[comp.dcom.telecom] Looking for "The Phone Book"

bei@cs.utexas.edu (Bob Izenberg) (09/17/90)

I read a book some number of years ago called "The Phone Book."  It
was written by an ex-Bell employee, with the assistance of some
co-workers who were also canned for researching the book (or so the
book claimed.)  Can anyone point me to it's author or publisher?  If
you've read it, what did you think of it?  Was it the work of
disgruntled employees, or dead on?  Both, probably.

            Bob Izenberg [ ] Tandem Computers, Inc.
           cs.utexas.edu!halley!bei [ ] 512 244 8837

telecom@cdsdb1.att.com (09/17/90)

Bob Izenberg writes:

> I read a book some number of years ago called "The Phone Book."  It
> was written by an ex-Bell employee, with the assistance of some
> co-workers who were also canned for researching the book (or so the
> book claimed.)  Can anyone point me to it's author or publisher?

I found the following books in our library:

Title: Phone Book: What the Telephone Company Would Rather You Not Know.
Author: Hyde, J.E.
Publisher: Regnery 1976
isbn: 0-8092-8008-6

Title: Phone Book: The Most Complete Guide to the Changing World of Telephones.
Author: Kahaner, L.
Publisher: Penguin 1983
isbn 0-14-046621-5

Title: The Phone Book: The ABC's of Telephone Communication
Author: Klein, Jean H.
Publisher: Norfold: Donning Co. 1987
isbn: 0-89865-542-0

Hope this helps.