[comp.dcom.telecom] Labor Day, 1990

TELECOM Moderator <telecom@eecs.nwu.edu> (09/03/90)

Labor Day is a good time to stop and reflect on the years of labor by
the men and women in the telephone industry in America who have made
the network what it is today.

Despite the several problems that have arisen since divestiture was
deemed to be what was good for the American public, the United States
still has the finest, and most technically complex phone system in the
world. For that, we can thank the telephone workers, and we should pay
tribute to them today, along with all workers, for their contributions
to our nation.

Patrick Townson

Jim Breen <jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> (09/04/90)

In article <11635@accuvax.nwu.edu>, telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM
Moderator) writes:

> Despite the several problems that have arisen since divestiture was
> deemed to be what was good for the American public, the United States
> still has the finest, and most technically complex phone system in the
                 [1]                       [2]
> world. For that, we can thank the telephone workers, and we should pay
> tribute to them today, along with all workers, for their contributions
> to our nation.

[1] Come, Patrick. What is your evidence for this assertion?  While
not singing praises for my own country's network, I must say that my
observations of the US network compared with others in the world lead
me towards other less complimentary adjectives.  It is a common
observation that Americans always seem to shout on the telephone. The
reason?

[2] if you mean most technically advanced, I must ask again for the
evidence. If you mean the most complicated mish-mash of vendors,
companies, and switches, not to mention prices and operating
standards, I must agree. Do you really want to pay tribute for this?

Jim Breen (jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au)
Dept of Robotics & Digital Technology, Monash University
PO Box 197 Caulfield East VIC 3145 Australia
(ph) +61 3 573 2552 (fax) +61 3 573 2745

[Moderator's Note: I think many Americans shout on the telephone not
from any failure of the telephone to convey their voice properly, but
from some other cultural thing. I've experienced what you say, and I
cannot explain it, but it has nothing to do with the clarity of the
connection in most cases.  Regards the technical mish-mash prevelant
here, please note my message said *despite* divestiture -- not because
of it -- we have an excellent system. And I for one *will* sing
praises for your telephone system there. I spend about $1000 per month
on international calling. I call about a dozen countries routinely, on
both sides of the world. Most of my calls to Australia and New Zealand
connect within seconds and sound like they were in the same phone
exchange as myself. I still think the USA's network is best; but
surely yours is in second or third place, along with New Zealand, the
UK, and Hong Kong (loud and clear!). Most South American telephone
systems are bad news, as is a lot of the middle east.   PAT]

ashbya@uunet.uu.net (Adam J. Ashby) (09/04/90)

In comp.dcom.telecom, TELECOM Moderator writes:

>Despite the several problems that have arisen since divestiture was
>deemed to be what was good for the American public, the United States
>still has the finest, and most technically complex phone system in the

 From what I read daily in comp.dcom.telecom, the US definitely does
not have the finest or the most technically complex phone system in
the world.  What have you based this sweeping statement on??  Surely
not the all important 'User Satisfaction'?

Adam Ashby  (+1)(708) 632 3876 - work time
(+1)(708) 934 1431 - play time	  ...!uunet!motcid!ashbya

[Moderator's Note: Alright, fine. If the USA does *not* have what I
described, then what country *does* have it? If TELECOM Digest was
published in East Germany, Poland, Brazil or Haiti, what type of
messages would you see here from day to day? Admittedly, user
satisfaction has gone down since divestiture, and we have lost some of
the margin we maintained for decades, but we are still far in front,
which is more a testament to the old Bell System than it is to the
federal judge :{ who made it all possible. Readers, suppose you tell
me: (You generally have no reluctance to do so!) -- Whose is best?
Whose is worst? Why? And if you say the USA, was it because of the
judge, or despite him?  Title your replies, Re: The Best and Worst.  PAT]