[comp.dcom.telecom] 900 Supervision and Other Rumors

bill@toto.info.com (Bill Cerny) (08/30/90)

>john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>> IPs are admonished to
>> provide a "chicken exit" on their recorded intros so that inadvertant
>> callers can bail.

Southern California IP's call this the "kill message."

>My roommate found out, the hard way, that this supervision delay isn't
>universally implemented.

I was surprised by John's article that stated Telesphere has a 30
second grace period before billing for a 900 call.  But my experience
with Telesphere tells me this isn't a "consumer protection" thing, but
probly a fluke of their billing system.

I have a fairly accurate table of 900 NXX codes, identifying the IXC
(it's actually Scott's old list, updated with the Sprint prefixes).
Readers might get a copy before they post their next 900 horror story.

>[Moderator's Note: Here is an example of a 900 number which is routed
>to a POTS:

Aagghh!  900 numbers don't route to POTS translations!  As John posted
earlier, the average 900 IP connects to the IXC network via T-span,
either at a service bureau (e.g., Lo-Ad Communications) or in their
office/home (don't laugh, it's true!).  AT&T will provide their 900
Multiquest service over individual dedicated access lines, if you're
silly.  There are no switched termination arrangements presently
available from any of the Big Four 900 IXC's.

If you see a POTS number in conjuction with a 900 number, then it is a
_separate_ facility that terminates on the same equipment running the
900 program.  In the case of the Naval Observatory time, the IP has a
dedicated channel from his premises to the Naval Observatory offices
(where the 202 POTS number terminates).  If the IP has a switch, then
he can send a 900 call back into the public switched network if
necessary.  He could even use the switch to mix 900 circuits and POTS
lines to create the illusion that his 900 program has a POTS
translation. ;-)

Bill Cerny
bill@toto.info.com   |   attmail: !denwa!bill