[comp.dcom.telecom] Telephone Cable Color Code

"Donald E. Kimberlin" <0004133373@mcimail.com> (08/30/90)

In article (Digest v10, iss 588), AJ writes:

>Anyone know where to get a book of standards (e.g. USOC - Universal
>Service Order Code) for things like the order of colors to punch
>down on '50 blocks from 50 pair, 100 pair, 200 pair, etc cables?

The fabled "Blue-Orange-Green-Brown-Slate" of North American telephone
cables is a real "fun" standard, AJ.  Most people think it was set up
by Bell, of course, and it might indeed well have been. I have some
(rather spiffy circular slide-rule/chart) documents from Western Union
citing "Western Electric" as the source.  However, these are recent
enough (1950's) that WECo had certainly been manufacturing to them for
several decades.  It turns out that the"Blue-Orange-Green-Brown-Slate"
IS the "standard" of an organized group you might have fun tracking
down.  The standard number (S-83, as I recall), is from the Insulated
Cable Engineers Association, listed in the "Encyclopedia of
Associations" as resident at a phone in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
That reference says the ICEA has been around since 1927.  My gut
feeling makes that a vintage year for the color code to have been
"standardized" by somebody.

I ran across the reference in standards work on wiring in buildings
per EIA TR 41.8.  However, that path ran dry when I found the ICEA
phone number really was a point in the North American network you
couldn't get to from here.  All sorts of peculiar recordings and no
assistance operator that could or would help.  It all led me to wonder
if, in fact, the ICEA was resident in telephone Oz.  If you REALLY
want the document, I suggest you start back with the Encyclopedia of
Associations listing at the library to validate the number and such.

(In fact, tracking that number and its routing problem sounds like the
sort of dialing adventure some of our more intrepid Digest readers
take on as their challenges of choice.)  As to the USOC book, its
purpose is not to list the color code, and I wouldn't expect you'll
find any indications there.  Universal Service Order Codes have become
one of the true "phone business" oxymoronic contradictions in terms.
Once a stellar monopoly-era Bell System attempt to automate and
standardize ordering and billing codes for service orders, that system
never did get very well standardized as the Bell people kept finding
and attempting to rationalize all the variations the local operating
company people had.

And, the local people of different companies invented different USOCs
for the same thing, sometimes even division by division of the same
company.  Today, there are as many "USOC books" as there are Telcos
 ... all of them "Universal." If you don't believe me, ask them!
Whatever one they have, it's LAW. If you don't believe me, ask them
again!  If you really WAMT a "USOC book," prepare yourself for another
adventure in "Telephony by Oz."  You will be constantly assured that
you have the right to have one, because it's public information.

However, you'll also be told that the "nasty lawyers" of the Telco
always have the "nice guy" employee you get on the phone stonewalled,
and there's just no one for you to talk to about it.  (Oh, there are
USOC books in circulation, always in the hands of someone who has a
"friend on the inside."  These are usually recent 20-30 year retirees
who know where to call for a 'sub rosa' copy.)  But, you'll still find
no color code in the USOC book.  Even the various Plant Practices
(BSP, GSP, CSP, you-name-it SP) practices hardly ever mention the
color code, because it's something everybody "just knows," or it
_might_ be on the drawing for a particular assembly ... but in the
USOC book?

Uh-uh.  I'd be interested to hear what adventures AJ and others have
tracking along this route, either to USOC books or the color code
"standard."  (Those who want the color code recited from memory can
get any of a number of us old crustaceans to recite it for an hourly
fee, I'm sure. Rates similar to those of Bhuddist monks and Tibetan
prayer-wheel makers.)