confirmation of my two business numbers she came back and told me that
they were going to remove the charge.

Lessons:

#1--When your phone dies, take a DIFFERENT phone outside to check
    your service jack.
#2--Be persistent. :-)

Questions:

#1--I've had two of these damn PacTel FE 5300 phones go bad, one
    was bad when I bought it and this one went bad after a year.
    Is it even worth trying to get this one repaired?
#2--If so, does anyone have a phone number?
#3--If not, should I avoid 2-line phones in general when I buy
    a replacement?

Al

Jordan Hayes <jordan@morgan.com> (08/24/90)

I have had Panasonic three-line phones (3170?) that I got for $169.
Your mileage may vary since I live in NYC and I also am a good haggler
 ;-).  They have conference, hold, speakerphone, 50 programmable
numbers, good feel, wall or desk, music-on-hold jack (sub-miniature,
pretty cool), automatic outgoing line hunter, three input jacks for
folks who can't get an RJ-25 out of the phone company or Rat Shack,
although the first jack also accepts an RJ-25 with all three lines on
it. I treat it like a sick dog and it has never given me a problem.

I even have a *really* clumsy girlfriend who seems to drag one of them
(I have three) off the four-foot-high table it sits on to crash down
onto the floor once per week.

jordan

Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org (Jack Winslade) (08/26/90)

In a message of <23 Aug 90 20:00:10>, Jordan Hayes writes:

 > I have had Panasonic three-line phones (3170?) that I got for $169.
 > They have conference, hold, speakerphone, 50 programmable

Do you (or anyone) know for sure if they have a 'real' conference
facility (bridged, amplified, equalized, etc.) or do they just do some
kind of funky parallel or transformer coupling of the lines, which
results in the end parties having to shout in order to be heard by
each other over the line loss ??

Thanks.

Good Day!        JSW

[1:285/666@fidonet] DRBBS Technical BBS, Omaha (1:285/666)
 --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org