[comp.dcom.telecom] AMI on T1 Lines

Roger Fajman <RAF@cu.nih.gov> (09/24/90)

I would appreciate a short definition of exactly how AMI works on T1
lines.  I took a short course from Datatech Institute recently on
T1/T3 technology.  (I liked the course, by the way.)  Now I would like
to compare AMI to B8ZS for meeting one's density requirements on our
clear channel T1s, but can find only the definition of B8ZS in the
course notes.  AMI is mentioned as being less preferable, but is not
defined.

A reference to look it up in would be helpful too, especially if it's
a publication likely to be found in a computer-oriented library.

dave o'leary <oleary@noc.sura.net> (09/24/90)

Roger Fajman wrote:

>I would appreciate a short definition of exactly how AMI works on T1
>lines.  I took a short course from Datatech Institute recently on
>T1/T3 technology.  (I liked the course, by the way.)  Now I would like
>to compare AMI to B8ZS for meeting one's density requirements on our
>clear channel T1s, but can find only the definition of B8ZS in the
>course notes.  AMI is mentioned as being less preferable, but is not
>defined.

AMI is Alternate Mark Inversion.  Basically it means that each ones
bit is opposite in polarity from the ones bit proceeding it - this is
used to deal with capacitive effects, etc.  If two consecutive ones
bits are received on the line with the same polarity, it is called a
bipolar violation.  These could be due to noise or a bunch of other
factors.

One's density is defined in different ways, with a certain number of
ones bits necessary to maintain line energy and keep the repeaters in
sync.  FCC Part 68 and the AT&T 62411 specs disagree on what ones
density means.  I can provide more details if anyone cares.

AMI does nothing to meet one's density requirements by itself - it
just takes a synchronous bit stream and flips the ones bits.  B8ZS is
a technique used to maintain ones density - when the bit stream
contains 8 consecutive zeroes, the "Binary 8 Zero Substitution" code
is inserted in place of the 8 zeroes.  This code intentionally
contains a bipolar violation.  This is why you have to work it out
with the telco when you want to run B8ZS - their repeaters have to
pass the bipolar violations (BPV's) rather than "fixing" them.

Another technique for meeting ones density is called bit stuffing,
i.e. you simply clock the DTE slower than 1.536 Mb/s and but a one bit
into each byte, which is stripped out at the other end.  When you work
out the arithmetic it comes out to a DTE bit rate of 1.344 M/s, your
ones density is insured, and AMI works as usual.  The bit stuffing is
not standardized between CSU's :-( so if you want different CSU
manufacturer's equipment to talk to each other on different ends of
the T1 (and not lose the extra bandwidth) then you need to run B8ZS.
However, not all phone company equipment does B8ZS, although this
seems to be getting a lot better.  I guess this is why they say that
B8ZS is preferable.  Our C&P sales guy told us that B8ZS costs more
and that we need to run ESF to use it (which I didn't understand...if
anyone can explain that one I'd appreciate it).

So basically you are always kind of running AMI, its just that B8ZS
allows the special BPV's to get through.

>A reference to look it up in would be helpful too, especially if it's
>a publication likely to be found in a computer-oriented library.

I've seen a bunch of books on the digital hierarchy around - however
the ones I've purchased aren't with me right now.  Two that I would
recommend are a book by Bernard Keisler, which I can't remember the
title of (something like Digital Transmission Systems, it is yellow
with black lettering) and another book called something like "Megabit
Communications Systems", I can't remember the author (it is orange and
black).  The Keisler book is older and is more technical/mathematical.
The other book is new, from this year I think, and covers a wider
range of material.  I should have these books back by later this week,
let me know if you can't find them.  I saw the "Megabit.." book at the
Maryland Book Exchange and at Reiter's downtown today.

Good luck...drop me a line or give me a call if you have other
questions...

dave o'leary		oleary@noc.sura.net
SURAnet NOC Mgr.	(301)982-3214

bakerj@ncar.ucar.edu (Jon Baker) (09/25/90)

In article <12480@accuvax.nwu.edu>, RAF@cu.nih.gov (Roger Fajman)
writes:

>I would appreciate a short definition of exactly how AMI works on T1
>lines.  Now I would like
>to compare AMI to B8ZS for meeting one's density requirements on our
>clear channel T1s, but can find only the definition of B8ZS in the
>course notes.  AMI is mentioned as being less preferable, but is not
>defined.

