[comp.dcom.telecom] Call-Screening Device About to Hit the Market

Rich Kulawiec <rsk@oldfield.cs.colostate.edu> (09/02/90)

Excerpts from an article in the {Fort Collins Coloradoan}, Sunday 8/26/90:

Duo Develops Phone Device - Owner can Choose Calls to Receive
by J. Lewandowski

No one should ever be bugged by nuisance phone calls, two Fort Collins
businessmen believe.

So Rob Day and Andy May are convinced people will pay $200 to stop
unwanted calls.

The two Fort Collins businessmen wlil soon be selling an answering
machine-sized device that can stop incoming calls.  They're so
confident in their product that they expect to sell 500,000 of the
electronic machines during the next twelve months.

[...]

The product, called Tess, plugs into into the phone just like an
answering machine.  It prevents the phone from ringing and only lets
calls through from people you might wnat to talk to.  Tess is an
acronym for Telephone Exclusion Screening System.

[...]

Tess works like this: Users enter phone numbers from whom they'll
accept calls -- up to 25 numbers can be programmed.  The machine
answers before the phone rings and asks the called to enter their
number.  If the machine doesn't recognize the number, a recorded
message asks the caller to try again later.  Approved numbers allow
the phone to ring.

[...]

Telesync [the company the pair have formed] is now signing up a
variety of national marketing companies to sell the product
nationwide.  And in what could be considered a case of entrepeneurial
cannibalism, the bulk of sales in the first year will be done by --
get this -- telemarketing companies.

"They'll call up and say 'how would you like this to be the last phone
call at dinner you ever need to answer?'" May said.

[...]

   -- end excerpts, begin comments --

There are a number of obvious problems with this system, and a few
that aren't clear, at least from the text of the article.  The
caller's "number" isn't specified.  Is it their phone number, or is it
a unique N-digit number that must be told to each caller?  If it's
their phone number, then it could perhaps be deduced by someone with
knowledge of the personal relationships involved, allowing an
unauthorized person access.  If it's only a few digits, then it could
be found by trial and error.

That deals with the problem of unauthorized folks gaining access; but
what about folks who should be authorized but can't get in?  The
police and fire departments, for instance; the person who found your
lost dog and is calling the number on the tag; a friend you haven't
heard from in a while, etc.  And with only 25 storable numbers, it
seems like it would quickly be necessary to start giving multiple
people the same number.

Finally, their use of telemarketers to sell the device is one of the
sleaziest tactics I've seen yet; it's reminiscent of the street types
in certain large cities who run up to cars stopped at intersections
and throw mud on the windshields -- and then offer to wash the car for
a fee.

Rsk

[Moderator's Note: You'd have the device on your public, listed line.
Your animal's tags would show your non-pub private number. And since
this new device apparently does not distinquish one number from
another, except that either it is listed in the table or not, you'd
just program one number, i.e. 12345, and let it be known to the people
you want calling your public number to insert that sequence on answer.
If instead of merely saying 'call later' this device would transfer
the call to an answering machine, that would be the best arrangement
of all.  This isn't really a new idea. A company called International
Mobile Machines of Bala Cynwyd, PA had a similar product on the market
about ten years ago. Why it did not become more popular, I do not
know. Their model shunted unwanted calls to an answering machine. I
bought one, then later sold it to a friend. PAT]

"J. Eric Townsend" <jet@karazm.math.uh.edu> (09/03/90)

In article <11636@accuvax.nwu.edu> the Moderator writes:

>[Moderator's Note: You'd have the device on your public, listed line.
>Your animal's tags would show your non-pub private number. And since

Right.  How many of us can afford to have two voice lines?

I have two lines because I need a dedicated data line.  The idea of
two voice lines, one published and one unpublished, strikes me as both
silly and expensive.

J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU    Skate UNIX(r)

[Moderator's Note: Many folks have two lines, particularly if there
are children in the family. Or, they may have two lines with one for
voice and the other *primarily* for data, like myself. I still
take/make some voice calls on my second line as needed.   PAT]

jgo@mcgp1.uucp (John Opalko, N7KBT) (09/05/90)

In article <11636@accuvax.nwu.edu> rsk@oldfield.cs.colostate.edu (Rich
Kulawiec) writes:

[ Description of the Tess device for screening incoming calls. ]

Sounds like the old American Bell "Telstar".  I've got two of 'em.

Not a new idea at all, I'm afraid...

