[comp.dcom.telecom] Audible Ringback

Donald E. Kimberlin <0004133373@mcimail.com> (09/24/90)

Dell writes <in Digest V10, Iss648>:

>What you hear (called 'ringback' in the telephony industry) does not
>directly correspond to the ringing of the phone on the other end of
>the line.

In fact, its "slang name" among many local telco people is "pacifier
ring."

>The ringback tone is just put there to let you know that the phone is
>actually ringing on the other end.

Correction: I'd like to say it means that there is a presumption that
the phone on the other end is ringing.  If the instrument on the
receiving end is dead or optioned off; if the line is open, or if,
indeed there is a ringing relay in the office out of adjustment, you
get the "pacifier," but nothing notifies the party you are calling.
This IS a major weakness of the analog plant that ISDN will cure ...
someday.

Incidence of maladjusted ringing relays in mechanical plant is FAR
higher than anyone would ever admit, as well.  I found one town of
about 10,000 people in New Jersey where a full 60% of incoming long
trunk calls from other exchanges were not ringing through!  Saddest of
all, this condition was known and permitted to continue for months,
even by the telco plant management of the entire area.  Such
situations were not unusual in the days of the telco monolith, and
probably still exist in some corners.  THESE are the sorts of
"problems" that the stock answer of, "Just wait for the new exchange"
are meant for ... but in the meantime, just do the maintenance job you
are being paid for?  Nah.