[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering Machine Messages

Mitch Wagner <wagner@utoday.com> (08/30/90)

I have my full name on my home answering machine messages, "Hi. This
is Mitch Wagner. I can't come to the phone just now... " etc. etc.
etc.

I notice most people have just their first name, or even just "You
have reached 555-1212." This is, I think, so people don't give out
information that can be used to take advantage of them.

But, what information is that? "Gosh, you know my full name! Here's my
car keys!" Is there an actual reason for withholding this information?
Or is it just one of those paranoid, half-baked Krimestopper Tips that
makes just enough sense on he surface to keep people from questioning
it?

Mitch Wagner

VOICE: 516/562-5758             GEnie: UNIX-TODAY
UUCP: wagner@utoday.com         ...uunet!utoday!wagner

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.intel.com> (09/01/90)

In article <11589@accuvax.nwu.edu>, wagner@utoday (Mitch Wagner)
writes:

| I notice most people have just their first name, or even just "You
| have reached 555-1212." This is, I think, so people don't give out
| information that can be used to take advantage of them.

| But, what information is that? "Gosh, you know my full name! Here's my
| car keys!" Is there an actual reason for withholding this information?
| Or is it just one of those paranoid, half-baked Krimestopper Tips that
| makes just enough sense on he surface to keep people from questioning
| it?

Presume I'm a bad guy (I've been called that before, but you probably
shouldn't know that :-).

I am calling my friend.  I misdial.  I hear your message.  If you're
female, and I'm into harrassing, I wanna know what number I dialed so
I can look it up again, and harrass you later when you are home
(sexist comment intended ... there are probably other combinations
too).  If I'm a thief, I now know you probably aren't home, so I can
look up your address in the book, and rob you.

Basically, if I've looked you up in the book in the first place (or
I'm already in an ongoing interaction with you), I *know* who I've
called, so your message should just confirm it (with the minimum
information possible).  If I *don't* know who I've called, there's no
point in filling me in, from a security standpoint.  (Are there any
other uses for ID besides these two?  Write me if there are ... I'm
trying to keep up on pop security issues.)

Just another security weenie,

Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III
merlyn@iwarp.intel.com ...!any-MX-mailer-like-uunet!iwarp.intel.com!merlyn

wagner@utoday.com (Mitch Wagner) (09/03/90)

In article <11620@accuvax.nwu.edu> Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.
intel.com> writes:

# If you're female, and I'm into harrassing, I wanna know what number
# I dialed so I can look it up again, and harrass you later when you are home
# (sexist comment intended ... there are probably other combinations too).

Okay, good point. Still, I'm *not* female, and, as a matter of fact, I
ain't getting enough "harassment" lately, ha-ha.

# If I'm a thief, I now know you probably aren't home, so I can
# look up your address in the book, and rob you.

VERY good point. I am changing my answering-machine message forthwith.

Mitch Wagner

VOICE: 516/562-5758           GEnie: UNIX-TODAY
UUCP: wagner@utoday.com       ...uunet!utoday!wagner

nam2254%dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil@dsac.dla.mil (Tom Ohmer) (09/06/90)

 From article <11671@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by wagner@utoday.com (Mitch
Wagner):

< intel.com> writes:

< # If I'm a thief, I now know you probably aren't home, so I can
< # look up your address in the book, and rob you.

< VERY good point. I am changing my answering-machine message forthwith.

I did this, just the other day.  I NEVER pick up my phone when it
rings.  At home, that is.  My outgoing message used to be:

"Hello, you have reached 239-9519.  I'm either screening my calls, or
I just can't come to the phone right now.  After you hear the tone,
please leave your name, day and time of your call, and a message.  You
will have about 30 seconds.  Thank you."

Now it is:

"Hello, you have reached Tom at 9519 in Columbus.  When trying to get
me to answer your call if I am able, or when leaving a message,
include your name, as voices are not easy to identify on the answering
machine speaker.  Also, include the day and time.  Thank you."

I realize that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to spend a
little time and figure out what my full number is.  I'm just not
handing it out anymore.  Any comp.dcom.telecom.outgoing.message.gurus
care to improve on this?

Tom Ohmer @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
            DSAC-AMB, Bldg. 27-6, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH  43216-5002
UUCP: ...osu-cis!dsac!tohmer   INTERNET: tohmer@dsac.dla.mil
Phone: (614) 238-8059   AutoVoN: 850-8059   Disclaimer claimed

[Moderator's Note: How about this one for a succinct, to-the-point
announcement: "This is a recorded announcement. For your convenience,
this line is answered at all times by an answering machine. You will
never reach anyone direct at this number. At the tone, leave your
name, telephone number, a brief message and the time of day that you
called. If it is convenient for me, and I wish to do so, I will return
your call." Nothing left to the imagination, is there!  Another
machine here in Chicago I've called comes right to the point. It
answers, "You know what this is, what it is used for, and what to do
next." (Beep)   PAT]

oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (09/06/90)

>[Moderator's Note: How about this one for a succinct, to-the-point
>announcement: "This is a recorded announcement. For your convenience,

I rather like my friend's: 'Eric not home. Leave message.'

brian
oplinger@crd.ge.com

<#include standard.disclaimer>

ebh@argon.uucp (Ed Horch) (09/06/90)

 From Charles Bukowski's _Hollywood_:

    I decided to phone Francois Racine to see how he was doing.
    I got his answering machine:
    "Do not speak to me.  Speak to this machine.  I am nowhere
    and you are also nowhere.  Death comes with his little hands
    to grip us.  I do not wish to speak.  Speak to this machine."
    The beep sounded.