John Opalko
jgo@mcgp1.UUCP

matt_mcgehrin@pro-graphics.cts.com (Matthew McGehrin) (09/08/90)

idea that would work. NJ Bell and other Baby Bell companies usually
offer a service called a 'teen line', that can be put on a subcriber's
line, for a family member or 'teen'.

When I first got my modem, I had my own 'teen' line and had higher
phone bills then my parents ever did, anyhow. If you need a second
cheaper line that is automatically unlisted, get a teen line. Use the
teen line for your 'voice' number and your 'orignal line' as your data
line. That way you can get unlisted service free of charge. Another
recommendation would to subscribe to PC-Pursuit or if you like faster
communications, use Reach Out America. The first hour is $8.70 (gone
in one day), and additional hours are $6.60 which is an great rate;
(about 11 cents) a minute after 10pm.

Matthew McGehrin
Internet :Matthew.Mcgehrin@f528!n520!z1!ieee!org
Fidonet  :1:107/528
Pro-Graphics BBS  908/469-0049

 ....UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!matt_mcgehrin
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!matt_mcgehrin@nosc.mil
Internet: matt_mcgehrin@pro-graphics.cts.com

gs26@prism.gatech.edu (Glenn R. Stone) (09/12/90)

In <11899@accuvax.nwu.edu> matt_mcgehrin@pro-graphics.cts.com (Matthew
McGehrin) writes:

>...or if you like faster
>communications, use Reach Out America. The first hour is $8.70 (gone
>in one day), and additional hours are $6.60 which is an great rate;
>(about 11 cents) a minute after 10pm.

Ummm .... MCI Prime Time will beat that on two counts .... I currently
pay $7.50/6.50 (they didn't TELL me they were cutting their rates, but
they did, anyway; I'm not complaining :), and Prime Time coverage
starts at 5pm instead of 10 .... Switch, hell.  Why should I pay
Deathstarco more money for services I never use?

Just another satisfied MCI customer.

Glenn R. Stone
gs26@prism.gatech.edu

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (09/13/90)

"Glenn R. Stone" <gs26@prism.gatech.edu> writes:

> Just another satisfied MCI customer.

Well, OK, since we have been whacking Sprint lately, thought I'd share
a little goodie:

				---------------

         AT&T NEWS BRIEFS
         [All items are today's date unless otherwise noted]

         Wednesday, September 12, 1990

         SLAM DUNK -- ... Last spring, ... arthritic, 83-year-old widow
         [Margaret Olt] became another casualty of the long-distance
         industry's battle for customers.  A telemarketer called Mrs. Olt
         at home.  All he wanted, he said, was to save her some money on
         her long-distance phone calls by switching her service to MCI from
         AT&T.  Annoyed ... Mrs. Olt says she hung up on him.  But when her
         next phone bill arrived, ... it showed a $5 charge from "some
         outfit called the MCI."  In phone industry parlance, Mrs. Olt had
         just been "slammed."  She thus joined tens of thousands of
         telephone customers around the nation who claim their phone
         service has been switched without their consent. ... MCI denies
         that it would slam a customer and [contends] that ... it received
         oral approval for service from Mrs. Olt. ... Last year, in any
         case, at least 100,000 phone customers complained to their local
         phone companies that their long-distance carrier had been switched
         without authorization. ... AT&T says slamming is costing it
         millions of dollars, not only in lost revenues, but also for
         processing complaints from consumers who still think AT&T runs the
         nation's phone system. ... "It reached a crisis stage in 1989,"
         says Merrill Tutton, vp of consumer services at AT&T.  Mr. Tutton
         says the biggest culprits are ...  MCI and companies that help
         sell its service. ... In the current fiscal year, complaints to
         [the FCC] so far total:  MCI, 387; Sprint, 194, and AT&T, 22.  ...
         MCI says it is capturing about 100,000 AT&T customers a week.  But
         Mr. Tutton says that when AT&T asks its former customers why they
         left, more than 20 percent of those contacted say they didn't know
         that they had given up AT&T service. ... The FCC is reviewing a
         request from AT&T that would require written authorizations from
         customers before any service changes. ... Wall Street Journal, A1.

So how 'bout it? From all accounts MCI does seem to be the slamming
king. I have, on several occasions, had to "clean off" MCI as the
default carrier on some of my clients' trunks. Associates of mine
report the same. So while Sprint is exhorting potential customers to
switch from AT&T, MCI is doing it for them whether they like it or
not.

What a slimepit!

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !