[comp.dcom.telecom] What Kind of Switch is This?

dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (09/06/90)

A customer has a loop-start CO line (it happens to be the first in a
small hunt-group) where outgoing service is normal.  On incoming
calls, the caller hears the ringback tone, but no ringing voltage at
all is delivered to the line.  Listening with a butt set (in monitor
mode) when an incoming call is attempted, one hears absolutely nothing
 ... no clicks, no tones, and no ring power.  But switch to talk mode,
and you answer the incoming call and can converse with the caller.  If
the first line is in use, calls hunt to other members of the group,
and those lines ring normally.  I wonder if the CO is administered
with none of the possible ringing options selected?  (No, it's not tip
party, it's not ring party, it's not bridged ringing, etc.  None of
the above?  Don't ring at all!)

The CO is probably a digital time-division switch of some kind, as
there are no audible clicks or loop current interruptions when calling
out.  The access code is 516-234.  The customer's site is in Central
Islip, New York (which is on Long Island).

Has anybody ever heard of this failure mode?  Does anybody know the
type of CO used by New York Telephone in those parts?

The telco has promised to have somebody out today to look at the
problem.  I suggested to the repair bureau agent that they ought to
look at the CO first, as the loop works normally for outgoing service,
but what do _I_ know about it?

Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN) (09/07/90)

516-234 exchange, I think it's a 5ESS.

It is in the Brentwood/Ronkonkoma area, and it serves LOTS of
exchanges, like 230-234,273, 348, 434-436, and 582. (I think there are
supposed to be 2 more, but they are not listed in the book or the
recording, so either they are planned or I'm just misinformed.)
(Probably the latter! :-) )

You can always call NYTel and ask them - they used to NEVER tell you
what sort of switch you were on, but they seem to have become less
paranoid and more progressive, and will now freely discuss equipment
types, cut-over dates, etc with you at length. (Other Bells, such as,
ahem, Pac*Bell, well, it's a different story with them...!)

Hope this helps,

Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (09/09/90)

In article <11794@accuvax.nwu.edu> dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave
Levenson) writes:

> A customer has a loop-start CO line (it happens to be the first in a
> small hunt-group) where outgoing service is normal.  On incoming
> calls, the caller hears the ringback tone, but no ringing voltage at
> all is delivered to the line.  Listening with a butt set (in monitor
> mode) when an incoming call is attempted, one hears absolutely nothing
>  ... no clicks, no tones, and no ring power.  But switch to talk mode,
> and you answer the incoming call and can converse with the caller.
> The CO is probably a digital time-division switch of some kind, as
> there are no audible clicks or loop current interruptions when calling

> Has anybody ever heard of this failure mode?

	Assuming that it is a digital CO, the ringing control is
provided directly by the subscriber loop interface circuit.  Since
ring control circuitry is unique to each line, a failure mode can
exist which affects only a single line.  Failure of the ring control
switching element (could be either solid-state or a relay, depending
upon the type of CO apparatus) that switches the ring conductor
battery feed between -48 volts and -48 volts superimposed upon 20 Hz
ringing could cause the *exact* problem you are describing.

> I wonder if the CO is administered
> with none of the possible ringing options selected?  (No, it's not tip
> party, it's not ring party, it's not bridged ringing, etc.  None of
> the above?  Don't ring at all!)

	My intuition is that it is a simple hardware failure as
described above, and not an administration error.  Besides, in most if
not all digital CO apparatus, party line control requires a subscriber
line interface card which is *different* from than that used for
regular single-party service.  Since it is not likely that such a card
would be furnishing service to the above single-party subscriber, such
an administration error is most likely physically precluded.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
     {boulder||decvax||rutgers||watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
VOICE: 716/688-1231 || FAX: 716/741-9635  {utzoo||uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

asd@mtqua.att.com (Adam Denton) (09/11/90)

Levenson) writes:

> [Dave Levenson is inquiring about a CO switch not delivering ring voltage]
> The access code is 516-234.  The customer's site is in Central
> Islip, New York (which is on Long Island).

> Has anybody ever heard of this failure mode?  Does anybody know the
> type of CO used by New York Telephone in those parts?

The switch is a 5ESS.  I don't know the generic.  You can get the
scoop on what exchanges it serves by calling 234-9901 (in area code
516).  Most of NYTel's COs can be inquired by dialing NNX-9901 (I
think).

One time when I was in Hauppauge (right next to Central Islip), and
just for fun, I tried 234-9902 (actually it may have been 582-9902).
Surprise!  I got the most bizarre tone I have ever heard on a phone
line.  I figured it was some kind of funky second dial tone, so I
dialed some more digits.  I waited, and someone came on the line and
said (in an annoyed voice):

   "You are dialing on the INTERCOM!  If you don't know what you are
    doing, PLEASE read the INSTRUCTIONS!!"

and then they hung up.  So I guess you can dial the CO intercom system
from outside the switch!  Maybe some day, I'll call up one day and
have a nice chat with some of the CO personnel.  Maybe...  :-)

Live and learn!!

Adam Denton
asd@mtqua.att.com

johns@scroff.uk.sun.com (John Slater) (09/12/90)

In article <12017@accuvax.nwu.edu>, asd@mtqua.att.com (Adam Denton)
writes:

|> One time when I was in Hauppauge (right next to Central Islip), and
|> just for fun, I tried 234-9902 (actually it may have been 582-9902).
|> Surprise!  I got the most bizarre tone I have ever heard on a phone
|> line.  I figured it was some kind of funky second dial tone, so I
|> dialed some more digits.  I waited, and someone came on the line and
|> said (in an annoyed voice):

|>    "You are dialing on the INTERCOM!  If you don't know what you are
|>     doing, PLEASE read the INSTRUCTIONS!!"

|> and then they hung up.  So I guess you can dial the CO intercom system
|> from outside the switch!  Maybe some day, I'll call up one day and
|> have a nice chat with some of the CO personnel.  Maybe...  :-)

The number is definitely 516-582-9902. After the above article, I
couldn't resist dialling, even at transatlantic rates. I got a
peculiar tone (a bit like UK ringing tone), then silence. I said
"Hello" a few times and heard nothing. I decided to hang on for a
while, intermittently humming to myself and saying "hello". After
about thirty seconds a *very* irritated voice came on the line and
said "What do you want?!".  Rather than irritate him further, I hung
up. I guess it's a fairly stupid idea to have a dial-in intercom
system in the first place, so my sympathy level is low.

John Slater
Sun Microsystems UK, Gatwick Office