[comp.dcom.telecom] Telecom in Alaska

"Lou Judice, 908-562-4103 <judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com> (09/13/90)

I recently took a vacation in Alaska (mostly the interior areas), and
was fascinated by the question of how telecom services are provided
there.

For example, 60 miles north of the Artic Circle, in Coldfoot, AK, we
were able to make AT&T credit card calls on any of the two or three
phones located in this town/truckstop of 23 residents. The only
seemingly possible means of communication with the outside would be
satellite (there were crude downlinks in the town) or possibly sharing
the Alaska Pipeline microwave system? At any rate it was pretty
amazing to be WELL past the middle of nowhere and be able to make
phone calls to our heart's content.

In the cities (Fairbanks and Anchorage) it appeared as though the
local telcos were municipal utilties. One odd thing - the phone book
contained (in both cities) a two page set of instructions on what to
do in the event of a nuclear attack - something I can't remember
seeing in a while.

As a former RCA-er, I know that Alaskcom, the long distance carrier in
Alaska was formerly part of that great old company. I seem to recall
it being sold to a west coast power utility in the early 1980's.

Lou

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (09/14/90)

judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com (Lou Judice, 908-562-4103) writes:

> For example, 60 miles north of the Arctic Circle, in Coldfoot, AK, we
> were able to make AT&T credit card calls on any of the two or three
> phones located in this town/truckstop of 23 residents. The only
> seemingly possible means of communication with the outside would be
> satellite (there were crude downlinks in the town) or possibly sharing
> the Alaska Pipeline microwave system?

Satellite, it is. During the heyday of oil wealth in Alaska, nearly
every village got a small earth station. I'd hesitate to call them
crude, as well. They are small-dish sites, but very capable. The state
distributes entertainment TV to the villages over them, as well as
telephone and datalink services. (before the oil crash, the state ran
2 seperate channels, one dedicated to education. budget cuts forced
one of the channels to be cut ... care to guess which one? :-( )

> In the cities (Fairbanks and Anchorage) it appeared as though the
> local telcos were municipal utilties.

I believe only Anchorage is municipally owned. There was a great big
stink last year when the Mayor tried to strongarm the city into
selling Anchorage Telephone Utility to Pacific Tel. The Mayor
claimed that selling the utility was a Good Thing, and that there
would be dozens of offers. When the bids closed, only one company had
bid at all (Pacific Tel), and they bid just over the minimum. The
Municipal Assembly forced a ballot initiative, and then ensued one of
the biggest PR whitewashes I have ever seen. Pacific Tel spent
over a million dollars in advertising and promotion to try and get the
sale approved.  They failed, but I'm sure the Mayor will try again.
(he sees selling the city's assets as a quick fix for their cash-flow
problems.)

> As a former RCA-er, I know that Alaskcom, the long distance carrier in
> Alaska was formerly part of that great old company. I seem to recall
> it being sold to a west coast power utility in the early 1980's.

'Twas 1978, and the buyer was Pacific Tel ... in fact, PT owns
something like 67% of the telephone service providers in Alaska,
including Alascom and Alaskanet. That was part of the concern over PT
obtaining ATU. It would have increased their control to over 80%.

Still, Alaska's telephone service is a far cry from what it was when I
first arrived there in 1970. Back then, all long-distance was carried
on the White Alice Communications System, which was run by the Army.
In the early 70's, WACS was sold to RCA and became RCA Alascom, but it
still operated over ancient Tropo Scatter microwave links. Satellite
links were placed in the major cities by about 1976, and the oil boom
extended the satellite coverage through the early 80's.

Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu

crawford@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Brian Crawford) (09/18/90)

In article <12106@accuvax.nwu.edu>, judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com (Lou
Judice) writes:

> I recently took a vacation in Alaska (mostly the interior areas), and
> was fascinated by the question of how telecom services are provided
> there.

Just happened to go there myself: Attended High School in Wasilla
during the late 70's / early 80's.

> In the cities (Fairbanks and Anchorage) it appeared as though the
> local telcos were municipal utilties. One odd thing - the phone book
> contained (in both cities) a two page set of instructions on what to
> do in the event of a nuclear attack - something I can't remember
> seeing in a while.

Don't suppose the Anchorage Telephone Utility is still charging ten
cents for a pay phone call, are they?  They were still that low long
before the 'lower 48' went to 25 cents in most places!

If I remember correctly, my CO, Matanuska Telephone, was considered
<ahem> a "Non-Profit Organization"

> As a former RCA-er, I know that Alaskcom, the long distance carrier in
> Alaska was formerly part of that great old company. I seem to recall
> it being sold to a west coast power utility in the early 1980's.

Yep.  PP&L bought them out in 1980.  Recently, Gencom (or something
else, I can't remember the exact name) took Alaskcom to court over
getting the right to offer long distance service per equal access and
won.

Phone service up there was always a little unique and was somewhat
different than the Bell System before the diversture.

They leased an entire RCA F# satellite back then.  First it was F1 I
think just after RCA F2 was first launched.  It's been a long time.
One benefit to Alaskans of this was all U of Alaska campuses and
community colleges had email ties to each other for student use way
back then, before these networks really hit it big.

Brian

) (09/18/90)

The Alaskans use a RCA satellite all to themselves. It's Called Aurora
F5 (or it could also be called SATCOM F5). It can only be seen in the
Western US because it's so far West so it could be picked up in
Alaska.

Mike Jezierski   IWNQ500@INDYVAX.BITNET   IWNQ500@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
         Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis

This is my view because this this place won't pay me enough for my opinions