[comp.dcom.telecom] "Air Time" Charges For Unanswered Cellular Calls

AUGUST@vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov (Richard B. August) (08/29/90)

Is there information available in the Archives or other repository
which mentions a movement of cellular telephone users to lobby the PUC
regarding the charging for "AIR TIME" in cellular systems?

If not, we should start one.

Thanks in advance.

Richard B. August
august@vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov

[Moderator's Note: There is no such file in the archives.  PAT]

gentry@kcdev.uucp (Art Gentry) (08/31/90)

In article <11480@accuvax.nwu.edu> AUGUST@vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov (Richard
B. August) writes:

>Is there information available in the Archives or other repository
>which mentions a movement of cellular telephone users to lobby the PUC
>regarding the charging for "AIR TIME" in cellular systems?

I am assuming from your Subject: line that you are speaking about
charges for air-time on an unanswered or busy call.  My cellular
company does NOT charge for uncompleted calls.  My air-time charges
start at answer super- vision time, not at call placement time.  The
same applies for incoming calls, I am not charged for calls that I
don't answer.  Just FYI, my supplier is Cellular One.

R. Arthur Gentry  Gentry and Associates  Excelsior Springs, MO   64024
   Email: gentry@genco.uucp          ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry
   The UNIX BBS: 816-221-0475        The Bedroom BBS: 816-637-4183
                   $include {std_disclaimer.h}

PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter M. Weiss) (09/06/90)

In article <11760@accuvax.nwu.edu>, gentry@kcdev.uucp (Art Gentry) says:

>My air-time charges
>start at answer supervision time, not at call placement time.  The
>same applies for incoming calls, I am not charged for calls that I
>don't answer.  Just FYI, my supplier is Cellular One.

It is my understanding is this part of the globe that C-1 charges from
the moment you hit the SEND key if (and only if) the call is answered.
Otherwise, no charge.

/Pete (pmw1@psuvm.psu.edu)

[Moderator's Note: The same policy applies to Ameritech, the carrier I
use. If a call is answered, then the charging is backdated to when you
hit the send button. No answer, no charge for air time.   PAT]

darryl@drutx.att.com (JacobsD) (09/11/90)

>[Moderator's Note: The same policy applies to Ameritech, the carrier I
>use. If a call is answered, then the charging is backdated to when you
>hit the send button. No answer, no charge for air time.   PAT]

Last time I roamed on the Chicago B system (about two months ago),
roamers were charged $.25 for each busy/not answered call.

Darryl Jacobs		Bell Laboratories, Denver
att!drutx!darryl || darryl@drutx.att.com
Note: I won't even claim these views as mine.

[Moderator's Note: The main difference, I suppose, is that you were
roaming here, while I am a local subscriber of the B system.   PAT]

monty@sunne.east.sun.com (Monty Solomon - Temp Consultant) (09/14/90)

B. August) writes:

>Is there information available in the Archives or other repository
>which mentions a movement of cellular telephone users to lobby the PUC
>regarding the charging for "AIR TIME" in cellular systems?

I am assuming from your Subject: line that you are speaking about
charges for air time on an unanswered or busy call.  My cellular
company does NOT charge for uncompleted calls.  My air time charges
start at answer supervision time, not at call placement time.  The
same applies for incoming calls, I am not charged for calls that I
don't answer.  Just FYI, my supplier is Cellular One.

Cellular One told me today that they charge for air time on forwarded
calls even though these calls don't use the cell.

[Moderator's Note: And that has to be a sleazy tactic also. Ameritech
does not charge for calls forwarded which involve no air time.   PAT]