[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering Machine Messages and SIT

amanda@uunet.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (09/19/90)

I've been wondering how useful (or conversely, confusing) it would be
to have an answering machine message which started with an SIT and
then went on into a "normal" announcement.  This would avoid problems
with people who don't realize that they are not talking to a human,
and with any luck it would fool telemarketing autodialers :-).  Since
the message itself would describe how to leave a message, I wouldn't
think that it would "fool" anyone into thinking it was a telco
message -- it would just alert them to the fact that they aren't going
to be able to talk to the person they think will answer the phone.

Amanda Walker
amanda@visix.com

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (09/24/90)

In article <12335@accuvax.nwu.edu>, visix!amanda@uunet.uu.net (Amanda
Walker) writes:

> I've been wondering how useful (or conversely, confusing) it would be
> to have an answering machine message which started with an SIT and
> then went on into a "normal" announcement.

John Higdon claimed in a telephone coversation earlier this year that
recording SIT on an answering machine outgoing message tape will fool
many COCOTs into refunding money.  He claimed that this was very
useful on a personal voice mailbox, as one could walk up to any COCOT
and retrieve messages for free!

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544       Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP