[comp.dcom.telecom] What Hath God Wrought?

das@cs.ucla.edu (David Smallberg) (08/28/90)

In article <11313@accuvax.nwu.edu> hpubvwa!ssc!tad@beaver.cs.
washington.edu (Tad Cook) writes:

>S.F.B. Morse sent "What hath God Wrought?" when he demonstrated the
>telegraph before members of Congress, when he was seeking backing for
>his invention from the U.S. government.

I wonder how the demo went.  How did the observers verify that the
message sent was the one received, and that no secret pre-demo
arrangement had been made?  I mean, they couldn't just phone Baltimore
and ask! :-) Did they wait around for the train from Baltimore to
arrive with a Congressman saying "We just got the message 'What hath
God wrought?'.  Is that what was sent?"

David Smallberg, das@cs.ucla.edu, ...!{uunet,ucbvax,rutgers}!cs.ucla.edu!das

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (08/29/90)

Some recent items have had it that Morse invented telegraphy.  Isaac
Asimov says otherwise.  From "Asimov's New Guide to Science":

#  For the work that led to the early application of electricity
#  to technology, the lion's share of the credit must fall to
#  Joseph Henry.  Henry's first application of electricity was the
#  invention of telegraphy.  He devised a system ... [where] the dying
#  signal [would] activate a small electromagnet that operated a switch
#  that turned on a boost in power from stations placed at appropriate
#  intervals.  Thus a message consisting of coded pulses of electricity
#  could be sent for a considerable distance.  Henry actually built a
#  telegraph that worked.

#  Because he was an unworldly man, who believed that knowledge should
#  be shared with the world and therefore did not patent his discoveries,
#  Henry got no credit for this invention.  The credit fell to ... Morse.
#  With Henry's help, freely given (but later only grudgingly acknowledged),
#  Morse built the first practical telegraph in 1844.  Morse's main original
#  contribution to telegraphy was the system of dots and dashes known as
#  the Morse Code.

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com