[comp.dcom.telecom] Autodialer Ruining My Life!

psp@research.att.com (09/14/90)

Greetings, net.denizens ... I've been having a problem with getting
hangups. I get them about ten times a week, both when I answer in
person and when I let my phone machine catch the message. There's
never any background noise to it, so I suspect this is an autodialer
I'm dealing with.

So I called up NJ Bell to complain, and they wanted to sell me
Caller*ID, Call*Tracing, and a bunch of other silly things that I
Don't*Need and Don't*Want. I understood those services to be
"convenience" services, rather than replacements for the Operating
Company's annoyance call bureau; and I certainly don't understand why
*I* should have to shell out money to debug someone else's UUCP file!

So ... exactly what are NJ Bell's obligations to me here? Anybody else
here deal with this? What happened?

Polly Powledge
P.S.Powledge@ATT.COM

[Moderator's Note: NJ Bell's obligations to you are to provide you
with usable, *non-annoying* phone service. Call back and ask to speak
with the Annoyance Call Bureau. If the service rep answering your call
will not give you the number or put you through, then speak with the
manager of the office. If the Annoyance Call Bureau there operates
like Illinois Bell's, they will put a trap on the line and try (no
guarentees) to capture the number of the calling phone. They will only
do this if you are willing to press charges against the person causing
the annoyance if s/he is caught. They will not release the number of
the caller to you, but they will give it to the police as part of any
investigation going on. It may be someone's UUCP file or it may be a
FIDO site trying to send mail, etc. It may be a FAX machine in an
office set to send something during the night, or it may just be a
phreak who has a grudge against you.  But yes, NJB has to help.  An
easier, less formal self-help approach might be to go with Caller*ID,
then when the goofus has been identified, sue him for the expense you
had to go to in order to find him. PAT]

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (09/16/90)

In article <12105@accuvax.nwu.edu>, hrmso!psp@research.att.com writes:

> Greetings, net.denizens ... I've been having a problem with getting
> hangups. I get them about ten times a week, both when I answer in
> person and when I let my phone machine catch the message. There's
> never any background noise to it, so I suspect this is an autodialer
> I'm dealing with.

> So I called up NJ Bell to complain, and they wanted to sell me
> Caller*ID, Call*Tracing, and a bunch of other silly things that I
> Don't*Need and Don't*Want. I understood those services to be
> "convenience" services, rather than replacements for the Operating
> Company's annoyance call bureau; and I certainly don't understand why
> *I* should have to shell out money to debug someone else's UUCP file!

The next time you get one of these calls, after you and it has hung
up, but before you place or receie another call, pick up your phone
and dial *57.  Listen carefully to the recording you should receive in
response to this.

Then call NJ Bell or the Police, and report the harrassing call, and
tell them that you invoked Call*Trace.

You will be charged $1.00 for doing this.  There's no other initial or
recurring charge.  Virtually all NJ Bell subscribers have this
service.  There's no initial sign-up or arrangement required.

Call*Trace records the last number which called you, and saves it
until you have had an opportunity to report the call to the
authorities.  The saved information is then made available to them,
but not to you.

The only limitation is that Call*Trace, for the present, only works if
the last incoming call was intra-LATA.  If the call came from outside
your LATA (NJ has three of them) then you'll probably want to pursue the
Annoyance Call Bureau.

Dave Levenson	     Voice:  908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.	     UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ,  USA     AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave