[comp.dcom.telecom] 800-800 Now a Valid Prefix

kaplanr@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Robert Kaplan) (09/08/90)

While I have yet to see an 800 "exchange" of the form [0|1]XX in
actual use, one COCOT of my acquaintance gives its repair number as
1-800-111-1111.  Dialing this number from a non-COCOT always gives a
recorded "Please check the number and try again later..."  Probably
the COCOT translates that number to something else internally.  I
_have_ seen NXX-type prefixes; in fact, I recently saw a sticker with
an 800-800-XXXX number on it ... and, yes, that was the correct, valid
number!  Anyone know who belongs to 800-800?  And am I the first one
to notice NXX prefixes on 800?

Scott Fybush / kaplanr@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu

la063249@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig) (09/09/90)

I dialed a random 800-800 number and got the message 'your call cannot
be completed as entered.... 44 431.... which sounds like a US Sprint
recording' that I used to get when I would use them ocassionally.

(I use various carriers including MCI, AT&T and SouthTel now but not
US Sprint.)

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (09/10/90)

My sister just got an 800-800-xxxx number.  I think she said it was Sprint.

Brian Jay Gould - Professional Brain-stormer

bill@toto.info.com (Bill Cerny) (09/10/90)

In article <11923@accuvax.nwu.edu>, la063249@zach.fit.edu (Bill
Huttig) writes:

> I dialed a random 800-800 number and got the message 'your call cannot
> be completed as entered.... 44 431.... which sounds like a US Sprint
> recording' that I used to get when I would use them ocassionally.

I'm dismayed by the insurance company with 800-800-1212; it has a very
dumb "hack me" voice mail system.  For those of us on the receiving
end, the "800 is a free call" myth died in the early 80's.  Caveat
emptor: your 800 lines cost _real_ money; how much "free play" can you
afford? (no wonder insurance premiums have zoomed astronomically!)

Bill Cerny bill@toto.info.com | attmail: !denwa!bill

johns@scroff.uk.sun.com (John Slater) (09/11/90)

In article <11855@accuvax.nwu.edu>, kaplanr@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu
(Scott Fybush) writes:

|> number!  Anyone know who belongs to 800-800?  And am I the first one
|> to notice NXX prefixes on 800?

In the UK our equivalent of 1-800 is the 0800 STD code (+ 6D).

No prizes for who bagged 0800 800 800 : British Telecom sales
enquiries.

John Slater
Sun Microsystems UK, Gatwick Office

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (09/11/90)

 From: Scott Fybush <kaplanr@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>

> And am I the first one to notice NXX prefixes on 800?

Several years ago (I'd guess five to seven) we had individually
diallable pagers at 1-800-212-XXXX.  This was shortly before the first
time I saw NXX exchanges in real application (Manhattan telephone
numbers in A.C. 212).

JBL