[comp.dcom.telecom] Sprint Puts it in Writing: On Your Bill!

eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) (09/15/90)

C'mon, folks.  Enough whining about Sprint "putting it in writing".
Save a few ATT bills, switch to Sprint, and compare the quality of
service as well as the price for your calls.  That should be plenty of
writing for you.  Use 10333 if you just want to try out Sprint's
standard rates.  If you make $8 of long distance per month, sign up
for Sprint Plus and you'll get night rates from 5pm on -- that's about
10 cents per minute anywhere in US.

A sincere long distance fiend,

eli

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (09/16/90)

They did, indeed ... for the WD40 promotion, it took four phone calls
to get them to apply the free hour credit that I 'won' in the promo,
and then four more phone calls to get two "non-recurring" $10 charges
stricken from my account ... not to mention that things stricken from
my account showed up on the next statement because (according to the
Sprint CSR) it may take up to 45 days to appear on the statement.

Right.

That's all the writing I needed to see ... I had hoped things would
have gotten better since I last used Sprint regularly, but I see they
haven't.

# Henry Mensch  /  <henry@garp.mit.edu> /  E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>
#     via X.400: S=mensch; OU=informatik; P=tu-muenchen; A=dbp; C=de

Tad.Cook%ssc.UUCP@hpubvwa.uucp (09/18/90)

In article <12176@accuvax.nwu.edu>, eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias)
writes:

> C'mon, folks.  Enough whining about Sprint "putting it in writing".
> Save a few ATT bills, switch to Sprint, and compare the quality of
> service as well as the price for your calls.  That should be plenty of
> writing for you.  Use 10333 if you just want to try out Sprint's
> standard rates.  If you make $8 of long distance per month, sign up
> for Sprint Plus and you'll get night rates from 5pm on -- that's about
> 10 cents per minute anywhere in US.

I agree with Eli!  Enough bashing of carriers because they are not
AT&T!  I have two lines at home, one uses MCI, the other Sprint as the
default carriers.  I have had nothing but great service from each.

At work we use AT&T.  They have been getting better, but for a long
time Sprint's audio quality was FAR SUPERIOR to AT&T.  This varied
with the location called, but Sprint was always better.  Now as AT&T
gradually upgrades it's massive embedded plant, they are getting
better too.

Now unlike John Higdon, I don't run Trailblazers or HSTs at 9600 bps,
but my various 2400bps modems have had no problems with Sprint (or
MCI).

During the time when we had to choose a default carrier, I ran some
rough tests by ear, using the 10XXX access.  For most places, MCI and
Sprint sounded superior.  At one time before MCI retired their older
microwave gear, calls from Seattle to the east coast didn't sound so
hot, but now they are fine.

Was Sprint the first carrier to offer SS7?

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544        Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad     or, tad@ssc.UUCP