[comp.dcom.telecom] Info Needed on COLAN

lih@probe.att.com (08/14/90)

Can anyone give a description or refer me to some documentation on
COLAN (Central Office Local Area Network)?

Thanks.

Andrew Lih
lih@probe.att.com

"Marc T. Kaufman" <kaufman@neon.stanford.edu> (08/15/90)

In article <10885@accuvax.nwu.edu> lih@probe.att.com writes:

>Can anyone give a description or refer me to some documentation on
>COLAN (Central Office Local Area Network)?

DAVID systems has a PBX cum Ethernet which has been sold to Ameritech
as a CO LAN.  There are Ethernet jacks on the back of the phone sets,
and any Ethernet capable equipment can be plugged in.  Once the data
gets to the PBX switch, it is turned into real Ethernet.  "Real"
Ethernet devices on coax can also be used with the system.  Switches
can be connected via coax, Ethernet, or (multiple) T-1 spans.
Ethernet packets can be gatewayed between switches on any of these
links.

The CO LAN concept has all voice traffic directed to Centrex (thus
removing the voice features of the PBX), while letting the PBX connect
Ethernet packets within itself, and, via links to the CO, to other
DAVID switches (hence: CO LAN).

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

Robert Halloran <rkh@mtune.att.com> (08/17/90)

In article <10885@accuvax.nwu.edu> lih@probe.att.com writes:

>Can anyone give a description or refer me to some documentation on
>COLAN (Central Office Local Area Network)?

CO-LAN (at least the version I know about) is a data-over-voice
network offered by some of the RBOC's.  The user takes a VDM
(voice-data mux), plugs it into the phone line, then connects the
terminal/PC/whatever and the phone set into the VDM.  The unit
modulates the data stream above the voice band and carries it to the
CO, where it is broken back out by another VDM there and typically fed
into a Datakit VCS data switch for access to host services.  The VDM
can handle input to 19.2K baud.

The user must be within three "wire-miles" of the CO for the VDM to be
able to successfully drive the line.  Our group (w/ NJ Bell) manages a
CO-LAN for AT&T employees in four CO's of Monmouth county where the
density makes it sensible (there must be a threshold number of
potential users to justify parking the data switch at the CO).  I know
of at least one other CO-LAN for AT&T employees in northern NJ (the
Murray Hill area).

				Bob Halloran

Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com	UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (09/13/90)

Intecom at one point in time was also marketing this capability on
their PBX, as I remember there was a bandwidth limit <10Mbps on the
cable plant to the phone.  In addition an Ethernet Jam et al was
propogated to each "phone".  In general a real mess, this was circa
1986.

I'd be interested in hearing on some of the technical details of the
DAVID systems on the list.

Marty