-Ed

malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) (09/06/90)

>[Moderator's Note: How about this one for a succinct, to-the-point
>announcement: "This is a recorded announcement. For your convenience,
>this line is answered at all times by an answering machine. You will
>never reach anyone direct at this number. At the tone, leave your
>name, telephone number, a brief message and the time of day that you
>called. If it is convenient for me, and I wish to do so, I will return
>your call." Nothing left to the imagination, is there!  Another
>machine here in Chicago I've called comes right to the point. It
>answers, "You know what this is, what it is used for, and what to do
>next." (Beep)   PAT]

I fell in love with an answering machine message from a recent 'Shoe'
comic strip, and adapted it for my machine. It's arrogant, it's
honest, and since putting it on my answering machine, the number of
telephone solicitations has dropped off almost completely (one call in
two months, when the previous rate was two or three every week):
"Hello. You've reached Sean Malloy and Richard Campbell. We can't come
to the phone right now, because we're listening intently to this
machine to decide whether you're someone we want to talk with.  So, at
the beep, start talking. If we want to talk to you, we'll probably
come on the line with some lame excuse, such as 'I was just on my way
out the door when the phone rang.' If you get all the way through your
message, and we don't pick up, it's because we don't want to talk to
you."

Sean Malloy
Navy Personnel Research & Development Center
San Diego, CA 92152-6800
malloy@nprdc.navy.mil

[Moderator's Note: Actually, I reprinted that Shoe cartoon here
several months ago, but it is worth a repeat. Thanks for sending it
in!  PAT]

browns@uunet.uu.net (BROWN, STAN) (09/06/90)

>[Moderator's Note: How about this one for a succinct, to-the-point
>announcement: "This is a recorded announcement. For your convenience,
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Arrgh!  This sort of thing really ticks me off -- being INconvenienced
is bad enough, but told that it's for my convenience goes beyond the
pale!  Why not be honest and say "For MY convenience"!  Otherwise, I
like this message.

Thank you, I feel better now!

Just for the record -- I am _not_ against answering machines.  All I
am saying is, don't pretend that it's for someone else's convenience.

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.  (216) 371-0043
The opinions expressed are mine. Mine alone!  Nobody else is
responsible for them or even endorses them -- except my cat Dexter,
and he signed the power of attorney only under my threat to cut off
his Cat Chow!

wagner@utoday.com (Mitch Wagner) (09/07/90)

In article <11763@accuvax.nwu.edu> nam2254%dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil@
dsac.dla.mil (Tom Ohmer) writes:

# [Moderator's Note: How about this one for a succinct, to-the-point
# announcement: "This is a recorded announcement. For your convenience,
# this line is answered at all times by an answering machine. You will
# never reach anyone direct at this number. At the tone, leave your
# name, telephone number, a brief message and the time of day that you
# called. If it is convenient for me, and I wish to do so, I will return
# your call." Nothing left to the imagination, is there!

This is called "surrendering to the criminals." My friends may have to
get a tape message when the call me -- at least they can have a
friendly, cheerful tape message.

# Another machine here in Chicago I've called comes right to the point. It
# answers, "You know what this is, what it is used for, and what to do
# next." (Beep)   PAT]

I used to have one that said, "Hi, you know who I am, what this is,
what it's used for, what to do, what to put in it, when to do it, and
why.  So do it. Bye."

Mitch Wagner

VOICE: 516/562-5758                                   GEnie: UNIX-TODAY
UUCP: wagner@utoday.com                          ...uunet!utoday!wagner

John.Pettitt@specialix.co.uk (09/07/90)

Oh well, since we are on this subject: Our machine at home has the
follwoing message:

<meeeeeoooowwwww> [sound of rather dim British Blue cat being
squeezed] As you can hear we haven't trained the cats to answer the
phone so you will have to talk to this thing instead <beep>

We have had several people leave "I seem to have the wrong number but
I like the message" plus one threat to call the RSPCA !

king@uunet.uu.net (Steven King) (09/07/90)

Then there's my friend's machine, which is really annoying the first
time you call it.

	"Hello? ... Yeah ...  Who is this? ... Uh-huh ... This is a machine.
	Leave a message.  *BEEP*"

Of course, if you're REALLY anti-social just record fast busy on your
outgoing tape...

Steve King, Motorola Cellular  (...uunet!motcid!king)

MCMAHON%GRIN1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (McMahon,Brian D) (09/08/90)

In TELECOM Digest V10 #624, Sean Malloy <malloy@nprdc.navy.mil>
writes:

>I fell in love with an answering machine message from a recent 'Shoe'
>comic strip, and adapted it for my machine.

Shoe had an even better one a few moons ago.  The phone rings on the
Perfesser's desk, and picks up with "Hello, this is Perfesser
Fishhawk.  No one can find the phone right now..."

