[comp.dcom.telecom] Building a 1A2 Key Service Unit

larry@uunet.uu.net> (08/24/90)

In article <11088@accuvax.nwu.edu> atn@cory.berkeley.edu (Alan
Nishioka) writes:

> I am trying to build a box for my five line key system phone.  I want
> it to flash the lights and do automatic hold.

> The system I was going to time has been dismantled and replaced with
> Panasonic phones with LEDs so you can't tell which line is ringing...

	I would suggest that you look around for a used key service
unit (KSU) with 400-type line cards, which will perform all of the
functions you desire.  With the extensive proliferation of electronic
key telephone systems and "mini" PABX's, such used KSU's often sell
for very little money - especially at say, an amateur radio flea
market.

	Design of a 1A2 key system to work with your telephones is not
a trivial effort.  It's not that difficult, either, but you will spend
some time doing it.  If you are determined to build it from scratch, I
would suggest a "non-traditional" approach.  Use a microprocessor with
I/O expander for all logic and timing functions.  Detect ringing and
loop current using optoisolators.  Drive the lamps with ten volts DC
switched by suitable current drivers.  Sense the A-lead ground
closures preferably with optoisolators.  Use a reed relay to place a
300 ohm hold resistor across the telephone line.  In summary, your
microprocessor would have five ringing detector inputs, five loop
current detector inputs, five A-lead inputs, five lamp outputs, five
hold relay outputs, and one common audible relay signal output.
Everything else is software. :-) The lamp signals and interrupted
common audible signal sequence would be generated under software
control.

	Yet another alternative would be to obtain just the 400-type
line cards, make your own card cage, and build a power supply and
interrupter circuit yourself.  All you need is -24 volts DC for the
400-type line card control power and ten volts AC for lamps (do not
substitute DC for AC on the ten volt lamp circuit with newer 400-type
line cards since they use triacs or SCR's for lamp control instead of
relay contacts).  The standard KSU interrupter operates from the ten
volt AC supply.  You will also need 18 volts AC or 20/30 Hz ringing
for common audible signals, depending upon whether you use buzzers or
ringers.

> Does anyone have the light flashing cadences?  (frequency and duty
> cycle).

	Lamp flash for incoming calls is interrupted at 60 IPM with a
50% on-duty cycle (i.e., 500 ms on, 500 ms off).  Lamp wink for hold
is 120 IPM with an 80% on-duty cycle (i.e., 400 ms on, 100 ms off).

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
     {boulder||decvax||rutgers||watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
VOICE: 716/688-1231 || FAX: 716/741-9635  {utzoo||uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.fidonet.org (William Degnan) (08/25/90)

Nishioka) writes:

> I am trying to build a box for my five line key system phone.
> I want it to flash the lights and do automatic hold.
> The system I was going to time has been dismantled and replaced
> with Panasonic phones with LEDs so you can't tell which line is
> ringing...

I picked up a 1A2 with four line cards for five bucks. A few other
folks _gave_ me some key telephone sets. There is little commercial
value.  You probably would use more than $5 worth of gas picking up
the parts.  Why not see what you can find gathering dust someplace?

Regards,

Disclaimer: Contents do not constitute "advice" unless we are on the clock.
William Degnan                   | wdegnan@mcimail.com
Communications Network Solutions | !wdegnan@at&tmail.com
 -Independent Consultants        | William.Degnan@telemail.com
   in Telecommunications         | UUCP: ...!natinst!tqc!39!William.Degnan
P.O. Drawer 9530                 | ARPA: William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.FidoNet.Org
Austin, TX 78766-9530            | Voice +1 512 323 9383

Beach@cup.portal.com (08/25/90)

On the subject of actually BUILDING a 1a2 ANYTHING --

After talking recently to a few phone system people in the SF BAY
area, I would just go out any BUY 1A2 stuff if I needed it as these
guys will sell it for practcally nothing.

Examples $10 for five line phone ... Maybe $2 for a 400 line card.

$50 would probably get you a complete system with phones if you call
the right place.  Since not many businesses WANT 1A2 stuff, and it
gets traded in all the time, the trade in stuff is cheap and easy to
come by.

Do some calling in your area.  In this case I think it is cheaper
to buy it than build it.

Steve Warner
fremont, CA, USA, etc

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (08/28/90)

Beach@cup.portal.com writes:

> $50 would probably get you a complete system with phones if you call
> the right place.  Since not many businesses WANT 1A2 stuff, and it
> gets traded in all the time, the trade in stuff is cheap and easy to
> come by.

Jeez, anyone who shows up at my doorstep can have, absolutely free,
any and all 1A2 stuff they can find in my garage. There is at least
one KSU with an assortment of standard and specialized line cards, at
least five telephones in pretty good shape, and an assortment of other
1A2-style garbage.

> Do some calling in your area.  In this case I think it is cheaper
> to buy it than build it.

With the advent of cheap electronic key equipment (that doesn't
require the bulky 25 pair cable), someone's elevator would have to
stop short of the top floor to want to mess around with 1A2 anymore.
My business associate, the most die-hard of 1A2 enthusiasts, has
finally given up the cause.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

johnb@jbx.com (John Boudreaux) (08/29/90)

I've been blessed(cursed) with hooking up some 1A2 stuff. Anyone know
where I can get the wiring layout etc for it? I thought I had it all
but ...  It works, but no lights and no interupter and hold hangs up
the line?

John Boudreaux             INTERNET: johnb@jbx.com
JBX                        UUCP: ...!uunet!jbx!johnb
*Disclaimer* - I Don't Care What Anyone Thinks of My Views