[comp.dcom.telecom] What Is This World Coming To?

Lou Judice <judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com> (09/20/90)

I don't understand several of the recent postings in Telecom ... What
is the point of putting bizzare messages on your answering machine to
mislead some hapless telemarketing representative, when as Patrick
states, A POLITE NO THANK YOU WILL DO!

And exactly why would you want to even RISK interference with air
traffic communications by using your cellular phone while taxiing to
the gate on an airliner? Remember, an accident here may result in
severe damage to your portable cellular phone (not to mention you).

What exactly is this world coming to when we can no longer talk to
strangers, and/or can't wait two minutes to get to make a darned
telephone call?

Sorry, I just don't get it!

ljj

[Moderator's Note: Sometimes, Lou, neither do I. And there you have
issue 666 of the Digest. I wonder if the Devil made me do it.  :)  PAT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (09/23/90)

On Sep 22 at 22:07, Lou Judice <judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com> writes:

> What exactly is this world coming to when we can no longer talk to
> strangers, and/or can't wait two minutes to get to make a darned
> telephone call?

I would agree, but there was one time that I couldn't take it anymore
and whipped out the phone anyway. To set the scene, you have to know
something about the San Jose airport. Picture a sign that reads "San
Jose Municipal Airport" and the "Municipal" is scratched out and the
word "International" is scrawled above it. That describes the
pretentions.

OK, on with the story. I was scheduled to fly to Burbank (a minor
flight) and the delays were mounting. "Ladies and Gentlemen, we regret
to inform you [of another excuse for the flight being delayed]". So I
went to the nearest Pac*Bell payphone to call my customer and announce
my delay. It seems that all of the phones in the San Jose Cattle
Airport are on some screwy carrier back to the CO on 95 Almaden Ave.
And at that time, it was out of whack. Apparently the DTMF was being
distorted to the point of unrecognition. It took several attempts to
dial the call, and it was impossible to enter the calling card. The
operator could barely understand me (from any payphone -- they were
all the same) and so I gave up.

On board the plane, we hit more delays and were informed that it would
be at least twenty minutes before we would be in position to take off.
That did it. Out came the cellular phone and a quick and easy call was
made to my customer. Being fully aware of the RF ramifications, it was
the least I could do to an airline that had really blown it. However,
since we did eventually take off and arrive safely in Burbank, it
apparently did them no harm.

> Sorry, I just don't get it!

Sometimes one can't help it.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

ace@lever.com (Tom Ace) (09/25/90)

In TELECOM Digest issue 666, judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com (Lou Judice)
writes:

>   ...  What
>is the point of putting bizzare messages on your answering machine to
>mislead some hapless telemarketing representative, when as Patrick
>states, A POLITE NO THANK YOU WILL DO!

Hapless telemarketing executive?  No one is forced to take such a job.
Telemarketers know they are calling people they don't know, who might
be asleep, ill, eating, or otherwise occupied and who would rather
only be receiving calls from people they want to hear from.

>What exactly is this world coming to when we can no longer talk to
>strangers...?

The same place it has come to where telemarketers have lost a sense of
what is courteous.  It is the rare telemarketer who has asked me a
question like "is this a good time to talk?".  If someone wants to
sell me something, they can send me mail which I can peruse at leisure
and give all the attention I determine it deserves.

Also, the general topic of "talking to strangers" has little to do
with the vast majority of unsolicited phone calls.  Strangers call me
to sell me things, to take surveys, to solicit donations, and (about
once a month) to ask me to subscribe to the {San Francisco Chronicle}.
Only once has a stranger ever called me for the purpose of initiating
a friendly personal conversation -- and even though he called at 1 A.M.,
I talked to him for two hours.

Tom Ace
{sun,pyramid}!hoptoad!lever!ace