To appreciate this one, you'd have to know what the Perfesser's desk
looks like.  Or mine.  I *know* there's a desk here somewhere, because
something must be holding up all these printouts.  "The paperless
office" -- the BIG lie!

Brian McMahon  <MCMAHON@GRIN1.BITNET>  Grinnell College Computer Services
Grinnell, Iowa 50112 USA   Voice: +1 515 269 4901  Fax:  +1 515 269 4936

In article <11810@accuvax.nwu.edu> abvax!iccgcc.decnet.ab.com!
browns@uunet.uu.net (BROWN, STAN) writes:

> Just for the record -- I am _not_ against answering machines.  All I
> am saying is, don't pretend that it's for someone else's convenience.

I don't know. Seems more convenient to leave a message than to keep ringing
back at random periods in the hopes of catching someone at a phone.

Peter da Silva.
+1 713 274 5180.
peter@ferranti.com

"Peter M. Weiss" <PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu> (09/08/90)

For the sake of your associates/friends who call you over toll
facilities, I would think it appropriate to have your OGM be as short
as possible.

Pete

gillett@ceomax.enet.dec.com (Christopher Gillett) (09/09/90)

Thus spaketh the Moderator:

>[Moderator's Note: How about this one for a succinct, to-the-point
>announcement

Hmmm.  Let's cut through all this and get to the absolute bare
essentials:

	"When it beeps...speak!"

 :-)

Christopher Gillett               gillett@ceomax.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation
Hudson, Taxachusetts              (508) 568-7172
Semiconductor Engineering Group/Logic Simulation Group
Disclaimer: Ken Olsen speaks for Digital...I speak for me!

SYSMATT@ukcc.uky.edu (Matt Simpson) (09/10/90)

The most succinct answering machine recording I have heard is: "You
have reached nnn-nnnn. Why?"

HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu (Robert M. Hamer) (09/11/90)

>[Moderator's Note: How about this one for a succinct, to-the-point
>announcement:  (text omitted)

Since the day I got my answering machine, its outgoing message has
been: "This is an answering machine.  Please leave your message.
Thank you."

barrey@ka (Barrey Jewall) (09/11/90)

In article <11877@accuvax.nwu.edu> motcid!king@uunet.uu.net (Steven
King) writes:

>Then there's my friend's machine, which is really annoying the first
>time you call it.

>Hello? ... Yeah ...  Who is this? ... Uh-huh ... This is a machine.
>Leave a message.  *BEEP*"

Not to run this topic into the ground, here's a couple of my
favorites, which my roommates and I have used in the past:

(soft, sultry, female voice)

"You know what this is, and you know what to do, so do it at the beep."

*******

Same voice, a little louder:
(Sound of erotic moaning in background)

Uhh, we can't get the phone now, oooh!, but leave a number and we'll
(BEEP!)

*******

I think the best one was when a friend of ours who works in a
recording studio let us mess around one night:

"Hello, this is the rock doctor, you're on the air."

(Extremely wasted-sounding individual)

" Uhh, I'm going to the Ted Nugent concert, and , uhh, I'm going to
take some pot, and some Acid, and a quart of rum, and some uppers man,
and ,uhh, I was wondering if there was anything else I should take?"

"Yeah, an ambulance!"

Normal voice- "We can't get to the phone now, so leave a message."

We had to take these off our machines when we sent out resumes with
our numbers on 'em... 8-(

Another friend's machine answers:

"This is the Wichita National Weapons Laboratory, please leave a
message."

+ Barrey Jewall                 ++ "My opinions are my opinions" +
+ barrey@novell.com	        ++ (rather self-evident, eh?)    +
+ Novell, Inc.- San Jose, Calif.++				 +

lemke@apple.com (Steve Lemke) (09/11/90)

PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter M. Weiss) writes:

>For the sake of your associates/friends who call you over toll
>facilities, I would think it appropriate to have your OGM be as short
>as possible.

Or, just get a machine that lets you punch in the "#" key to skip the
outgoing message altogether.  Many machines will do this (and
voicemail systems, too), even if the person who's machine it is
doesn't _realize_ that it can do this.  Try it next time you talk to
an answering machine.

In addition, date and time stamp is becoming quite popular these days,
and most people who call my machine now know that I have it and that
they no longer have to tell me what time they're calling.  And again,
most voicemail systems also time stamp incoming messages.

When I first got my present machine (the Panasonic one that someone
mentioned also functions as a room "bug"), my message said something
like "Hi, this is Steve.  Although my new machine will tell me what
day and time you called, it doesn't know your name or number so please
leave that at the tone."

Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose
Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!)

ted@eslvcr.wimsey.bc.ca (Ted Powell) (09/11/90)

In article <11888@accuvax.nwu.edu> PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter M. Weiss)
writes:

>For the sake of your associates/friends who call you over toll
>facilities, I would think it appropriate to have your OGM be as short
>as possible.

After confirming that it works on your make/model, tell your
associates and friends to press the * key as soon as they're sure they
have the right number, and they will get an immediate beep.

ted@eslvcr.wimsey.bc.ca   ...!ubc-cs!van-bc!eslvcr!ted    (Ted Powell)

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (09/11/90)

motcid!king@uunet.uu.net (Steven King) writes:

>Of course, if you're REALLY anti-social just record fast busy on your
>outgoing tape...

This reminds me of what I generally do the first time I get a new
number:  I call the number and record the "<beep> The number you have
reached ... <number> has been disconnected..." on a special outgoing
message tape, which I save for later use. Then, when the time comes
when the telemarketers are rabid (or it is primary season, where
candidates' staff members are calling you for your support) I leave
the "special" OGM tape in.

Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc.
Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917
UUCP: ...uunet!rayssd!anomaly!mpd -- Telebit:  +1 401 455 0347
XENIX Archives: login: xxcp, password: xenix  Index: ~/SOFTLIST

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (09/13/90)

(BROWN, STAN) writes:

>Arrgh!  This sort of thing really ticks me off -- being INconvenienced
>is bad enough, but told that it's for my convenience goes beyond the
>pale!  Why not be honest and say "For MY convenience"!  Otherwise, I
>like this message.

>Thank you, I feel better now!

>Just for the record -- I am _not_ against answering machines.  All I
>am saying is, don't pretend that it's for someone else's convenience.

	If you were one of the people who has tried to reach me at
what we here at Boeing euphemistically describe as an "office", you
would understand what a convenience the answering machine on my home
line is.

	I admit that the answering machine is something of a
convenience to me, but I think that it's likely much more convenient
to the caller, who no longer has to try to track me down and/or guess
what time I will be home.

	Store-and-forward (or forward-and-store) messaging is quite a
concept. Until universal email comes along, the answering machine is
probably the nicest thing I can do for the unfortunate souls who have
to be able to find me.

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com

korenek@ficc.ferranti.com (Gary Korenek) (09/14/90)

Every great once-in-a-while, I make a call, and the phone on the other
end is answered with "Hello".

I say "Hello, this Gary, (etc.).  Then I notice that there was no
pause on the other end while I said "Hello".  What I got was an
answering machine whose owner undeliberately left a OGM that fooled
me.

This happens to me maybe once or twice a year.  When it does, for a
brief moment I feel like a clod.  So on my own OGM, the first word is
something other than "Hello".  IMHO this is being cordial to whoever
is calling me.

When I first got my machine and recorded an OGM, my wife (girl friend
at the time) said my OGM was so long that she fell asleep when
listening to it.  I learned from that to make OGM's clear, short, and
sweet.  I think it's appreciated.

Gary Korenek (korenek@ficc.ferranti.com)
Ferranti  International  Controls  Corp.
Sugar Land, Texas          (713)274-5357

jbaltz@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Jerry B. Altzman) (09/14/90)

>"You know what this is, and you know what to do, so do it at the
>beep."

Uh oh. Creative answering machine messages were what we spent our
copious free time doing at Columbia :-)

Our message (in my suite) for a while was me, in my best bass, saying:

"SPEAK!"  (I think that's pretty much to the point)

For those Talmudic scholars out there:

"Hello, this is the law offices of Hillel and Shammai. Please leave
your name, number and brief message at the beep. These are the words
of Hillel.  Shammai says, leave your message first, and then your name
and number, but both are the words of the living God."

(Hillel and Shammai were Rabbis who almost always disagreed.)

DISCLAIMER: This isn't Columbia. This is me. Columbia is them.

jerry b. altzman         212 854 8058
jbaltz@columbia.edu      jauus@cuvmb (bitnet)
NEVIS::jbaltz (HEPNET)   ...!rutgers!columbia!jbaltz (bang!)

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (09/14/90)

In article <12012@accuvax.nwu.edu>, barrey@ka (Barrey Jewall) writes:

> I think the best one was when a friend of ours who works in a
> recording studio let us mess around one night:

> "Hello, this is the rock doctor, you're on the air."

My pal Norm was doing a promotion on his afternoon show on KOMO AM,
which is a 50KW clear channel station in Seattle.  He was giving away
$5,000, and he kept saying on the air live and in commercials:

"FIVE thousand dollars CASH!"

During this time, I cajoled him (it wasn't easy!) to make a tape for
my answering machine, which I still have.  It says:

"Oooooooo this may be YOUR LUCKY DAY!  You may have WON FIVE THOUSAND
DOLLARS CASH!!  Just leave your credit card number and expiration
date, and we'll get right back to ya!  THANKS for the call!"

Reading it doesn't do it justice.  You have to hear it.  Maybe someday
I can arrange to put it on for a weekend, just so Digest readers can
call and hear it!

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544   Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

appell@hou2d.att.com (David Appell) (09/15/90)

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:

>This reminds me of what I generally do the first time I get a new
>number:  I call the number and record the "<beep> The number you have
>reached ... <number> has been disconnected..." on a special outgoing
>message tape, which I save for later use. Then, when the time comes
>when the telemarketers are rabid (or it is primary season, where
>candidates' staff members are calling you for your support) I leave
>the "special" OGM tape in.

   My housemate did this once, and the confusion it caused among
callers, and their queries to the phone company, ultimately caused NJ
Bell to call him and tell him, "Hey, just cut it out, OK."

David Appell
 ...att!cbnewsh!david
david@cbnewsh.att.com

friedl@mtndew.tustin.ca.us (Steve Friedl) (09/17/90)

Michael P. Deignan tells of his "special" answering machine tape that
sounds like

	"<beep> The number you have reached ...
	 <number> has been disconnected..."

David Appell responds:

>    My housemate did this once, and the confusion it caused among
> callers, and their queries to the phone company, ultimately caused NJ
> Bell to call him and tell him, "Hey, just cut it out, OK."

What *legal* authority does the telco have to stop this kind of thing?
I believe that "cut it out please" is entirely reasonable for them,
and I am not looking to pick a fight with my local telco, I am just
curious what basis they have for recourse, if any.

Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / I speak for me only / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

[Moderator's Note: What *legal* authority they have to stop such a
message resides in the tariffs which address the problem of
subscribers who cause interference with the service given to other
subscribers. Since most subscribers -- relatively unsophisticated in
telephony -- would associate the tones and message text with an
'official' announcement regards the status of the line, it is
reasonable to assume the other subscribers would be confused by what
they heard, causing them to expend money (on additional calls to
Enquiries) and time (in consulting with the operator and the business
office) to detirmine what was going on. While the operator attempted
to place the call for the subscriber, she would be unavailable to
assist other subscribers. Thus a degradation in the service provided
to other subscribers. And since most subscribers would reasonably
associate the tones and message text with telco, telco could claim
that the person making such an announcement over the phone was
falsely claiming to represent, or speak for the company.    PAT]

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (09/18/90)

In article <12188@accuvax.nwu.edu>, appell@hou2d.att.com (David
Appell) writes:

> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:

>>This reminds me of what I generally do the first time I get a new
>>number:  I call the number and record the "<beep> The number you have
>>reached ... <number> has been disconnected..." on a special outgoing
>>message tape, which I save for later use.

> My housemate did this once, and the confusion it caused among
> callers, and their queries to the phone company, ultimately caused NJ
> Bell to call him and tell him, "Hey, just cut it out, OK."

I was playing with my answering machine one day and accidentally
changed the message to dead silence followed by the "If you'd like to
make a call, please hang up ...".  My sister called to talk to me and
got that message.  She hung up and tried again, and got the same
message (obviously).  She tried a few more times with no luck, and the
dead space before the actual beep was long enough that she wasn't
waiting for the beep.

She had the operator put the call through, same message.  She had the
operator stay on the line.  They tried to figure out what was going on
with no luck, but this time they stayed on long enough that I got some
of their dis- cussion recorded.  Finally she called me at work and
told me that my phone line at home was messed up and told me to call
the local office.  I called my home first and figured out what was
going on, which was good, since upon calling the local company I found
out that they were ready to disconnect the line until they could
isolate the problem.  I explained what had happened, and fixed the
OGM.  My question is, shouldn't the local company (Southwestern Bell)
have been able to tell that everything was okay and the problem was
just a bad OGM?  Or would the disconnect have been to simply prevent a
lot of calls from people calling my home and encountering this
message?

Eric Dittman     Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility
dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com    dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

[Moderator's Note: When you do something which causes a disruption or
degradation in the service of other subscribers, then telco can cut
you off if necessary. Although in your case it was an accident that
the message was played out, it did cause some wasted network resources
to say nothing of wasted operator's time.  PAT]

Appell) writes:

> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:

>>This reminds me of what I generally do the first time I get a new
>>number:  I call the number and record the "<beep> The number you have
>>reached ... <number> has been disconnected..." on a special outgoing
>>message tape, which I save for later use.

> My housemate did this once, and the confusion it caused among
> callers, and their queries to the phone company, ultimately caused NJ
> Bell to call him and tell him, "Hey, just cut it out, OK."

I was playing with my answering machine one day and accidentally
changed the message to dead silence followed by the "If you'd like to
make a call, please hang up ...".  My sister called to talk to me and
got that message.  She hung up and tried again, and got the same
message (obviously).  She tried a few more times with no luck, and the
dead space before the actual beep was long enough that she wasn't
waiting for the beep.

She had the operator put the call through, same message.  She had the
operator stay on the line.  They tried to figure out what was going on
with no luck, but this time they stayed on long enough that I got some
of their discussion recorded.  Finally she called me at work and
told me that my phone line at home was messed up and told me to call
the local office.  I called my home first and figured out what was
going on, which was good, since upon calling the local company I found
out that they were ready to disconnect the line until they could
isolate the problem.  I explained what had happened, and fixed the
OGM.  My question is, shouldn't the local company (Southwestern Bell)
have been able to tell that everything was okay and the problem was
just a bad OGM?  Or would the disconnect have been to simply prevent a
lot of calls from people calling my home and encountering this
message?

Eric Dittman     Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility
dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com    dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

[Moderator's Note: When you do something which causes a disruption or
degradation in the service of other subscribers, then telco can cut
you off if necessary. Although in your case it was an accident that
the message was played out, it did cause some wasted network resources
to say nothing of wasted operator's time.  PAT]

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (09/18/90)

A friend of mine's answering machine announcement says:

This is xxxx xxxx.
If you don't leave a message, I won't call you back.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (09/18/90)

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:

>During this time, I cajoled him (it wasn't easy!) to make a tape for
>my answering machine, which I still have.  It says:

>"Oooooooo this may be YOUR LUCKY DAY!  You may have WON FIVE THOUSAND
>DOLLARS CASH!!  Just leave your credit card number and expiration
>date, and we'll get right back to ya!  THANKS for the call!"

Hey! I know this guy!

He keeps calling my answering machine, telling me to call him back
IMMEDIATELY at 1-900-some-num. Then he grumbles something about "only
$9.95 per call..."

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (09/19/90)

|Michael P. Deignan tells of his "special" answering machine tape that
|sounds like
|
|	"<beep> The number you have reached ...
|	 <number> has been disconnected..."

I guess it is time to tell the best telco_tale I have ever heard. I
hope Mr. Moderator will keep his flames in check. First, it's not MY
story, and secondly, it comes from his Pax Belliphonis era, i.e.
recorded history.

A long long time ago, in a CO far, far away ... A friend of mine named
Phil opened a service business. Since, at that time, he lived with his
mother, he needed a second line for the enterprise. The only problem
was that the LAST sub on that assignment was a woman who led, shall we
say, an active social life. Men (LOTS of MEN) called at ALL hours of
the day and night. Some implied that they were paying for the phone,
and her apartment, and ... They tended to be upset with Phil's mother
(much less Phil!) when she answered the phone. They got very abusive
and DEMANDED to talk to Jane, who it seems, had left town in a manner
imitated years later by the Baltimore Colts.

Now Phil knew that his mother would not tolerate much of this. But
short of getting a new assignment, and reprinting all his cards and
stationary, AND telling all his customers, what could he do? Clearly
an answering machine was the solution. The only problem was: In those
pre-Carterphone days, you could not buy such. (After all, it was
FOREIGN EQUIPMENT.) So Phil called up his friends in the {deleted}
stockroom (guess where he worked BEFORE he opened his business) and he
soon had a used (oops -- remanufactured) 1B answering machine at home.

The only problem was: Only those folks willing to rent one were
supposed to have same. So Phil recorded the standard panel office
message "I'm sorry, the number you have reached is not a working
number" as an OGM. He also futzed with the box (more like a M1 tank,
really -- have you ever seen a 1B?) so that it answered with a flash
of supervision, then played the message, the way the CO did. (Alas, it
did NOT cut through to an intercept operator afterwards -- the way a
real disconnected number did.) All was fine for months. Most of the
men gave up on Jane, and Phil's customers all knew enough to talk to
the box. Besides, if you called from a coin slot, you got your nickel
back!

Then the machine started to take LOTS of calls. No messages, but there
were many click-click-click sounds in the background, along with some
words later heard on tapes made in the Oval Office. This kept up for
about a week. One day, Phil got back in a little early (1900) and sat
down to do paperwork. The phone went crazy. Ring, "I'm sorry.." Click.
Ring "I'm", click, etc. After about 20 rounds of this, Phil reached
over and answered the phone: "Hello?"

	"Oh my god, mister ... whatever you do, don't hang up," the
voice said.

	"Oh, why is that?"  Phil asked.

	"This is the telephone company, and you have REAL PROBLEMS
	on your phone."

Then the poor switchman went on to explain what had happened. It seems
that Ma had botched his bill, and claimed that he was three months
behind on his local service. So the business office called to chew him
out. But ... "the number you have reached" ... So of course the
Business Office asked Accounting why THEY were still billing this guy
whose line was not in service. They, of course, said it WAS in
service.  This filtered on down to the CO, where they checked his
pair. Nope, it is NOT tied to intercept at the frame. "Ring, I'm
sorry" ... But IT MUST BE! So they traced the pair out through the
cable vault. "Ring, I'm sorry" still came through.

So The Boss told Joe Frame to "CLEAR THIS TROUBLE before you leave
today" and that's what Joe was doing. At first, Joe thought it must be
crossed with another pair in the switch. So he unplugged the old
intercept announcment machine. "Ring, I'm sorry" ... So Joe's NEXT
thought was that the pair was SOMEHOW crossed with one ending up in
another CO. So, one after another, Joe was calling the night man at
the other CO's, having each one unplug HIS announcer, and trying
again.  Even in those days, that was a lot of CO's -- hence a lot of
calls. Joe had worked his way through about 60% of the list when Phil
answered.

Joe asked Phil's indulgence, and said he would call back.  Phil
answered, but as he said years later: "I really should have let it
ring through ONE more time." Joe proclaimed the trouble cleared, and
went home. Phil disconnected the 1B, and got a friend to help him move
it to the basement.

Oh, BTW. Phil got a refund for three months service. He would have
sent it back, but HOW could he explain it?

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu   (305) 255-RTFM
pob 570-335    33257-0335

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (09/19/90)

PAT said:

> And since most subscribers would reasonably
> associate the tones and message text with telco, telco could claim
> that the person making such an announcement over the phone was
> falsely claiming to represent, or speak for the company.    PAT]

I always thought any random SIT tones were a great idea to thwart
telemarketers. The really good ones are using predictive dialers that
use DSP chips to monitor the call and can switch to an idle agent
(assuming one is free) so fast that MOST of your "Hello" will be
heard.  Who you are, etc. also pops up on the agent's screen at the
same time.  The trunk to agent ratios can be 1.5:1 or higher. They
DON'T want idle agents.

That same DSP chip also listens for things other than human voice, and
SIT tones immediately indicate the called party is NOT going to be
answering, or so they think.

