[comp.dcom.telecom] Intrastate Calling and Sprint

eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) (09/16/90)

John Higdon wrote:

> Unfortunately, within California, while the quality of Sprint calls is
> nearly as good as AT&T, the rates are not really competitive. There
> seems to be a ~10% discrepancy in AT&T's favor that gets progressively
> greater as the length of the call progresses. ($0.11/min AT&T vs $0.14
> min Sprint)

Interstate rates are normally regulated by the PUC or DPU, aren't
they?  So much for "Equal Access" in California.

> But, as we have discussed before, all the outfits seemed focused on out
> of state traffic. There is NO accomodation for intrastate callers. This
> is more of a problem in the west, since for a given radius one crosses
> fewer state boundaries. For instance, I spend at least an hour a day on
> the phone talking to people >400 miles away--all within California. And
> the per minute rate is higher than the longest distance
> interstate call.

Are these people always at the same phone number, or one that doesn't
change that often?  Have you tried getting *them* to install a ATT or
US Sprint 800 number?  You could pay the bill for em if they're your
customers and it might save you $ overall on your own total bill.  800
rates have a different tariff schedule from the state, don't they?

> > A sincere long distance fiend,

> Same here. Thank heaven for 800...

You've tried 800 to that site, already?!  Are those in state rates a
legislated ripoff, too?

eli