[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering Machines as Room Bug?

0003829147@mcimail.com (Sander J. Rabinowitz) (08/25/90)

In reference to a TELECOM issue of 24 August 1990, Tom Neff <tneff@
bfmny0.bfm.com> wrote the following:

"I turned on the shortwave receiver in my apartment this morning and
was flipping past the 5-6 MHz neighborhood when I distinctly a voice
coming from the speaker.  It was my friend in the other room!  I
couldn't believe it. . .

". . .So I started unplugging things.  Speakers... no.  Radios...  no.
The phone itself... no.  The answering machine... YES! . . ."

The message went on to ask whether other Panasonic answering machines
broadcast on radio frequencies.  Tom Neff's machine was a Panasonic
KX-T1470.

I own a Panasonic KT-T1450 which I had purchased only 48 hours ago on
sale at a local KMart, as well as a Sony ICF2010 shortwave receiver,
and I wanted to see if I could recreate the above events.  As it
turned out, when the answering machine was idle but turned on, it did
send out signals on 5,655 kHz.  I then hooked up my tape recorder to
the radio, and deliberately started speaking within various distances
from the answering machine.  When I played the tape back, I did
recognize my voice, but it sounded so muffled as to make the signal
useless for intrusion purposes.

Two other things I noticed with my model: 1) The signal cuts off when
the tape players are activated.  In other words, it appears that
telephone messages do not get sent over the air.  2) The apparent
strength of the answering machine signal seemed to depend on whether
or not the short wave receiver was plugged into an A.C. wall socket.
When it was plugged in, I could pick up the signal as described above,
but when the radio ran off of batteries, the receiver had to be
practically next to the answering machine for the signal to be
received.

My tentative findings, then: Yes, the answering machine may be
broadcasting, but a) the audio distortion is horrible, and b) the
signal may not travel far beyond the confines of your living room.

* * * Sander J. Rabinowitz  0003829147@mcimail.com  * * *

petrilli@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Chris Petrilli) (08/27/90)

In article <11340@accuvax.nwu.edu> 0003829147@mcimail.com (Sander J.
Rabinowitz) writes:

>In reference to a TELECOM issue of 24 August 1990, Tom Neff <tneff@
>bfmny0.bfm.com> wrote the following:

>"I turned on the shortwave receiver in my apartment this morning and
>was flipping past the 5-6 MHz neighborhood when I distinctly a voice
>coming from the speaker.  It was my friend in the other room!  I
>couldn't believe it. . .

> [. . .] When I played the tape back, I did
>recognize my voice, but it sounded so muffled as to make the signal
>useless for intrusion purposes.

[... he continues by noting that when plugged into the AC wall socket,
he is able to receive a much stronger signal than when running off
batteries...]

Being someone interested in radio propagation, and working with alot
of radio equipment, it would appear to me that electrical circuits in
both the answering machine, and your Sony radio are not too well
isolated from AC noise.  Apparantly, the Panasonic machine is
modulating the AC carrier in some way, and your radio is picking that
up ... this means that it would most likely be just as strong at your
neighbors house (as long as you are on the same power transformer).  I
could be wrong, but this would be the most likely cause of something
like this happening ... you might try isolating the Panasonic from the
wall with some sort of line filter (I like the DEC VAX filters myself,
but...) that goes through an isolation transformer ... if it still
appears, I'm wrong.

+ Chris Petrilli                                    "Opinons represented here
| University of Texas at Austin                      do not necessarily
| INTERNET: petrilli@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu              represent those of a sane
| SNAILMAIL: 429 Brady Lane, Austin, Texas, 78746    person.  Take them as
+ PHONE:     +1 512 327 0986                         simply that."