[comp.dcom.telecom] Phone Calls to Kuwait

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (08/23/90)

In an issue of TELECOM Digest dated June 20, a writer said that
Kuwait, before international DDD, had a U.S. area code. As you know,
Kuwait has been invaded since then.

I found that calls to Kuwait (country code 965) are being intercepted
with message "914-1T": "Due to an emergency situation in the country
you are calling, your call cannot be completed at this time.  Please
try your call again later."

bryanr@ihlpy.att.com (Bryan M Richardson) (08/24/90)

In article <11239@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>I found that calls to Kuwait (country code 965) are being intercepted
>with message "914-1T": "Due to an emergency situation in the country
>you are calling, your call cannot be completed at this time.  Please
>try your call again later."

The "914-1T" is not the announcement number, but rather the
identification of the switch playing the announcement.  This is used,
as needed, to trouble-shoot things in the network.  I can tell that
you are presubscribed to AT&T, and this call entered the network at
the 4 ESS in White Plains, New York.

Thanks for using AT&T!

Bryan Richardson
AT&T Bell Laboratories

mje@uunet.uu.net (Mark J Elkins) (09/03/90)

In article <11303@accuvax.nwu.edu> bryanr@ihlpy.att.com (Bryan M.
Richardson) writes:

>In article <11239@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>>I found that calls to Kuwait (country code 965) are being intercepted
>>with message "914-1T": "Due to an emergency situation in the country
>>you are calling, your call cannot be completed at this time.  Please
>>try your call again later."

[ all about .. >Thanks for using AT&T!]

Talk about routing!  - Dialing +914 from South Africa is intercepted
with the message 'Due to difficulties in Kuwait, telephone service is
not available - British Telecom will resume services as soon as
possible.'

How many other non-USA countries use BT to do routing to Kuwait?

I wonder if this implies that any country that South Africa does not
route directly to is routed via BT?

Olivetti Systems & Networks, Unix Support - Africa
UUCP: {uunet,olgb1,olnl1}!olsa99!mje (Mark Elkins)
mje@olsa99.UUCP (Postmaster) Tel: +27 11 339 9093

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (09/04/90)

 Richardson) writes:

>The "914-1T" is not the announcement number, but rather the
>identification of the switch playing the announcement.  This is used,
>as needed, to trouble-shoot things in the network.  I can tell that
>you are presubscribed to AT&T, and this call entered the network at
>the 4 ESS in White Plains, New York.

How can you tell that he is presubscribed rather than using 10288+011?
I thought there was no way for the IEC to know whether a call comes in
through presubscription or on-the-fly choice until they compare the
ANI with their subscription database.

If you simply meant "you are using AT&T", that's different.

cowan@marob.masa.com			(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)