[comp.dcom.telecom] Who Answers the Phone in Fiji?

Ed_Greenberg@fin.3mail.3com.com (08/28/90)

Well, I'm back from vacation in New York, and after scanning ten days
of telecom I see that I'm probably going to be the first to tell y'all
that, according to the Television guide in Newsday ("The Long Island
Newspaper"), the greeting in Fiji is (ta da)

        "Baku Vinaku Beachside"

 ... which is the name of a real live beach resort in Fiji.

And that's the news ... so now ya know!

Linc Madison <rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu> (08/29/90)

In article <11418@accuvax.nwu.edu> Ed writes:

>        "Baku Vinaku Beachside"

Zowie.  Now, the only question is who on earth could possibly be
stupid enough to confuse "0-602-NNX-XXXX" with "01-679-NXXXX"...  It
would've made more sense with calling Annapolis and got Athens, or
called Mississippi and got Malaysia, or called Rhode Island and got
Romania, or called Tennessee and got Turkey, or called Kansas City and
got Calcutta, or called Kansas City and got Osaka, or called Manhattan
and got Morocco, or called L.A. and got Algeria, or called the French
Quarter and got Latin America, or called New Mexico and got Nicaragua,
or called St. Paul and got Sydney, or called Boston and got Brisbane,
or called San Diego and got Perth (with an appropriate comment about
America's cup), or called Tampa and got Tokyo.

Linc Madison  =  linc@tongue1.berkeley.edu

Tom Perrine <tep@tots.logicon.com> (09/01/90)

In article <11511@accuvax.nwu.edu> rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc
Madison) writes:

>Zowie.  Now, the only question is who on earth could possibly be
>stupid enough to confuse "0-602-NNX-XXXX" with "01-679-NXXXX"...  It
>would've made more sense with calling Annapolis and got Athens, or
>or called San Diego and got Perth (with an appropriate comment about
>America's cup), or called Tampa and got Tokyo.

About eight years ago I was calling work in San Diego from Pheonix
using my brand-spanky-new calling card and I *did* get Perth,
Australia. It is, of course, just a matter of an extra 0 at the
beginning:

	0  1 619 4XX XXXX	San Diego via calling card
	0 01 61 9 4XX XXXX	International via calling card

When I talked to the operator about the mis-dialed call, I mentioned
that I had reached Perth by mistake and she immediately responded:
"Oh, you were calling San Diego!". It is apparently a *very* common
mis-dial.

How convenient that my San Diego work number is also a handy mnemonic
for what sounded like a very nice pub in Perth. If I ever get down
that way, I'll be set. :-)

Tom Perrine (tep)                       |Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon                                 |UUCP: nosc!hamachi!tots!tep
Tactical and Training Systems Division  |-or-  sun!suntan!tots!tep
San Diego CA                            |GENIE: T.PERRINE

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (09/05/90)

In article <11559@accuvax.nwu.edu> Tom Perrine <tep@tots.logicon.com>
writes:

>About eight years ago I was calling work in San Diego from Pheonix
>using my brand-spanky-new calling card and I *did* get Perth,
>Australia. It is, of course, just a matter of an extra 0 at the
>beginning:

>	0  1 619 4XX XXXX	San Diego via calling card

I think you botched this.  To dial using a calling card, one utters
0+NPA+NXX-XXXX, not 0+1+NPA etc.  01 is the prefix for operator-
assisted international calling, so the switch did the right thing.

>	0 01 61 9 4XX XXXX	International via calling card

001 is not international.  011 is direct-dial international, and 01 is
operator-assisted (calling card, etc.).  00 means "get the IXC
operator" if it means anything at all.

cowan@marob.masa.com			(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)