[comp.dcom.telecom] Splitting Call Transmission Directions

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (09/16/90)

In article <11532@accuvax.nwu.edu> dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl (Dolf
Grunbauer) writes:

> I always assumed that when making a telephone call the line to the
> otherside is the same the line back from him to me. The other day
> someone told me that this is not the case, especially when making a
> international phone call.  According to him it is possible that for
> example when calling from Europe to the USA one line could use a
> satellite connection while the other could use a transatlantic cable.
> Is this true?

	Unless echo suppressors have become *much* more sophisticated
than those with which I was once familiar, I would be surprised if
such vastly different propagation paths could be used on the E-W and
W-E directions of a given intertoll circuit.

	Control of echo on intertoll circuits can be implemented by
simple attenuation in the trivial case, and voice-switched attenuation
through echo suppressors in the more common case.  The proper design
of intertoll circuits, including configuration of echo suppressors, is
governed by the Via Net Loss (VNL) concept.  VNL design requires
knowledge of propagation delay in milliseconds.  At the time I was
involved in the telephone industry, the VNL design with which I was
familiar imposed a maximum of 22.5 milliseconds propagation delay to a
DDD switching midpoint, with an maximum overall delay of 45
milliseconds on any given DDD circuit.  It was always a "given" that
VNL design required the same propagation delay in each direction.

	While I admit that I have no firsthand experience with
intertoll circuits involving satellites or transoceanic cable, I would
find it difficult to believe that any satisfactory transmission (and
echo) performance could be achieved with the E-W and W-E directions
that have widely *differing* propagation times.

	Obviously, satellite transmission by its very nature imposes
propagation delays which far exceed 45 milliseconds.  However, echo
suppressors and intertoll circuit design can be set up to deal with
such increased propagation delays - *provided* that the delay is equal
in each direction.

	Also, I can think of no valid reason to split E-W and W-E
routing between different transmission facilities.  *ALL* transmission
facilities used for intertoll circuits are, by their very nature,
bi-directional.  While I have seen all sorts of route diversity and
failure protection switching, I have never seen anything that split
transmission directions through different facilities.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.
     {boulder||decvax||rutgers||watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
VOICE: 716/688-1231 || FAX: 716/741-9635  {utzoo||uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

ijk@violin.att.com (Ihor J Kinal) (09/18/90)

Larry Lippman wrote:

> Also, I can think of no valid reason to split E-W and W-E
> routing between different transmission facilities.  *ALL* transmission
> facilities used for intertoll circuits are, by their very nature,
> bi-directional.  While I have seen all sorts of route diversity and
> failure protection switching, I have never seen anything that split
> transmission directions through different facilities.

The way I remember this, the reason that a split was put into effect
was excessive delay on satellite calls.  Remember that the satellites
are at approx 22,000 miles up.  Double that, and it means that we need
approx a quarter of a second to traverse in ONE direction. [Speed of
light = 186,000 m.p.s.].

If both sides went over satellite, that would mean a half-second of
extra delay from when one person stopped talking, until the next
person could possibly reply.  This much delay would then then cause
the original person to start talking again, to see if the distant
party was still there, leading to great confusion.

Ihor Kinal
att!cbnewsh!ijk

[Include standard disclaimers and although I work at Bell Labs, I
never did any work satellite communications - I'm just a software
person anyway.]

grayt@uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) (09/18/90)

In article <12220@accuvax.nwu.edu> kitty!larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry
Lippman) writes:

>In article <11532@accuvax.nwu.edu> dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl (Dolf
>Grunbauer) writes:

>> I always assumed that when making a telephone call the line to the
>> otherside is the same the line back from him to me. The other day
>> someone told me that this is not the case, especially when making a
>> international phone call.  According to him it is possible that for
>> example when calling from Europe to the USA one line could use a
>> satellite connection while the other could use a transatlantic cable.
>> Is this true?

>Unless echo suppressors have become *much* more sophisticated
>than those with which I was once familiar, I would be surprised if
>such vastly different propagation paths could be used on the E-W and
>W-E directions of a given intertoll circuit.

Echo suppressors have been succeeded by echo cancellers and differing
W-E and E-W paths are used in the network.

>Control of echo on intertoll circuits can be implemented by
>simple attenuation in the trivial case, and voice-switched attenuation
>through echo suppressors in the more common case.  The proper design
>of intertoll circuits, including configuration of echo suppressors, is
>governed by the Via Net Loss (VNL) concept.  VNL design requires
>knowledge of propagation delay in milliseconds.  At the time I was
>involved in the telephone industry, the VNL design with which I was
>familiar imposed a maximum of 22.5 milliseconds propagation delay to a
>DDD switching midpoint, with an maximum overall delay of 45
>milliseconds on any given DDD circuit.  It was always a "given" that
>VNL design required the same propagation delay in each direction.

The control of echo is given by the requirement of the echo path delay
which is the ROUND TRIP delay of a connection. For echo it doesn't
matter if one path has longer dealy than the other only the total
delay is important. The delay ind thus loss for different frequencies
is of course different and thus a measure called the Weighted Echo
Path Loss is generated.

WEPL = -20log (1/3200 Integral 200 to 3400 (10**-EPL(f)/20) df

 From this measure the required loss around the loop may be derived
from curves of subjective measurements.  This may be partitioned in
any manner on transmit and receive paths with no effect on the
perception of echo.

The VNL plan has been superseded in the digital network by the fixed
loss plan since the VNL assumed losses in trunks that do not occur in
digital trunks. Rather than place digital pads in the network (and
ruin transmission) appropriate analog pads are used at the end points.

>While I admit that I have no firsthand experience with
>intertoll circuits involving satellites or transoceanic cable, I would
>find it difficult to believe that any satisfactory transmission (and
>echo) performance could be achieved with the E-W and W-E directions
>that have widely *differing* propagation times.

Separating the transmit and receive paths between terrestrial and
satellite paths lowers the echo path delay (round trip delay) and
lowers the requirements on the echo cancellers. Such split path trunks
are used.

>Obviously, satellite transmission by its very nature imposes
>propagation delays which far exceed 45 milliseconds.  However, echo
>suppressors and intertoll circuit design can be set up to deal with
>such increased propagation delays - *provided* that the delay is equal
>in each direction.

The allocation of delay to tranmit and receive paths is unimportant
Only the round trip (echo path) delay is perceptible to the user.

>I have never seen anything that split transmission directions
>through different facilities.

Such facilities do exist.

Utoto@crash.cts.com (Toto uucp) (09/21/90)

In article <12315@accuvax.nwu.edu> ijk@violin.att.com (Ihor J Kinal)
writes:

>If both sides went over satellite, that would mean a half-second of
>extra delay from when one person stopped talking...

Would any reader care to confirm or deny the rumor I heard that in the
late 1970's AT&T used "satellite avoidance codes" for its inbound WATS
(now called "800 Service") customers receiving data calls?  As I
recall, certain 800-NNX codes were guaranteed a terrestial routing;
e.g., 800-223 (NYC Broadway 24) was an avoidance code, but its sister,
800-221, might catch a satellite hop on a transcontinental call.

Bill Cerny
bill@toto.info.com   |   attmail: !denwa!bill

harrism@omhftre.raidernet.com (Mark Harris) (09/23/90)

kitty!larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) writes:

> Unless echo suppressors have become *much* more sophisticated
> than those with which I was once familiar, I would be surprised if
> such vastly different propagation paths could be used on the E-W and
> W-E directions of a given intertoll circuit.

I recently took a course in telephony taught by a person with many
years experience working for Bell Canada, ATT, and BNR.  He stated
that, in general, overseas calls try to avoid using a satellite path
for both E-W and W-E directions.  The reason he gave was to avoid a
long delay between, say, a question and a response.

Mark Harris
UUCP: ...!uunet!mjbtn!raider!omhftre!harrism
Domain: harrism@omhftre.raidernet.com