[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Sourcebook Info

Thomas Lapp <thomas%mvac23.uucp@udel.edu> (09/11/90)

In the TELECOM digest of 16 August, Patrick wrote:

> The AT&T Catalog is now available to the public. Phones, computers,
> FAX machines, headsets and more. Almost everything they sell is
> listed. To get your copy, call 1-800-635-8866.

I called them today, and the lady taking my call indicated that she
would send me a catalog, but that the info in it was more oriented
toward business customers (I don't recall if she said that they
WOULDN'T sell to individuals) rather than residential.  For that, she
gave me another number to try for the residential catalog of products.
That number is 1-800-451-2100.

tom

internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu (home)
             : 4398613@mcimail.com (work)
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas
Location     : Newark, DE, USA

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (09/11/90)

In article <11962@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Thomas Lapp <thomas%mvac23.uucp
writes:

> In the TELECOM digest of 16 August, Patrick wrote:

>> listed. To get your copy, call 1-800-635-8866.

> gave me another number to try for the residential catalog of products.
> That number is 1-800-451-2100.

The first number is their heavy duty LARGE customer catalog and
includes lots of DATA stuff, too.

The second number is really the SMALL business number.

There is yet a third number for consumer stuff that includes household
non telephone merchandise.

That one is 800.634.4343

nagle@uunet.uu.net (John Nagle) (09/13/90)

      There are a number of AT&T customer service numbers and
catalogs.  A complete list, for reference, would be useful.

      I recommend "A Technical History of the Bell System" (6 vols)",
which can be ordered from Bellcore for only $20 or so per volume.
"Switching Technology, 1925-1975" is probably of the most general
interest.  After reading it, I have a much better idea of how some of
the basic design decisions of the phone system were made.

Understanding how the network grew and how it was organized is
valuable for anyone involved with large data networks.

John Nagle

david@uunet.uu.net (David E A Wilson) (09/18/90)

decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!nagle@uunet.uu.net (John Nagle) writes:

>I recommend "A Technical History of the Bell System" (6 vols)",
>which can be ordered from Bellcore for only $20 or so per volume.
>"Switching Technology, 1925-1975" is probably of the most general
>interest.  After reading it, I have a much better idea of how some of
>the basic design decisions of the phone system were made.

Is this "A History of Engineering and Science in the Bell System"?  I
have borrowed a copy from my University library which is subtitled
"The Early Years (1875-1925)" first printed in 1975 (Library of
Congress Catalog Card Number: 75-31499). It is quite interesting but I
would like to read the later volumes (which the library does not
have). Does anyone have the full name of all the volumes and their
ISBN or other identifiers?

David Wilson	Dept Comp Sci, Uni of Wollongong	david@cs.uow.edu.au