If telco complains, say you will stop using SIT tones when they
provide free telemarketer blocking for your phone. If you are a
regular at DPU hearings, and send a few letters a week to various
legislators about Telecom issues, I doubt telco would find cutting you
off worth while, even though they would like to.

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN)) (09/20/90)

Pat-

While I agree with you that making use of a Telco recording MAY
rightfully get you in trouble with said Telco due to false
representation, I find it hard to believe that the tariff(s) which
specify degradation of service were intended towards callers leaving
"confusing" outgoing messages.

For example, what if I had an Outgoing Message (OGM) on my machine
that said: "We're sorry, the number you have reached is being checked
for trouble. Please try your call again later. Thank you. 508-221."
Now this may SOUND like a NETel recording, yet nowhere is NETel
mentioned, and NO reference is made to the phone company at all.
Simply because something SOUNDS similar doesn't mean it is the same
thing, and in this case the entire OGM can be quite "legitimate" (ie,
everything said in there is true, as I may be checking the phone for
trouble and using the machine for my own purposes to see if I can call
in or not, and I don't want anyone else to call.) It may very well
sound a LOT like a NETel recording, but as long as I don't mention
"NETel" or the "phone company" etc., ie, I don't try to pass my number
off as one of theirs, then I doubt they can legally do anything about
it.

If you insist that they CAN do something about a message like this,
then where do we draw the line? Must I put a disclaimer in ANY message
which sounds SOMEWHAT similar to the Telco's saying "This is not XXX
Bell Co., but my own message!"?  That is to say, if I had a carphone
set *71 (no answer transfer) to my answering machine, and the OGM
said: "The mobile customer you have reached is not in the vehicle.
Please call 702-741-7626. Thank you. 415-3E.", can the telco tell me
to get rid of that message? If your argument is followed to its
conclusion, the answer seems to be "yes, they can." For example,
someone calls my car number, hears that I am not in, and then calls
702-741-7626.  The caller gets a dial tone (from the ROAM port). The
caller hangs up, and dials again. Same thing. After 10 calls, the
caller calls Directory Assistance in 702 and asks for me. No listing.
The caller then calls the operator, who if she isn't aware that "7626"
is a Roam port and/or it doesn't show on her screen (which HAS
happened - I've managed to make COLLECT call attempts to Roam ports a
few years ago!), will keep trying to get a non-dial tone answer, may
talk to her supervisor, and may then put in a trouble report.

Clearly, a LOT of time is taken up. And one could argue that I SHOULD
have said "Hi, I'm not around now ... if you are calling my mobile #,
try calling me at the Reno Roam port, 702-741-7626. Thanks. 415-3E.".

Yet what if that one answering machine served a group of mobile
phones, and we all wanted the same generic OGM? Then what? Do we have
to structure OUR OGM so that it is acceptable to the phone company?
How innocuous does a message have to get before no "disclaimer" is
necessary? I can think of numerous other OGMs that would cause similar
trouble. How about my brother, who sometimes has 30 seconds of a
guitar solo on his OGM? Too confusing? Too many people will call
operators asking "Why am I getting KZAP-FM on my phone line?".

Or how about some of my old college roomates, who were too busy to
leave a message and just left the OGM blank, and had an answering
machine that picked up so quickly sometimes you wouldn't even hear a
ring? What if someone called and claimed "I called 346-9999 and no one
answered and nothing happened at all." Should the Telco then call my
roomates and say "Look, we don't like your answering machine because
it picks up too quickly, and for that matter, we don't like the lack
of a message on your machine - put one on there or we will bother
you."

And while I'm at it, what if my phone line is used as a data line for
five days out of a week? Now lots of people try to call me during the
week, but they keep getting this busy signal. So one guy who thinks he
is particularly clever calls the operator and asks for a
"Verification" (which is free in my area.)  The op. tests the line,
says "It's in use", and hangs up. But the guy is very curious, so he
does this every day until he can get through - AND, he goes to
payphones each time so that the telco never knows it is really the
same person calling. Should the telco be able to tell me: "Hey, this
guy keeps calling you, and your line is always busy, and he is
bothering our operators,so we don't want you using the phone line so
much so that he can get through!"? Of course not! I am using my phone
for a legitimate purpose, and although the telco derives no revenue
from my usage (let's say it's a local call), it is certainly not my
fault that someone keeps calling the operators for a verification
every day.

Moreover, this is analogous to the answering machine situation: I have
a message which creates some confusion, so people call the operators
all the time, and this takes up the operators' time.  SO WHAT? The
Telco is getting revenue from the calls to my machine, and I am in
good faith leaving messages which *I* like to leave and which in no
way represent myself as an agent of the Telco. I am not trying to hurt
the telco, and I am using my phone line in the way which I see fit,
which doesn't actively cause trouble for anyone.

Although the tariff may indeed have implications for customers who
cause harm to the network (such as using line current to charge
batteries! :-)), I doubt that it was the intent of those who drafted
the tariff to prevent customers from leaving ambiguous or confusing
messages. Although an OGM may cause a higher degree of use of telco
faclities than would have otherwise been necessary, this is one of the
costs of being in the phone business, the same way that not EVERY
phone will be answered when it is called, wasting Telco (and possibly
LD) facilities on the attempt.

