[comp.dcom.telecom] Need Info on In-House Phone Systems

friedl@mtndew.tustin.ca.us (Steve Friedl) (09/11/90)

Hi Telecomsters,

     A year ago, our prayers were answered when we found the Proctor
phone demonstrator, which lets me do testing of our fax modem products
without having to get regular phone lines.  Up to four devices sit on
this box, and they can all dial each other.  It saved my sanity.

     The problem is that I now need more than this.  I would love some
kind of box that would let me use a intercom mode for internal
testing, plus provide bidirectional access to real outside lines.  I
have four or so fax modems hooked up here, plus a fax machine or two,
and it drives me nuts as I keep having to swap phone lines around to
make this or that talk to each other.  I really do not want to buy
real phone lines for everything.

     Has anybody got any ideas here?  I have heard people speak of the
low-end Panasonic phone systems (which might be just the ticket), but
I really don't know anything about them.

Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Fax+Drugs+RockNroll / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (09/14/90)

In article <12005@accuvax.nwu.edu>, friedl@mtndew.tustin.ca.us (Steve
Friedl) writes:

>      A year ago, our prayers were answered when we found the Proctor
> phone demonstrator, which lets me do testing of our fax modem products
> without having to get regular phone lines.  Up to four devices sit on
> this box, and they can all dial each other.  It saved my sanity.

>      The problem is that I now need more than this.  I would love some
> kind of box that would let me use a intercom mode for internal
> testing, plus provide bidirectional access to real outside lines.  I

>      Has anybody got any ideas here?  I have heard people speak of the
> low-end Panasonic phone systems (which might be just the ticket), but
> I really don't know anything about them.

Yes, get a Panasonic KSU.  I am not familiar with the model numbers,
but they are low cost, and there is at least one model that allows
connection on the station side to either the Panasonic phone, or a
standard two-wire device.

The reason that Proctor did not make another model that is larger than
the 49200 Telephone Demonstrator is that an 8 or 12 line unit would be
trying to compete against low-cost offshore KSUs, which it cannot.
All of Proctor's products are assembled by hand in Redmond,
Washington, and so they go after niches that the Asian factories
don't.

Next month Proctor is coming out with a cheaper 2 line version,
the model 49250.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA   Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544       Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad    or, tad@ssc.UUCP