[comp.dcom.telecom] Info Needed on Submarine Cables

GEO5JMH@cms1.ucs.leeds.ac.uk (Jeremy M. Harmer) (09/06/90)

Can anyone tell me how I can find out the routes of all the submarine
cables in the world (yes, I actually need it :-) )...

Back on the subject of the '#' on keypads, an employee of British
Telecom when giving a lecture on the use of a new phone system
referred to this as "the GATE symbol"...!

Thanks.

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (09/07/90)

In article <11795@accuvax.nwu.edu>, GEO5JMH@cms1.ucs.leeds.ac.uk
(Jeremy M. Harmer) writes:

> Can anyone tell me how I can find out the routes of all the submarine
> cables in the world (yes, I actually need it :-) )...

	I have a list that is not up to date, it is from "Telephony's
Dictionary" by Graham Langley (1982). I know since then there has been
a fair amount of fiber optic laying. Also I would imagine that some
cables have been decommissioned. You could also try to locate a
friendly soul at AT&T Long Lines.

                      List of Submarine Cables

ADONIS, APHRODITE, ARIANE	France to Greece to Cyprus to Lebanon
AEGUS				Greece to Crete
ALPAL				Algeria to Majorca to Spain
AMITE				France to Morocco
ANNIBAL				France to Tunisia
ANTINEA				Sengal to Morocco
ANZCAN				Australia to New Zealand to Canada
APOLLO				Greece to Cyprus
APNG				Australia to Papua New Guinea
ARTEMIS				France to Greece
ASEANIS				Indonesia to Singapore
ASEANPS				Philippines to Singapore
ATLANTIS			Portugal to Brazil
BAPI				Spain to Italy
BARGEN				Spain to Italy
BARO				Spain to Italy
BER				USA to Bermuda
BRACAN				Brazil to Canary Islands
BRUS				Brazil to USA
CAM				Portugal to Madeira
CANBER				Canada to Bermuda
CANTAT				UK to Canada
COLOMBUS			Spain to Venezuela
COMPAC				Canada to Fiji/New Zealand/Australia
ECSC				Japan to China
EL FATAH			France to Libya
FLORICO				USA to Puerto Rico
FRATERNITE			Senegal to Ivory Coast
HAW 1, 2, 3			USA to Hawaii
IOCOM				Maylaysia to India
JASC				Japan to Russia
MARPAL				France to Italy
MARTEL				France to Israel
MAT 1				Spain to Italy
MED 1				Italy to Malta
MED 2				Sicily to Crete
MED 3				Italy to Greece
OKITAI				Okinawa to Japan to Taiwan
OLUHO				Okinawa to Philippines to Hong Kong
PENBAL				Spain to Baleric Islands
PENCAN				Spain to Canary Islands
PHILSIN				Alias for ASEANPS
SAT 1				Portugal to South Africa
SCOTICE, ICECAN			UK (Scotland) to Iceland to Canada
SEACOM				Singapore to Maylaysia to Hong Kong,
                                   then on to Papua New Guinea to Australia
SHEFA				Shetland Islands to Faeroe Islands
ST T				USA to US Virgin Islands
TAGIDE				France to Portugal
TASMAN				Australia to New Zealand
TAT 1 to 8			Europe to North America
TELPAL				Israel to Italy
TRANSCAN			Canary Islands (inter-island)
TRANSPAC 1			Hawaii to Japan to Philippines
TRANSPAC 2			Hawaii to Japan

	This is not a complete list. Many small cables have been
omitted.  For example, there is a cable between Key West, Florida and
Havana, Cuba. In the Telephony's Dictionary, there are diagrams
showing where these cables run and the number of circuits they carry.

	Students of Geography, History and Politics will have fun with
these cables. Some of them are between colonial powers and old
colonies, some are obviously for trade purposes and some for political
expediency. SAT 1 was set up between South Africa and Portugal because
the South Africans were reluctant to have circuits running across
possibly hostile Black Africa. Portugal was chosen as the European
landing country because of its political neutrality and the old trade
connections between Portugal and South Africa.

	According to the Dictionary, the first significant submarine
cable was laid in 1850.  The first major submarine cable was TAT 1; it
carried 50 circuits. TAT 1, laid in 1956, has been decommissioned. As
I recall the last trans-Atlantic cable laid was a fiber optic jobbie
with a 40,000 circuit capacity.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495