[comp.dcom.telecom] Help a Model 500 Ring

jcox@x102a.harris-atd.com (Jamie Cox) (08/26/90)

This seems like an easy question for comp.dcom.telecom:

I have an old desk top dial phone which works but does not ring.  I
would like it to ring.  It is a model 500.  The wires from the ringer
solenoid have been disconnected.  Where should they go?  I have the
original connections written down and tried that, but it still didn't
ring.

The ringer solenoid has four wires, red, white, red/white and black
(or maybe it used to be green, it's hard to tell:-)).  I have measured
the resistance among these and its like this:

           Red        R/W     Blk        White
            |          |       |          |
            \/\/\/\/\/\/       \/\/\/\/\/\/
             ~ 3k ohms          ~ 1k ohms

There was no connection between the two sides of the above diagram.
Question number 1: Is the ringer solenoid broken?

Question number 2: Please post or email information about likely
wiring diagrams.  The network is labeled with letters: GN, B, R, RR,
F, K, G, L1, L2, A.  Apparently some phones use numbers instead, and I
already have a diagram for such a phone which doesn't help much.

I have seen several different connection patterns in similar phones
and have tried them on this phone, but still no ring.  Wow, there are
a lot of (apparently valid) ways to hook up a ringer. The phone in
question is known to have rung when in service about seven years ago.
It was on a different exchange, and I remember it had a distinctive
ring back when called, and perhaps an unusual audible ring from the
instrument.  It may have been on a party line at one time.

Thank you.

Jamie Cox  jcox@mlb.ess.harris.com  | Phone:    (407)-727-6397 (work)
Harris Government Aerospace Systems,|           (407)-723-7935 (home)
MS 19/4827, P.O. Box 94000,         |
Melbourne, Florida  USA             |

"Barton F. Bruce" <BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com> (08/31/90)

In article <11346@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jcox@x102a.harris-atd.com (Jamie
Cox) writes:

> I have an old desk top dial phone which works but does not ring.  I

> The ringer solenoid has four wires, red, white, red/white and black
>
>            Red        R/W     Blk        White
>             |          |       |          |
>             \/\/\/\/\/\/       \/\/\/\/\/\/
>              ~ 3k ohms          ~ 1k ohms

The BLACK and RED go to tip and ring (the green + red line cord wires)
probably on (L2) and (L1). Polarity only matters if you get
tappity-tapping from an extension rotary dialing or going on/off hook.
There are also mechanical adjustments to eliminate tapping. The SLATE
(white) and RED/SLATE go to (A) and (K) that are the 2 ends of a 1/2
mfd cap to block talk battery from the ringer coils.

There is a lot of history behind those two different size windings,
but the simple description is that they provided a second party id by
connecting one of them between ground and the electrical midpoint of
the transmission network (B) when a second party phone went off hook.
The CO could determine which subscriber went off hook - the one with
or the one without the connection to ground.