[comp.dcom.telecom] Area Code Data Requested

kjb@cs.brown.edu (Ken Basye) (08/21/90)

I'm looking for a machine-readable copy of a list of U.S. and Canadian
cities and their area codes.  What I really want is the location of
some site I can ftp the list from.  I'd settle for just not having to
type in the meager list from the front of the phone book, but a more
extensive list would be better.

I'm looking for this information because I find myself frequently
trying to get directory information about some company in some town
whose area code I can only guess at using the map in the book.
Alternatively, I have the number of some company and want to see where
they are located without searching the map for the right area code.
Incidently, while the placement of the state borders in the map is
pretty accurate, have a look at a real map and compare the location of
some of the cities on the area code map sometime when you need a
laugh.  Trying to locate the right area code by triangulation is
clearly out.

You can see what my solution will be, but if you have some other way
of solving these problems I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks a lot,

Internet/CSnet  kjb@cs.brown.edu     U.S. MAIL  Ken Basye
UUCP            uunet!brunix!kjb                Box 1910
                                                Dept. of Computer Science
                                                Brown University
                                                Providence, RI  02912

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Tad Cook) (08/28/90)

In article <11086@accuvax.nwu.edu>, kjb@cs.brown.edu (Ken Basye)
writes:

> I'm looking for this information because I find myself frequently
> trying to get directory information about some company in some town
> whose area code I can only guess at using the map in the book.

> Incidently, while the placement of the state borders in the map is
> pretty accurate, have a look at a real map and compare the location of
> some of the cities on the area code map sometime when you need a
> laugh.  Trying to locate the right area code by triangulation is
> clearly out.

For figuring out area codes from addresses, I use "The Zip/Area Code
Directory" by Ruth Marks, $4.95 from Pilot Books, 103 Cooper St,
Babylon, NY 11702.

This was suggested by someone else on TELECOM Digest.  It works,
although I did find a few errors.  I understand they will be corrected
in the next edition.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544      Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP