[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller*ID To RS232 Now Available

ka3ttu@uunet.uu.net> (09/01/90)

I think this will catch the attention of many.  Bell Atlantic Business
Supplies is marketing a device called "CLASSMATE".  It is a device
that plugs has a RJ-11 and a DB-25 connector on it.  It converts
CallerID to Your serial port.  It comes with some software that allows
you to hook the output of the box to your favorite database (or other
application program.).

The device is priced at about $49.00 and will be shipped in about two
to three weeks.  Judging by the usefulness of this unit I would order
early...

Note for the PROGRAMMER: Please let me know about the interesting
software you write for this GEM!!

James Van Houten
POTS (301) 507-9191

ka3ttu@uunet.uu.net> (09/02/90)

   I forgot to include the 800 Number for Bell Atlantic Business
Supplies.  It is 1-800-523-0552.  This might be helpful!!

Jim

"Donald E. Kimberlin" <0004133373@mcimail.com> (09/03/90)

<Van Houten describes Bell Atlantic Business Systems' CLASSMATE
product offering>

>It is a device that plugs has a RJ-11 and a DB-25 connector on it.
>It converts CallerID to Your serial port.  It comes with some
>software that allows you to hook the output of the box to your
>favorite database (or other application program.).

There's another existing source, perhaps offered in a way PC bulletin
board operators and general business would like it.  The product:
CallerID+Plus, from Rochelle Communications, Inc., Suite 200, 8716
North Mopac, Austin, TX 78759 POTS (512) 794-0088, FAX (512) 794-9997.

Rochelle offers their RJ-11/RS-232 interfacing hardware separately or
in conjunction with software that appears to be nicely suited to the
small business.  Their market thrust for the total package seems
slanted toward small business use.

For interest, their ANI-232 demodulator appears to be workable with
either LEC CLASS Caller ID or with MCI's IXC Caller ID functions.

It certainly will be neat when my local Sysop's BBS can just answer up
and take me directly to the menu screen because he could get Caller ID
on my when I dial in ... just to mention a possible hobbyist example
as well.

Rochelle Communications <0004169820@mcimail.com> (09/03/90)

In a message dated September 2, 1990, James Van Houten writes:

>Bell Atlantic Business Supplies is marketing a device called "CLASSMATE".
>It is a device that plugs into an RJ-11 and has a DB-25 connector on it. It
> converts Caller ID to your serial port.

I just want to bring to the attention of interested developers, that
this is not the first product on the market that demodulates Caller ID
and provides a computer interface. My company, Rochelle Communications,
have announced such a product some time ago. It has several features
that CLASSMATE lacks: 1) a ring detect indication, 2) a on-hook /
off-hook monitor (so that the PC can determine whether the incoming
call has been answered, and if so track its duration), and 3) it is
compatible with both US and Canadian implementations of Caller ID.

Rochelle will also provide extensive support for serious software
developers and systems integrators (Caller ID simulator, software
drivers, and direct technical support). Our ANI-232 has also undergone
extensive modem testing and received high marks from a leading
independent testing organization.

Rochelle has also developed an end-user product, Caller ID+Plus, which
adds a memory resident software package to the ANI-232. Caller ID+Plus
is a contact management system ideally suited for small businesses and
home office professionals.

Interested parties, please contact us at: +1 512 794 0088 or e-mail at
gamine@mcimail.com

Gilbert A. Amine
Rochelle Communications, Inc.
Austin, Texas

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (09/04/90)

In article <11660@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>It certainly will be neat when my local Sysop's BBS can just answer up
>and take me directly to the menu screen because he could get Caller ID
>on my when I dial in

*There's* a security hole for you.  All J. Random Phreak has to do is
patch into a local junction box.  (I forsee people not having both
password *and* CNI protection on a line.)

And you thought your C$ bill was high when your password got hacked.
1/2 :-)

J. Eric Townsend
University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics
(713) 749-2120   Internet: jet@uh.edu   Bitnet: jet@UHOU   Skate UNIX(r)

[Moderator's Note: Well Eric, nothing is going to be perfect, but many
little things help with the problem of computer break-ins. Yes, the
phreak could tie into a junction box someplace, and of course he could
easily get discovered by the owner of the pair he is on. He could take
his laptop portable down to the payphone on the corner, I guess, even
on a cold night in January. It boils down to how much effort is a
phreak going to make to break in somewhere when he knows he has to run
a veritable obstacle course along the way of Caller*ID, callback
modems, eight or ten character passwords to be deciphered, etc. There
will still be some who try, and some who succeed at breaking in, if
not necessarily succeeding at avoiding prosecution later.  PAT]

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (09/05/90)

Interesting. The problem is that for home computers with one RS232 port
that port is already used up for the modem. On the other hand, it does
sound like a nice job for the CP/M machine in my closet.

(How I wish that computers still came with two serial ports ... one
for the printer! The difference in cost between a serial and parallel
printer is way outweighed by the greater utility of a second serial
port.)

Peter da Silva.
+1 713 274 5180.
peter@ferranti.com