[comp.dcom.telecom] Unusual Connections

king@uunet.uu.net (Steven King) (09/05/90)

In article <11654@accuvax.nwu.edu> Our Good Moderator writes:

>[...] once a week I would see a very large truck parked in the
>alley behind Orchestra Hall on Michigan Avenue. The truck was
>inscribed "Illinois Bell Telephone Co". A large cable coming out the
>stage door of Orchestra Hall ran into the back of this truck.  Then it
>came out of the truck, and down into a manhole nearby.

Not dissimilar to what many cellular operating companies do for large
sporting events, political rallies, and whatnot: Drive up in your
base-site-in-a-truck, park it next to the stadium with the antenna
pointing inward, and point the truck's microwave antenna back to the
switch.  A little extra capacity never hurts!

Steve King, Motorola Cellular  (...uunet!motcid!king)