The intent of the tariff more probably lies in efforts to reduce the
use of non-Bell or non FCC certified equipment which the telco
previously feared would damage the network, to reduce the amount of
fraud committed by use of Telco facilites, to prevent customers from
using their lines to annoy other customers or to make it impossible or
more difficult for other customers to use their line(s) (as in a prty
line), etc.

Rather than put the burden of having an "acceptable" message on the
customer, it seems more realistic to expect the Telco to have people
well qualified enough to realize that they are getting a machine, and
can thus inform the customer. Simply because some customers are too
stupid to try to figure it out for themselves, or some operators too
lazy to listen to see what happens at the end of the message (or
whatever else..these are only examples) doesn't validate the phone
company in trying to prevent me from leaving whatever message I
choose, as long as I don't pass myself off as being their agent.

As noted above, there are so many other examples of instances where
the Telco's time is "wasted", that singling out answering machines and
allowing the telco to control the content of my OGM defies logic. If
they can't tell me to stop using my phone/keeping the line busy, why
should they be able to tell me that they don't like my message and I
have to remove it? Both circumstances may cause the Telco a lot of
trouble, yet simply ecuase it is the EASIEST thing for the telco to do
doesn't mean it is the right thing, and pesonally, I don't like the
idea of the Telco being able to censor or control the content of my
messages when it only tangentally may affect them.

Thus, I would say that since the message "<ALERT TONES> The number you
have reached XXX-XXXX is not in service." is not specific to the Bells
(Bell Canada uses it, as well as other telcos around the world, BT for
example...), one could have such a message on their line and not
violate any specific tariffs.  As long as the Alert Tones and the
message were not copies of a Bell recording (ie, you made them up
yourself or something) I can't see how Bell could get you on the
tariffs issue ... they may be able to on "impersonating the telco", but
that's a different story...! :-)

Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet

[Moderator's Note: Here is an example of how someone can send an 8000 +
byte message to rationalize the use of a misleading OGM for the
purpose of doing what they are apparently unable to do in person: Say
NO to a telemarketer and replace the reciever graciously.  Even if
your peculiar traffic patterns as described above were in fact real --
and I doubt *anyone* could have such bizzare requirements as you note
in your message -- there would still be no legitimate reason to add the
identification code on the end.  PAT]

watcher@ndmath.math.nd.edu (watcher) (09/21/90)

I had a friend that used MacRecorder and SoundEdit to digitize several
of PcaBell's "the number you have called..." recordings and then patch
them together into an OGM that, while resembling the telco's
recordings, could not possibly have been same; this was done with
reverb and echo effects.  Unfortunately, when most people hear the
tri-tones, they fear the worst and hang up; hence the next revision of
this message was preceded by him saying "WAIT! don't hang up...", then
the tri-tones, etc. thus it is obviously NOT the telco's message, even
though it is made up of the same component parts. Could this really be
considered copyright infringement, much the same way copying records
or CD's or photocopying copyright protected books at the library is
considered infringement (as per the statement in most books about
unauthorized reproduction, etc) ?

I was thinking (as I sometimes do) that a neato-keen OGM would be the
tri-tones, followed by "the person you have reached <name> is
currently out of service. Please hang up and try again later, or leave
a message for their convenience." This way people's OGMs would follow
the same general format, making the interface "standard". Perhaps this
is silly.  My message? Right now it's "we're sorry, we have lost the
picture portion of our picture-mission, however we will continue with
the sound..." I'm sure somebody out there in netland will be able to
guess where I got that little snippet of audio ... (there isn't a
newsgroup for that stuff, is there?)

James Watcher (yes, that's what it says on my driver's license)
nstar!watcher@ndmath.math.nd.edu (fast)
PO Box 875  Notre Dame, IN 46556 (slow)

In article <12141@accuvax.nwu.edu> tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:

> Reading it doesn't do it justice.  You have to hear it.  Maybe someday
> I can arrange to put it on for a weekend, just so Digest readers can
> call and hear it!

Digitize it and send it in to Pat. I'm sure he'd LOVE to ship binaries
with TELECOM Digest.

Actually, now that I think of it, an FTP site for answering-machine
messages might not be a bad idea. They're certainly more *useful* than
the dirty pictures group.

Peter da Silva.
+1 713 274 5180.
peter@ferranti.com

Donald E. Kimberlin <0004133373@mcimail.com> (09/24/90)

The story so far (in Digest v10, Iss648>:

>mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:

>>...l record the "<beep> The number you have >reached ... <number>
>>has been disconnected..."  which I save for later use.  Then, when
>>the time comes ...  I leave >the "special" OGM tape in.

David responded:

>My housemate did this once, and the confusion it caused among
>callers, and their queries to the phone company, ultimately caused NJ
>Bell to call him and tell him, "Hey, just cut it out, OK."

Gee, I'm surprised some minion of NJ Bell didn't swoop down with
intimidation that threatened disconnecting the phone for real, because
you were "violating the LAW" by transmitting a false message!  (They
really would be right, you know.)  Anyhow, must have been one of the
"new heads" in the business.  Refreshing in that regard.  Maybe we are
making some progress toward humanized relations in the public
telecommunications sector.