[comp.dcom.telecom] How Should Telephone Numbers be Listed?

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (08/24/90)

I have traditionally listed my telephone number as "(314) 362-3635".
My previous work number was accessible via an internal 5-digit suffix,
so I listed it as "(314) 36-23635".  Someone complained that that was
improper, and could cause problems for certain exchanges.  Yet another
sources suggested "+1 314 362 3635", under the vague impression that
this was an international standard encoding.

My question is: What is the most portable encoding of a USA telephone
number?  Is there a standards document that addresses this issue?

Note that the number used in the example is no longer valid for me.

david@wubios.wustl.edu              David J. Camp
 ...!uunet!wuarchive!wubios!david   +1 314 382 0584

[Moderator's Note: You really should not use () around the area code.
The area code part of the number, there is nothing parenthetical about
it. In other words, 123-456-7890 is the preferred way to write it.
(123) 456-7890 is not preferred.   PAT]

JMS@mis.Arizona.EDU (Programmin' up a storm.) (08/26/90)

I'm at home, so I don't have my Blue Books huddled around me, but
there IS a CCITT standard for "how to write your telephone number,"
and it goes roughly like this:

	+1 602 795 3955

Because of the magic wonderfulness of the US country code being "1"
and the number we all use to access long distance being "1," this is
incredibly cosmic and confuses neither NA nor European subscribers.

There is specific advice NOT to put parentheses around the area code,
and there is discussion about writing it two ways: once for "national"
callers and once for "international" callers, with the national being
on the top, and the international on the bottom.

There is also a specific symbol (which looks kind of like a Q) that
you are supposed to put on the side of your number if you have an
answering machine (actually, a "device substituting for a subscriber
in his absence").  In fact, E.117 is the standard for what your
answering machine message should be.  Again, I forget the details.

On a similar vein: there was a discussion several years ago about the
# sign.  While this may be called "octothorpe" in Bell parlance, it is
not in CCITT parlance.  There is, however, a specific format for
displaying the sign, depending on whether you're in North America (in
which case it's slanted, look on your phone if you don't remember,
with a specific angle to the slant) or elsewhere, in which case it's
straight up-and-down (as my terminal is displaying it now; your
mileage may vary).  There are specific rules about the ratio of the
short pieces to the long pieces, as well.

In general, I think that a large percentage of the questions of this
nature in this newsfroup have good answers in the E-series
recommendations: the touch tones, why the tri-tone is SO DAMN LOUD,
etc.  If the Moderator agrees, I'd be willing to type in some of the
"official CCITT" answers to some of the more commonly and hotly
debated questions here. Note, of course, that the CCITT is the CCITT
and Bell is/was Bell, so no answer is authoritative -- and the history
is often more interesting than the answer.

Joel Snyder
Member US Delegation to CCITT SG VII)

[Moderator's Note: Yes, please send along some CCITT 'questions and
answers' for the Digest.  PAT]

tnixon@uunet.uu.net (Toby Nixon) (08/27/90)

In article <11320@accuvax.nwu.edu>, david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J.
Camp) writes:

> My question is: What is the most portable encoding of a USA telephone
> number?  Is there a standards document that addresses this issue?

CCITT Recommendation E.123 standardizes the notation for telephone
numbers both within countries and internationally.  It specifies that
your "national" telephone number be written with the "city code" (area
code) in parenthesis, with the number following with spaces between
segments as appropriate.  For example, my phone number would be
written as "(404) 449 8791".  Parenthesis, according to paragraph 4.2
of E.123, indicate that the enclosed portion of the number is not
always dialed (e.g., if you're within the same city/area code).
Parenthesis should not be used in an international number, since the
entire number must be dialed.

E.123 specifies that international phone numbers be written with a
plus sign and the country code, followed by the city code and local
number; by number would be written as "+1 404 449 8791".  The "+"
means that the international prefix ("011" in the USA) should be
dialed before the number; the country code always immediately follows
the "+".

Paragraph 6.1 of E.123 says that spaces should be used instead of
hyphens to separate portions of a phone number.  Countries may
authorize other notations, such as use of a hyphen, but hyphens are
never to be used when specifying an international number.
Nevertheless, I put the hyphens in my signature (below) because most
of the people I send messages to are used to seeing it and because it
"keeps it together" so its less confusing.

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer     Fax:    +1-404-441-1213  Telex: 6502670805
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.  Voice:  +1-404-449-8791  CIS:    70271,404
Norcross, Georgia, USA             BBS:    +1-404-446-6336  MCI:       TNIXON
                                   Telemail: T.NIXON/HAYES  AT&T:     !tnixon
UUCP:   ...!uunet!hayes!tnixon     Internet:        hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net
MHS:    C=US / AD=ATTMAIL / PN=TOBY_L_NIXON / DD=TNIXON

"Donald E. Kimberlin" <0004133373@mcimail.com> (08/30/90)

In article (Digest V10, iss594), Joel writes:

>In general, I think that a large percentage of the questions of this
>nature in this newsgroup have good answers in the E-series
>recommendations: the touch tones, why the tri-tone is SO DAMN LOUD,
>etc.  If the Moderator agrees, I'd be willing to type in some of the
>"official CCITT" answers to some of the more commonly and hotly
>debated questions here.  Note, of course, that the CCITT is the CCITT
>and Bell is/was Bell, so no answer is authoritative -- and the
history >is often more interesting than the answer.

To which I must say, "Amen, Brother Snyder."  I hope you will become
the resident reference authority, and to give the readers some sense
of antiquity to their many discoveries, quote some of the heading
material in the Recommendations that shows a lot of these "standards"
have been in the CCITT books since it was called the CCIF and the
CCIT. And, don't make it just the "E" series, but show them the "F"
series on registered cable addresses and such, the "G" series about
analog and digital transmission, and dig out others as they come up.
It seems to me the Digest goes around in loops about certain topics as
new readers come on board and recite the latest misleading tripe they
got from their local telco about "standards."  Whose "standards,"
indeed?