 From ANSI T1.403-1989, Carrier-To-Customer Installation -
 DS1 Metallic Interface :

    AMI, Alternate Mark Inversion:  A pseudoternary signal, conveying
    bindary digits, in which successive "ones" (marks, pulses) are of
    alternating, positive (+) and negative (-) polarity, equal in
    amplitude, and in which a "zero" (space, no pulse) is of zero
    amplitude.

In AMI, one's density is maintained by converting a zero sample (i.e.
eight consecutive zero-bits) into a '2'.  Thus, clear-channel is not
possible.  This method of maintaining one's density is called Zero
Code Suppression (ZCS).

    B8ZS: Bipolar with 8-Zero Substitution.
    A code in which eight consecutive "zeros" are replaced with the
    sequence 000+-0-+ if the preceding pulse was +, and with the
    sequence 000-+0+- if the preceding pulse was -, where +
    represents a positive pulse, - represents a negative pulse,
    and 0 represents no pulse.

B8ZS basically inserts deliberate bi-polar violations when
transmitting a zero; the far-end is expected to detect the deliberate
BPV's and unencode them into the zero-sample without reporting an
actual BPV.

JB

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (09/25/90)

In article <12480@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Roger Fajman <RAF@cu.nih.gov>
writes:

> I would appreciate a short definition of exactly how AMI works on T1
> lines.  I took a short course from Datatech Institute recently on
> T1/T3 technology.  (I liked the course, by the way.)  Now I would like
> to compare AMI to B8ZS for meeting one's density requirements on our
> clear channel T1s, but can find only the definition of B8ZS in the

AMI simply means Alternate Mark Inversion, and translated to english
means that each one bit will have the opposite polarity of the
preceeding one regardless of how many zero bits are in between. In
fact if a plus follows a plus or a minus follows a minus, that is a
bipolar violation and is an error in a pure AMI system. The dumb
repeaters need to see some ones to keep their clock in step, so long
strings of zeroes are to be avoided.

All B8ZS does is replace a string of zeroes with a recognisable
pattern providing some needed ones that could not be normal data, and
that is itself balanced around zero (same number of plus 1s as minus
1s so there is no net DC component). This recognisable pattern is
simply replaced with the equivalent number of zeroes at the far end of
the span, but the repeaters see the ones they need to keep their
clocks in sync.

The special pattern B8ZS uses has two bipolar violations. There will
be a plus followed by a plus and a minus followed by a minus. The B8ZS
notes you found probably show that special string being substituted
for eight zeroes.  If you simply DON'T do that substitution, you have
a vanilla AMI line.

A vanilla AMI line can't guarantee ones density if all bits are to be
available for your random use. If you rob a bit fron each DS0 you get
your 56kb rate rather than the 64 you should have.

Some T 1/2 fractional services provided by a LEC may give you clear
channel on 'your' 12 DS0s, but they can simply ram ones on in 'their'
12 DS0s. Theirs will be every other time slot. You get the odd and
they get the even, or vice-versa. That way there can NEVER be long
strings of zeroes no matter what you send, and they can use most of
their OLD hardware to provide you the service. YUK.

Clear as mud, right?

bakerj@ncar.ucar.edu (Jon Baker) (09/25/90)

In article <12512@accuvax.nwu.edu>, oleary@noc.sura.net (dave o'leary)
writes:

> However, not all phone company equipment does B8ZS, although this
> seems to be getting a lot better.  I guess this is why they say that

It should gradually become more widespread.  B8ZS is the preferred
long-term method of providing Clear Channel.

> B8ZS is preferable.  Our C&P sales guy told us that B8ZS costs more
> and that we need to run ESF to use it (which I didn't understand...if
> anyone can explain that one I'd appreciate it).

Of course B8ZS will cost more, because it requires special equipment
to handle it.  There is no particular reason why B8ZS can not be used
in an SF format T1.  If they only support B8ZS on ESF, it is due to
limitations particular to the equipment they are using, or due to
their own (marketing?) restrictions.

JB