[comp.dcom.telecom] Different 'To' and 'From' Lines

dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl (Dolf Grunbauer) (08/29/90)

I always assumed that when making a telephone call the line to the
otherside is the same the line back from him to me. The other day
someone told me that this is not the case, especially when making a
international phone call.  According to him it is possible that for
example when calling from europe to the USA one line could use a
satellite connection while the other could use a transatlantic cable.
Is this true?

Dolf Grunbauer  Tel: +31 55 433233 Internet dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl
Philips Information Systems        UUCP     ...!mcsun!philapd!dolf

yazz@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Bob Yasi) (09/05/90)

Yes, it is true within the US so I see no reason it wouldn't be true
elsewhere.

I live in San Diego and could NOT get clean connections from AT&T to
either New Jersey or Boston.  I would sound great to the East Coast
but they would sound really bad.  I tried for _three months_ to get
AT&T to fix the problem, and learned a lot in the process, but they
never did fix it.  (If the call originated on the East Coast, then
both legs would sound fine.)  Anyway, that's why I have Sprint now --
AT&T could NOT provide decent service -- which, quite frankly,
surprises me to this day.

Bob Yazz (no bulky signature, thank-you) --

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (09/07/90)

 From: Dolf Grunbauer <dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl>

>I always assumed that when making a telephone call the line to the
>otherside is the same the line back from him to me. The other day
>someone told me that this is not the case, especially when making a
>international phone call.  According to him it is possible that for
>example when calling from europe to the USA one line could use a
>satellite connection while the other could use a transatlantic cable.
>Is this true?

It could be worse.  A number of years ago (I think it was summer of
'84, when the Bell breakup was to have taken place but effects were
not everywhere felt) I was in San Francisco installing a packet switch
for a commercial client.  We were trying to obtain a leased line to
New York, and while waiting for it to be installed we were attempting
to use dial-ups and modems.

Rather to our horror we learned from AT&T that of cross country
dial-up calls like those, no more than 10% - 15% were terrestrial both
ways.  Terrestrial capacity was scarce compared to satellite service.
People notice (and complain about) delays and echo problems on two-way
satellite calls such as are common on intercontinental phone calls,
but if one direction was terrestrial the effect was generally not
noticed by the speakers, so most calls were satellite one way.

The scary part was that AT&T said that a few months later they would
no longer guarantee two-way terrestrial service for leased lines (at
least 9.6kb lines).  When you are doing store-and-forward packet
switching this can have a major effect on things like buffer
management or line utilization, especially if you don't know about the
satellite delay.

I don't know if they ever carried out that policy change.  We mostly
used higher speed lines in our other business, and we would definitely
have noticed it there.

JBL