[comp.dcom.telecom] Help Needed Building Home Intercom

Martin Grossman <grossman@bbn.com> (08/16/90)

I would like to setup a mini phone service at my home connecting just
two  or three phones.  What do I need to buy (Radio Shack) to do this?

            --------                        --------
            |phone |------------------------|phone |
            |      |------------------------|      |
            --------                        --------
            |ringer|                        |ringer|
            --------                        --------

MISC INFO:

  1) There will be no connections to any regular telco phone lines.
  2) The little box's above marked ringer should be small and right next
     to the phone(s).  They should just have 1 button each and ring the
     other phone(s) when depressed.
  3) The box's marked phone should be any phone that can be hooked upto
     the standard (US) phone system.
  4) I understand just a little about how phones work...
     a) I think its 50-60VAC at 20-30HZ to ring a phone
     b) phone looks like inf resistance/reactance when on hook
     c) phone looks like approx 680 ohms when off hook
     d) there's a small DC voltage when off hook

  5) The dial (or push buttons) won't be used (ie just the ringer box)
  6) This will be used instead of multiple walky-talkies.

USE:

  1) One phone will be in the basment and the other 1 or two will be
     upstairs.  I want to be able to signal (via the ringer) and talk
     without running upstairs or shouting. Besides...its a great project.

QUESTIONS:

  1) how do I connect tip and ring from each phone
  2) what do I need between the phones to act as the phone co.
  3) what do I use for the ringer box
  4) what do I need to add if I want to hookup a third phone or fourth.
     PS in no way am I trying to compete against MA-BELL.

Please send answers via email to: grossman@bbn.com

tim@ncoast.org (Tim Stradtman) (08/21/90)

In article <10989@accuvax.nwu.edu> Martin Grossman <grossman@bbn.com>
writes:

>I would like to setup a mini phone service at my home connecting just
>two  or three phones.  What do I need to buy (Radio Shack) to do this?

I would also like to know this information, but for a differant reason
 - we need to test various used modems for compatibility and operation.
Sending someone home with one so that we have a phone line between
them can be a real pain.

Thanks,

tim@ncoast.org      or     ak215@cleveland.freenet.edu

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Tad Cook) (08/28/90)

In article <11116@accuvax.nwu.edu>, tim@ncoast.org (Tim Stradtman)
writes:

> I would also like to know this information, but for a differant reason
>  - we need to test various used modems for compatibility and operation.
> Sending someone home with one so that we have a phone line between
> them can be a real pain.

For just doing functional testing of modems, you could use a line
simulator, like the Proctor 49200 Telephone Demonstrator.  It has four
lines, with real sounding dialtone, ringback, busy, etc.

You can reach Proctor at 206-881-7000.

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544   Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or,  tad@ssc.UUCP

friedl@mtndew.tustin.ca.us (Steve Friedl) (08/29/90)

Tim Stradtman is looking for a test set that will let him test modems
for compatibility without going through real phone lines.

Tad Cook (who works for Proctor) responds:
> For just doing functional testing of modems, you could use a line
> simulator, like the Proctor 49200 Telephone Demonstrator.  It has four
> lines, with real sounding dialtone, ringback, busy, etc.
> You can reach Proctor at 206-881-7000.

These units are GREAT!  I have one on my desk for testing our fax
modem software, and it is absolutely indispensible.  Proctor is
reportedly coming out with a two-line unit this fall, and I will be
getting one of those too for road demos.

     Steve (who is just a happy customer)

Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / I speak for me only / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Steve's bright idea #43: put TV Guide on CD-ROM for quick access