[comp.dcom.telecom] Last Laugh! Re: Phone Calls to Kuwait

trebor@uunet.uu.net (Robert J Woodhead) (08/26/90)

In article <11239@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>I found that calls to Kuwait (country code 965) are being intercepted
>with message "914-1T": "Due to an emergency situation in the country
>you are calling, your call cannot be completed at this time.  Please
>try your call again later."

At the risk of an awful joke, the intercept message could have been:

	"We're sorry, but the country you have called is
	 no longer in service.  Please watch CNN, and then
	 dial again..."

Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  !uunet!biar!trebor trebor@biar.UUCP

[Moderator's Note: That is funny ... but it is *not* funny, if you get
my drift. Thanks to modern telecommunications, the mid-east crisis
will be the first 'war' -- or police action, or whatever -- to be
broadcast live to the world on television. In the second war and
during the Korean operation we got the newsreels at the Forum Theatre
downtown; during Vietnam we had coverage on the television; now we get
live press conferences from both sides, and when the big weapons start
firing (and don't you think they will soon?), CNN will be there live
to show it all, from first shot to final surrender. Maybe someone will
start a 900 number you can call to listen for five minutes at a time.
Let's hope for a peaceful solution soon.  PAT]