[comp.dcom.telecom] Color Codes

denbeste@andy.bgsu.edu (William C. DenBesten) (07/31/89)

> [Moderator's Note: Green and red/yellow and black/blue and white... who
> can go further? Once I heard a phone man name all twenty five pairs in
> a cable and their associated partner.....purple and gray/??? and ???.....
> then we get into the slates (stripes)...

I thought that the order was:
	Pair  Tip  Ring
	  1   RED   GRN
	  2   YEL   BLK
	  3   BLU   WHT,
and that the 1st pair was backwards in a modular connector compared to the
rest.

> can anyone reading this name all
> twenty five pairs (fifty wires) and the 'proper' color combinations?  PT]

*** Schedule 0 ***

     ------ T I P ------
|    BLU ORG GRN BRN SLT
R WHT  1   2   3   4   5
I RED  6   7   8   9  10
N BLK 11  12  13  14  15
G YEL 16  17  18  19  20
| VLT 21  22  23  24  25

The ring wire in each pair is has a wide band that is the ring color
and a thin stripe that is the tip color.  The tip wire has a wide band
that is the tip color and a narrow stripe that is the ring color.

Is this what you were looking for?  I culled this from staring at
telephone wiring and looking at advertisements for mod-tap connectors,
so I may be all hosed.

--
William C. DenBesten   is   denbeste@bgsu.edu  or   denbesten@bgsuopie.bitnet

William Degnan <William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.fidonet.org> (09/02/90)

In a message of <Aug 23 07:52> annala%neuro.usc.edu@usc.edu writes:

>Anyone know where to get a book of standards (e.g. USOC - Universal
>Service Order Code) for things like the order of colors to punch down
>on '50 blocks from 50 pair, 100 pair, 200 pair, etc cables?

Sure. I've got a half a dozen USOC books on the shelf, but what you
_say_ you want won't be in them.

Here is a diagram of a typical block. An article I saw in one of the
trade magazines recently actually called one of the colors "grey".
Folks who don't know that much, shouldn't own a punch-down tool. The
color is "slate".

Promise me that if you need help, you'll call a professional. Don't
mess with anything you can't afford to replace.

[Our moderator asked me to reformat this chart prior to publication.
Normally, you would expect to see this information in a single
column. -- wd]

    COLOR           COLOR       COLOR

 26 W-BL         36 BK-BL       46 V-BL
  1 BL-W         11 BL-BL       21 BL-V
 27 W-O          37 BK-O        47 V-O
  2 O-W          12 O-BK        22 O-V
 28 W-G          38 BK-G        48 V-G
  3 G-W          13 G-BK        23 G-V
 29 W-BR         39 BK-BR       49 V-BR
  4 BR-W         14 BR-BK       24 BR-V
 30 W-S          40 BK-S        50 V-S
  5 S-W          15 S-BK        25 S-V
>               >
 31 R-BL         41 Y-BL
  6 BL-R         16 BK-Y
 32 R-O          42 Y-O
  7 O-R          17 O-Y
 33 R-G          43 Y-G
  8 G-R          18 G-Y
 34 R-BR         44 Y-BR
  9 BR-R         19 BR-Y
 35 R-S          45 Y-SL
 10 S-R          20 SL-Y
>               >
 36 BK-BL
 11 BL-BL
 37 BK-O
 12 O-BK
 38 BK-G
 13 G-BK
 39 BK-BR
 14 BR-BK
 40 BK-S
 15 S-BK

Regards,

Disclaimer: Contents do not constitute "advice" unless we are on the clock.
William Degnan                   | wdegnan@mcimail.com
Communications Network Solutions | !wdegnan@at&tmail.com
 -Independent Consultants        | William.Degnan@telemail.com
   in Telecommunications         | UUCP: ...!natinst!tqc!39!William.Degnan
P.O. Drawer 9530                 | ARPA: William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.FidoNet.Org
Austin, TX 78766-9530            | Voice +1 512 323 9383