuvax.nwu.edu>, davep@u.washington.edu (David
Ptasnik) writes:

> In article 7629 of comp.dcom.telecom, GREEN@wharton.upenn.edu (Scott
> D. Green) writes:

> >Does anyone out there in PBX-land know how to program a # or * into a
> >S75 Abbreviated Dial (1-button speeddial) string?  In a normal dial

> Sorry that it has taken so long to reply to this, but I just attended
> an AT&T System 75 training course.  You cannot send a # in any way
> from a 75.  Hard to believe but true.  It cannot be dialed manually,

Yes it does sound incredibly odd to me.  What happens if you dial it
manually?  No tone generated?  We have a system 85 here in the
building and an octothorpe is an integral part of the operation of the
"voice terminal".  I use the octothorpe key several times a day to
retrieve my messages from AUDIX.  (The octothorpe key is an integral
part of the AUDIX product -- it would be impossible to use without
it.)  I have also used the key several times to call my bank and
perform financial transactions.  Never have I seen it where I could
not use the key.  I don't know who originally devised the
specification which the world now uses for DTMF dialing, but I have
always believed that AT&T has tried to comply to that specification.
It is a part of every AT&T specification that I have seen which refers
to dialing on the system 85, 75 or 5ESS.

The reason I bring up the stuff about using it with a System 85 is
that the voice terminals for the '85 are identical to those of the
'75.  While working on a previous assignment with the '75 we used the
octothorpe key for several programming features.

I'm not questioning the abilities or findings of the original posters
or anything like that.  My guess is that the PBX is not configured
properly and the problems stem from that.

Perhaps someone from Bell Labs in Denver where the System 75's are
made can give a more accurate description of what these people have
been experiencing and what to do to correct it.

Kevin L. Blatter
AT&T - Bell Labs
Lincroft, NJ

Disclaimer -- Even though it may sound like I am speaking for the
company, it truth I am not, nor would I ever speak for the company
unless they told me what the company wants said.

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (08/25/90)

Ptasnik) writes:

> Sorry that it has taken so long to reply to this, but I just attended
> an AT&T System 75 training course.  You cannot send a # in any way
> from a 75.  Hard to believe but true.  It cannot be dialed manually,

I don't believe this is true.  When I was on a System 75, I used to
dial many international calls, using # as a terminator.  I am sure it
was transmitted, since if I forgot it, the setup was noticeably
longer.

I also recently accessed my Audix system from someone on a System 75,
and used the # a lot.

Herman Silbiger