[comp.dcom.telecom] Signal Routes?

tcwst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Timothy C Wolfson) (09/13/90)

I am doing some research for a legal paper and would like to know if
anyone here can answer the following questions (or point me in the
right direction) :

1.) I use my telephone to make an intrastate call. Is there a
possibility that the signals, whether via wire or microwave, etc.,
will be routed over the state line?

2.) Same idea, but instead of a telephone, I send an email message to
another computer on a network.

Your help is much needed and will be deeply appreciated.

         Tim Wolfson      |  Internet: tcwst@unix.cis.pitt.edu
         Pitt Law         |  CCNet   : tcwst@CISUNX
         PGH, PA 15260    |  UUCP    : tcwst@cisunx.uucp
         (412) 486-0182   |  Bitnet  : TCWST@PITTVMS.BITNET

[Moderator's Note: Yes it can happen, especially in metro areas
sitting on state boundary lines. But that is not considered
interstate. Interstate requires that a call originate in one state and
terminate in another. The fact that it may temporarily pass through a
different state for the convenience of the carrier does not count.  PAT]

William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.fidonet.org (William Degnan) (09/14/90)

On <Sep 12 17:31> Timothy C Wolfson (tcwst@unix.cis.pitt.edu )
writes:

TC> 1.) I use my telephone to make an intrastate call. Is there a
TC>possibility that the signals, whether via wire or microwave,
TC>etc., will be routed over the state line?

Sure. Happens all the time.

TC> 2.) Same idea, but instead of a telephone, I send an email
TC>message to another computer on a network.

Even more likely. If the email message depends on batched
transmissions over the PSTN, it often makes sense to send them to an
out-of-state hub and back in to take advantage of lower interstate
rates.

I wonder if any inferences may be taken from the trucking industry?

TC>[Moderator's Note: Yes it can happen, especially in metro areas
TC>sitting on state boundary lines. But that is not considered
TC>interstate. Interstate requires that a call originate in one
TC>state and terminate in another. The fact that it may temporarily pass
TC>through a different state for the convenience of the carrier does not
TC>count.  PAT]

Neither our Moderator nor I would be able to advise you as an attorney
on the finer points. It would, I believe, depend on the individual
case at hand.

I have believe I have seen Other Common Carriers (OCCs) taking what
would otherwise be intrastate traffic via an out-of-state Point of
Presence (POP) for the apparent purpose of providing service in states
were they had no other way of doing business. (Perhaps Don Kemp has
some comments on Petricca LD and their service to VT via MA?)

Disclaimer: Contents do not constitute "advice" unless we are on the clock.
William Degnan                   | wdegnan@mcimail.com
Communications Network Solutions | !wdegnan@at&tmail.com
 -Independent Consultants        | William.Degnan@telemail.com
   in Telecommunications         | UUCP: ...!natinst!tqc!39!William.Degnan
P.O. Drawer 9530                 | ARPA: William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.FidoNet.Org
Austin, TX 78766-9530            | Voice +1 512 323 9383

Donald E. Kimberlin <0004133373@mcimail.com> (09/24/90)

William carries a thread <in Digest V10, Iss 648>:

>On <Sep 12 17:31> Timothy C Wolfson (tcwst@unix.cis.pitt.edu )
>writes:

>TC> 1.) I use my telephone to make an intrastate call. Is there a
>TC> possibility that the signals, whether via wire or microwave,
>TC> etc., will be routed over the state line?

WD> Sure. Happens all the time.

In fact, the principle is worldwide.  You may have noticed recent
posts on here that a reader in South Africa found calls to Kuwait were
going via England.  It's a very common principle, much like mail or
freight, "Not your concern how we get it there, so long as we deliver
it undamaged." <Damage is a different story, though! What do you
expect?  Do you know WHAT we have to do to get it there for you?">

>TC> 2.) Same idea, but instead of a telephone, I send an email
>TC> message to another computer on a network.

WD> Even more likely. If the email message depends on batched
WD> transmissions over the PSTN, it often makes sense to send them to an
WD> out-of-state hub and back in to take advantage of lower interstate
WD> rates.

Adding to Bill's remarks, it is even more likely yet on an
international basis.  Many underdeveloped nations do not even
physically have a hub, so everything for the nation is done in a
partition of a larger nation's machine.  This principle extends at
least as far back as Telex, in which some notable cases were: Iran
Telex subscribers actually getting their Telex "dial tone" from New
York, about 9300 miles away; lesser cases for Trinidad getting theirs
from Montreal and Martinique getting theirs from Paris.

Makes for interesting routing table work in international public
networks.