[comp.dcom.telecom] Automated Salesmen

Steve Cirian <cirian@einstein.eds.com> (08/22/90)

Last night, I had a call from a computer at Kodak, trying to sell me
something.  After listening for a few moments, I lost interest, and
hung up.  I tried to call a friend a minute or two later.  To my
surprise, the recording was still going, and there was nothing I could
do to break the connection.  A thought occurred to me: what if I had
an emergency, needed to call 911, and couldn't because Kodak had tied
my phone up (for at least 5 minutes)?  Is this legal?  Shouldn't
companies that use this sales strategy be required to have a system
that would recognize a hangup, and break the connection?

(I appologize if this subject has already been covered in detail, I am
new to this newsgroup :-))

Steve Cirian  750 Tower Drive, Troy, MI 48007 (313) 265-5738

Chris Petrilli <petrilli@walt.cc.utexas.edu> (08/23/90)

In article <11213@accuvax.nwu.edu> cirian@einstein.eds.com (Steve
Cirian) writes:

>Last night, I had a call from a computer at Kodak, trying to sell me
>something.  After listening for a few moments, I lost interest, and
>hung up.  I tried to call a friend a minute or two later.  To my
>surprise, the recording was still going, and there was nothing I could
>do to break the connection.  A thought occurred to me: what if I had
>an emergency, needed to call 911, and couldn't because Kodak had tied
>my phone up (for at least 5 minutes)?  Is this legal?  Shouldn't
>companies that use this sales strategy be required to have a system
>that would recognize a hangup, and break the connection?

I also had one of these "calls" about one week ago, which after
fifteen MINUTES! was still on the line.  It also kept calling back
until I listened to it (it tried five times).

To say the least I was annoyed (a little stronger word here), and I
immediately called the Texas Attorney General the next day. According
to the lady I talked to there, they are already investigating it, and
looking at filing charges against them.  When I phoned SWBT, they were
unable to tell me who it was, but they had also had complaints, so
they probably knew who it was, and they said that they had given the
company one week to stop, or they would disconnect service, and look
into legal action.

Sounds like a major problem to me.

Chris Petrilli                                    "Opinons represented here
University of Texas at Austin                      do not necessarily
INTERNET: petrilli@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu              represent those of a sane
SNAILMAIL: 429 Brady Lane, Austin, Texas, 78746    person.  Take them as
PHONE:     +1 512 327 0986                         simply that."

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (08/24/90)

Steve Cirian <cirian@einstein.eds.com> writes:

> Last night, I had a call from a computer at Kodak, trying to sell me
> something.  After listening for a few moments, I lost interest, and
> hung up.  I tried to call a friend a minute or two later.  To my
> surprise, the recording was still going, and there was nothing I could
> do to break the connection.

If you have three-way calling, you can always flash the switchhook and
make a call in that manner. My favorite method of handling these
people provides double satisfaction.

Although you theoretically cannot transfer a call outside of a
Commstar group, there is a way to "trick" the switch into allowing a
call to be transferred to another telephone within the control group
(switch). In preparation for the hapless junk computer call, I prepare
a list of slimy businesses that have telephone service served by
applicable prefixes. This being a bedroom CO, there aren't many, but I
managed to scrape up two or three.

When the XYZ Portrait Offer calls, I simply transfer the call to Big
Al's Used Cars or some such. It is no longer tying up my line and it
gives Big Al something to do!

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (08/24/90)

Cirian) writes:

> Last night, I had a call from a computer at Kodak, trying to sell me
> something.

Are you sure it was from Kodak and not just from some house that was
possibly selling you Kodak products?  I certainly don't rule out that
it was Kodak, but that just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that
Kodak does.

(warning:  written by ex-Kodak employee)

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw

v116kznd@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (David M Archer) (08/26/90)

In article <11301@accuvax.nwu.edu>, CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins)
writes...

>> Last night, I had a call from a computer at Kodak, trying to sell me
>> something.

>Are you sure it was from Kodak and not just from some house that was
>possibly selling you Kodak products?  I certainly don't rule out that
>it was Kodak, but that just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that
>Kodak does.

I recall getting the same call, and thinking the same thing, "Kodak
has taken to computerized telemarketing?  Odd.".  So I listened a bit
longer and it ended up being an independant company, most likely one
of those companys that wants you to mail your film to them.  I guess
it was just another one of those cases where they are trying to
mislead you, in this case, making the answerer think that the
promotion/whatever is sponsored/whatever by a large company, Kodak.

Another call which I seem to get every couple months, is one of those
deals here they say to call within five minutes to claim a prize or
something like that.  With this one, the guy musically repeats the
number to call over and over again ... to claim your prize, call
540-xxxx, 540-xxxx, the number to call is 540-xxxx, call 540-xxxx in
five minutes to claim your prize, call 540-xxxx.  And then the seedy
part is where they are obligated to say how much the call costs, the
guy musically mumbles, call costs $5.40.  It's a fairly obvious
attempt to make the listener not hear the cost of the call, while they
are still legally stating the cost of the call.  One might say someone
would have to be pretty stupid to fall for that, but since you can't
ask a recording a question, someone with bad hearing might not hear it
quite right and not know it costs something.

I guess that's progress.  Nobody's walked up to me on the street and
tried to sell me a Rolex lately, I guess they must have all moved to
telemarketing.

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Tad Cook) (08/29/90)

Cirian) writes:

> After listening for a few moments, I lost interest, and
> hung up.  I tried to call a friend a minute or two later.  To my
> surprise, the recording was still going, and there was nothing I could
> do to break the connection.  A thought occurred to me: what if I had
> an emergency, needed to call 911, and couldn't because Kodak had tied
> my phone up (for at least 5 minutes)?  Is this legal?  Shouldn't
> companies that use this sales strategy be required to have a system
> that would recognize a hangup, and break the connection?

I had the same problem one time.  I called US West, my local phone
company, and they said that their switches were programmed to drop an
incoming call no later than 22 seconds after the called party hangs
up, assuming that the calling party stays off hook.

The problem for the telemarketers is that there is no way to detect
hookswitch status from the far end ... this is the same problem that
private payphones have.

But maybe they could listen for dialtone?

The problem for emergency callers is that I am unlikely to wait for 22
seconds when I hang up and attempt to call 9-1-1 again.  If I keep
coming off hook every 10 seconds, which is an agonizing amount of time
in an emergency, I will never lose the obnoxious sales call.

Tad Cook    Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544    Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP