[comp.dcom.telecom] Intra-NPA Long Distance

0003829147@mcimail.com (Sander J. Rabinowitz) (09/12/90)

In the TELECOM Digest issue of 12 September 1990, Bob Goudreau of Data
General Corp.  <goudreu@dg-rtp.dg.com> writes:

>In article <11912@accuvax.nwu.edu>, merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal
>Schwartz) writes:

>> I think this scam of using 1+ to indicate area codes instead of toll
>> calls is actually good for the phone company in two ways ... they can
>> sell more phone numbers (if it wasn't for PBX DID, we wouldn't be
>> running out), and people can get stuck with toll calls without knowing
>> it.  A scam.

>First of all, are you sure that the new dialing rules will allow you
>to dial intra-NPA long distance calls as NXX-XXXX?  We've undergone a
>similar number shortage here in NC, and the new rules require
>1-NXX-NXX-XXXX for *all* long distance calls, both intra- and
>inter-NPA.  Eight-digit dialing for intra-NPA LD (1-NNX-XXXX) has been
>eliminated.  Any number that can be dialed with only seven digits is
>thus guaranteed to be local.

My own area (area code 313) is in a transition to 1-NXX-NXX-XXXX
dialing, such that both methods of dialing (as described above) are
presently allowed.  One interesting side effect (I suspect that it's
accidental) is that 10xxx long-distance carrier (LDC) access codes can
be used for all 1-NXX-NXX-XXXX, even if the call is _within_ the same
LATA!  I tried this experimentally for a couple of numbers, and it did
show up in the bill on a separate page for the LDC.

I suspect that this must be temporary, because I was under the
impression that LDC's could not handle intra-LATA calls.

Sander J. Rabinowitz -- +1 313 478 6358 -- 0003829147@mcimail.com
The University of Michigan-Dearborn (Graduating Senior)
Views are not necessarily those of the University.

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (09/15/90)

 From: "Sander J. Rabinowitz" <0003829147@mcimail.com>:

>I suspect that this must be temporary, because I was under the
>impression that LDC's could not handle intra-LATA calls.

LDCs must handle all customer calls between two LATAs.  The BOCs are
not permitted to do this (exception: "corporate" calls between two BOC
offices in different LATAs can be handled by the BOC itself).

LDCs MAY handle intra-LATA calls at the discretion of the state's
regulatory agency.  In some states this is allowed; in some it is not.

JBL

dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David Tamkin) (09/16/90)

Joel Levin wrote in volume 10, issue 645:

| From: "Sander J. Rabinowitz" <0003829147@mcimail.com>:

| >I suspect that this must be temporary, because I was under the
| >impression that LDC's could not handle intra-LATA calls.

| LDCs must handle all customer calls between two LATAs.  The BOCs are
| not permitted to do this (exception: "corporate" calls between two BOC
| offices in different LATAs can be handled by the BOC itself).

| LDCs MAY handle intra-LATA calls at the discretion of the state's
| regulatory agency.  In some states this is allowed; in some it is not.

{Note: zeroes in this article were intentionally typed as capital O's
so that those of you reading in fonts with slashed zeroes can easily
distinguish "seven hundred" from "seven zero eight."}

Even at that, long-distance carriers don't have to carry intra-LATA
calls if they don't wish to.  I can dial one of my lines from the
other via US Sprint or Telecom*USA, for example, but not via MCI nor
AT&T.  Telecom*USA even offers a shortcut for dialing intra-LATA,
intra-NPA calls via their lines: 1-7OO-NXX-XXXX is assumed to be a
call within your area code.  (Secondary customers, I imagine, can dial
1O835-1-7OO-NXX-XXXX or 1O835-1-NPA-NXX-XXXX.)  Intra-LATA, inter-NPA
calls require 1O835-1-NPA-NXX-XXXX, of course, or the local telco will
carry them.  For some parts of the old 312, Telecom*USA's night rates
are lower for me than my telco's rates, so the 1-7OO- was useful; now
those areas are in 7O8, so I have to use 1O835-1-7O8- to call them via
Telecom*USA.

David Tamkin  Box 7OO2  Des Plaines IL  6OO18-7OO2  7O8 518 6769  312 693 O591
MCI Mail: 426-1818  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 7372O,157O   dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com