[comp.dcom.telecom] NPA Lines and Long Distance

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (09/14/90)

You wrote:

>[Moderator's Note: An example of that here was 414-396 / 312-396.
>Antioch, IL was 312-395. North Antioch, WI is 414-396, but was dialable
>from *Antioch only* as 396+4D. To reach the *real* 312-396 residents
>of the village of Antioch had to dial one plus. 414-396 is Illinois
>Bell's one incursion into the 414 area. Now, Antioch is 708, but so is
>Blue Island, IL where the 'real' 708-396 lives. I don't know what they
>do up there now.  PAT]

Yes, there are other examples where local calls across an area code
line are only seven digits.  But if I am calling long distance to the
above area on Ill.-Wisc. border, I should still have had to use 312
(now 708) for Antioch and 414 for North Antioch.  312-396 (now
708-396) would have gotten the 396 prefix in Blue Island.

But in that case at Omaha, there is a prefix which is reachable (long
distance) both in 402 and 712.  And in the DC area, incoming long
distance calls have been able to reach Md. and Va. suburbs (not just
DC) in area code 202.  (However, the new ten-digit scheme for local
calls across NPA borders in the DC area allows 202 area code only for
DC prefixes, and use of 202 for Md. and Va. suburbs has to end to
allow for previously-forbidden prefix duplication.)